SaltCritters.com

Ok...I need a fish and some suggestions

Clown79

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

I am part of a fb group and also contacted stores.

Most can't do special order or they are limited to a list. Prices get crazy too.

I know someone who has a store and he tried ordering me a starck damsel. It was never in stock from the suppliers.

Population wise, we have a ton less hobbyists here, not really sure but I see a lot more with large tanks than nano's.

Even finding aquariums can be a pain. 3 stores that sell a few IM's(canada wide), Evo's everywhere, or standard rimmed.

I really wish livestock could be sold between our countries, that would be awesome.

Really sucks you're so far 😞...my LFS currently has a ton of starkii damsels for 17$!! they have an amazing sélection of corals as well. Otherwise I agree all we see are clownfish, tangs and other fish that are just too big for nanos 😕

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

Really sucks you're so far 😞...my LFS currently has a ton of starkii damsels for 17$!! they have an amazing sélection of corals as well. Otherwise I agree all we see are clownfish, tangs and other fish that are just too big for nanos 😕

Is it by chance jardins de mer? 

Yup, its definitely a huge tank industry here.

46 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Is it by chance jardins de mer? 

Yup, its definitely a huge tank industry here.

No it's Raging reef. Best store IMO. Also I think they ship, maybe you'd be able to get stuff this way 🙂

It's a 15 min walk from my place, which is very useful, but not always great for my wallet.  They have beautiful torches, frogspawn and hammers!! I wanna get all of them😭 but will at least get a "basic" one at 35$😁

2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

$17 Starkii is insanely cheap. They go for $40 at LFS here (rare) and LA jacked up the price now $80 😮

Omg I'm the biggest idiot I meant springeri damsel 😑

I've never seen starki damselfish here either

• Haha 1
NaturallyKait

It’s true, Canadian reefers really have limited options. Our LFS basically only orders every couple of months. Business is so slow it takes a bit for everything to sell. A lot of tangs, clowns and occasional gobies. They haven’t had a new shipment in since June except for a couple of fish they got from another store. They’ve had the same two mandarins in their frag tank waiting to sell for two months. The owner told me that basically all of the saltwater clients have big 100+ gallon systems except for me. Freshwater moves faster and has more smaller fish so he’s able to cycle through better stock faster. 

I will say the one positive to fish selling slow is you have had time to see them eat and inspect them. One of the LFS here sells fish so fast... that you have to take them fresh.... when they come in and hope they are not hiding parasites.

12 minutes ago, NaturallyKait said:

It’s true, Canadian reefers really have limited options. Our LFS basically only orders every couple of months. Business is so slow it takes a bit for everything to sell. A lot of tangs, clowns and occasional gobies. They haven’t had a new shipment in since June except for a couple of fish they got from another store. They’ve had the same two mandarins in their frag tank waiting to sell for two months. The owner told me that basically all of the saltwater clients have big 100+ gallon systems except for me. Freshwater moves faster and has more smaller fish so he’s able to cycle through better stock faster. 

NaturallyKait
8 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I will say the one positive to fish selling slow is you have had time to see them eat and inspect them. One of the LFS here sells fish so fast... that you have to take them fresh.... when they come in and hope they are not hiding parasites.

That’s true, just hard when they only get 1-2 smaller fish per order. Usually what’s left for weeks is tangs. And the inverts always go almost immediately but he can’t order again until he’s got space for no fish. It’s nice to know the two mandarins have survived a few months in captivity though. They may have even been there longer, I just know they’ve been there since at least when we finished cycling because I always love watching them when we go in. 

I wanted a valentini puffer. I decided to go a different way because cerith snails are hard to get here, let alone a supply to feed the fish and it's just too expensive feeding $3.00/snail to a puffer.

I see this regularly in stores

Tangs, Angel's, triggers, chromis, damsels, clowns, orchids, bi color blenny, watchman goby, various wrasse, bangaii, anthias. But it's generally the exact same species of these fish.

3.5yrs for a midas blenny!

4 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I wanted a valentini puffer. I decided to go a different way because cerith snails are hard to get here, let alone a supply to feed the fish and it's just too expensive feeding $3.00/snail to a puffer.

I see this regularly in stores

Tangs, Angel's, triggers, chromis, damsels, clowns, orchids, bi color blenny, watchman goby, various wrasse, bangaii, anthias. But it's generally the exact same species of these fish.

3.5yrs for a midas blenny!

Exact same here hahaha. A LFS has a golden midas...70$!! Not spending that much on a fish I cant even cure if it gets sick. I might try (again) a tailspot blenny 

38 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

Exact same here hahaha. A LFS has a golden midas...70$!! Not spending that much on a fish I cant even cure if it gets sick. I might try (again) a tailspot blenny 

Ya, prices are getting ridiculous and private sales, not much better.

23 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Ya, prices are getting ridiculous and private sales, not much better.

Yeah...I love Canada...but not when it comes to reefing lol😂

On 8/8/2019 at 5:31 PM, Melfy77 said:

Yeah...I love Canada...but not when it comes to reefing lol😂

Great country but things like limitations on this hobby suck. Lol

Got a fish.

Decided on a bangaii. Would have loved 2 but wasn't sure how well they do in pairs and was worried 5 fish total would be too much in my lagoon. 

Currently in qt and needs a name😁

20190810_184807.jpg

20190810_184917.jpg

• Like 4
2 hours ago, devaji108 said:

there such cool fish!  I think they add alot of anti color to the tank witch is nice makes all the others colors pop.  

I'm always drawn to colour but there's something about the fins, swimming pattern, and I love polka dots so it worked well.

My next plan is upgrading my 10g to 20g...my poor husband. Lol.

Thinking of an angel for that tank since it's only anemones.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I'm always drawn to colour but there's something about the fins, swimming pattern, and I love polka dots so it worked well.

I like Bangaiis Cardinals....they so uniquely colored.

Go for a 30g min if you planning on an angel imo!

7 hours ago, Clown79 said:

might as ell go with a 40br one of my fav. foot prints. get it at the $1 per gallon sale and your hubby will disown ya..haha while your at it grab the 20L for a sump and 2.5 for that pico haha  

57 minutes ago, devaji108 said:

might as ell go with a 40br one of my fav. foot prints. get it at the $1 per gallon sale and your hubby will disown ya..haha while your at it grab the 20L for a sump and 2.5 for that pico haha  

Unfortunately, I am limited for space. I can do the 20g IM

• Like 1