Pod Your Reef

Assorted creatures on frogspawn

ECLS Reefer

ECLS Reefer

Can anybody say what these critters are on this frogspawn? There seems to be two different types, possibly three. Is it going to take over and destroy?

C5663008-FD07-4DE2-8CAB-AD79FD50E34B.jpeg

E98D7155-AD3C-45C0-A674-CF58EA093A8D.jpeg

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Can anybody say what these critters are on this frogspawn? There seems to be two different types, possibly three. Is it going to take over and destroy?

C5663008-FD07-4DE2-8CAB-AD79FD50E34B.jpeg

E98D7155-AD3C-45C0-A674-CF58EA093A8D.jpeg

Vermetid snails. They can multiply quickly. 

You can scrape them them off or cover with super glue. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
ECLS Reefer

What about that tube worm beneath them? Is it going to be a problem? It’s not like any other tube worm I’ve seen before.

12 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

What about that tube worm beneath them? Is it going to be a problem? It’s not like any other tube worm I’ve seen before.

Spionid worm maybe. Have you seen it out?

2 hours ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Has two antennae, doesn’t come out too terribly much, appears to be a red/brown and white color. 

2DE36E1B-8A7B-4CEC-989A-63969B9D28FC.jpeg

That's a larger species of vermetid snail.

• Thanks 1

Superglue their tubes shut.  I use a laser to fry mine, but thats an expensive toy to buy if you only have a few... more fun though. 😄

• Haha 1
johnmaloney
On 7/20/2019 at 9:45 PM, mndfreeze said:

Superglue their tubes shut.  I use a laser to fry mine, but thats an expensive toy to buy if you only have a few... more fun though. 😄

Tell us more about this laser gun

It's a 5W blue laser I bought from htpow about a year ago.  I originally bought it to melt aiptasia and found it works even better on vermetids.  It takes a little longer per worm to do than just supergluing their tubes shut, but I don't have to get my hands in the tank at all to use the laser.

You just focus the beam at its tube and wait. About 30 seconds or so and you will hear it snap, crackle and pop inside its tube and sometimes a little bit of cooked worm shoots out for the fish to eat. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1