Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Ok...I need a fish and some suggestions

Clown79

On 7/20/2019 at 5:40 PM, Melfy77 said:

When I'm done TTM with the wrasse you could pick him up if you want to! Not sure how far from Montreal you are though lol

I wish I was close, that would be awesome. I'm 6 hrs away.

On 7/19/2019 at 4:54 PM, Tamberav said:

Lubbocks fairy wrasse are easy keepers and readily available here so may be able to find it there... they actually have variable patterns depending where collected and are highly variable baseline so look around for you one you really like the pattern of. 

I have a juvi coris on my IM 25 lagoon. Tiny thing, probably take while to get big.... active but not as spazzy as my leopard. Eats pests as a bonus. Also probably easy to find.

Springer damsels are a nice alternative to a starkii but not sure you will find them.

You have a leopard wrasse in the 25g?

I love them!

Do wrasse need a lot of sand because my sb is less than inch to an inch 

I think a Banggai Cardinalfish can also be a good competitor! I love the ones with the exceptionally long second dorsal finds. Makes them so spectacular! Not sure if they qualify for the "swimmer" tag you are looking for :-) 

14 minutes ago, Krish87 said:

I think a Banggai Cardinalfish can also be a good competitor! I love the ones with the exceptionally long second dorsal finds. Makes them so spectacular! Not sure if they qualify for the "swimmer" tag you are looking for 🙂

I'm debating on this too. There is something about the bangaii that is cool.

2 hours ago, Clown79 said:

You have a leopard wrasse in the 25g?

I love them!

Do wrasse need a lot of sand because my sb is less than inch to an inch 

No, they only need like 1/2 inch, if that. They seem to figure out to just go into the sand sideways. 

I do, although a leopard needs a bigger tank someday. 

it looks like years ago they brought in ORA captive bred fish to Canada, is this still a thing? Whitespotted Pygmy filefish are active all over and have tons of personality. Safe with corals and inverts too. 

1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

No, they only need like 1/2 inch, if that. They seem to figure out to just go into the sand sideways. 

it looks like years ago they brought in ORA captive bred fish to Canada, is this still a thing? Whitespotted Pygmy filefish are active all over and have tons of personality. Safe with corals and inverts too. 

Fragbox has some. I've seen filefish, dottybacks and obviously Clownfish from ORA. I would LOVE to get an orchid dottyback from them but all fish are out of stock lol

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Melfy77 said:

Fragbox has some. I've seen filefish, dottybacks and obviously Clownfish from ORA. I would LOVE to get an orchid dottyback from them but all fish are out of stock lol

I had an ORA orchid...mean as shit...fish and shrimp murderer after it hit a year old. They supposed to be more mellow but mine didn't get the memo.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I had an ORA orchid...mean as shit...fish and shrimp murderer after it hit a year old. They supposed to be more mellow but mine didn't get the memo.

Mm...yeah no I'm not gonna risk it hahaha. Thanks for the input. no orchid then lol. It's hard To get fish for than tank size. I have a green chromis in QT so far...

And clown79 I'm sure I've told you before but that yellow fiji leather is gorgeous!!! I need one of those hahaha. 

5 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I see them from time to time in 1 store, seems they are usually listed out of stock.

I'll look into this as well.

Thank you 

4 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

Mm...yeah no I'm not gonna risk it hahaha. Thanks for the input. no orchid then lol. It's hard To get fish for than tank size. I have a green chromis in QT so far...

And clown79 I'm sure I've told you before but that yellow fiji leather is gorgeous!!! I need one of those hahaha. 

Thank you.

Not easy to come by anymore. I waited 4 yrs to get it. Pure luck walking into big al's and it was there.

4 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I'd love a fish that colour like the black cap bass or orchid but I never see the bass and too many ppl have the same experience you had with the orchid. Such a shame, it's quite a beauty.

5 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

I replaced it with a royal gramma which just opens his mouth big at other fish but otherwise is okay.

57 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I'd love a fish that colour like the black cap bass or orchid but I never see the bass and too many ppl have the same experience you had with the orchid. Such a shame, it's quite a beauty.

Ya 😞 I ended up with a royal gramma. I love purple.

1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

Ya 😞 I ended up with a royal gramma. I love purple.

My damsels beat the crap out of a orchid dotty when I tried to add it. I wanted the purple too 😞

3 minutes ago, Matteo said:

My damsels beat the crap out of a orchid dotty when I tried to add it. I wanted the purple too 😞

I had the opposite problem, mine beat the crap out of damels bigger than it (except mama clown). Probably just depends which fish was added first. 

1 hour ago, Clown79 said:

I see them from time to time in 1 store, seems they are usually listed out of stock.

I'll look into this as well.

Thank you 

FYI don't let the fact it isn't brightly colored steer you away from checking them out. Filefish are extremely personable, very good eaters, and they can change shades/patterns based on mood and to blend in. They are often overlooked which is a shame. 

I have two and they mildly bicker over food but are otherwise social with each other. They pick at pods and bugs but never touched a coral. They will be out siwmming allll dayyy long and they will bite into algae or rubber (like pump cords) to sleep at night, they won't damage the pump, they can't bite that hard... just enough to hold on and zzzz.

41 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I had the opposite problem, mine beat the crap out of damels bigger than it (except mama clown). Probably just depends which fish was added first. 

Makes sense. I even did a rock rework and nope nothing. If I ever want to change my fish up the damsels will have to go unless I upgrade to something bigger. 

here is my list for your tank and  that are swimmers.

royal gramma

azure damsefish  I had mine 2.5-3 years now peaceful fish nice blue color 

blue/green reef chromis

mandy (hopefully you can get on trained to eat my all time fav. fish )

small flasher wrasse - may outgrow a 25 tho

6 line  wrasse ( a gamble here sometime there just mean and jerks. shame as there such a beautiful active fish otherwise )

4 hours ago, Tamberav said:

FYI don't let the fact it isn't brightly colored steer you away from checking them out. Filefish are extremely personable, very good eaters, and they can change shades/patterns based on mood and to blend in. They are often overlooked which is a shame. 

I have two and they mildly bicker over food but are otherwise social with each other. They pick at pods and bugs but never touched a coral. They will be out siwmming allll dayyy long and they will bite into algae or rubber (like pump cords) to sleep at night, they won't damage the pump, they can't bite that hard... just enough to hold on and zzzz.

That's cute. Its between that and a bangaii.

You guys have given me so many ideas...I need another tank. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, devaji108 said:

here is my list for your tank and  that are swimmers.

royal gramma

azure damsefish  I had mine 2.5-3 years now peaceful fish nice blue color 

blue/green reef chromis

mandy (hopefully you can get on trained to eat my all time fav. fish )

small flasher wrasse - may outgrow a 25 tho

6 line  wrasse ( a gamble here sometime there just mean and jerks. shame as there such a beautiful active fish otherwise )

Thank you.

I love 6 line wrasse but man, it's such a shame they can be a holes as they grow up.

A small shoal of masked gobies would hover in the water column and be peaceful. However I don’t know how easy/hard it would be to get them. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, IceParrot said:

A small shoal of masked gobies would hover in the water column and be peaceful. However I don’t know how easy/hard it would be to get them. 

Never seen them. 

Options here are limited at best. Seems to be the same typical fish unless it's big fish that you need 180g for. 

It sucks. Lol.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
45 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Thank you.

I love 6 line wrasse but man, it's such a shame they can be a holes as they grow up.

I know right!  such a shame ;(

18 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Never seen them. 

Options here are limited at best. Seems to be the same typical fish unless it's big fish that you need 180g for. 

It sucks. Lol.

I know how that is no LFS with 100+ miles each way.

have you talked to a cpl LFS and ask if they can special order for you? they prob. just get what they know will sell. maybe not many nano guys up there?

would reaching out and see what they can do.

On 8/6/2019 at 6:03 PM, devaji108 said:

I know right!  such a shame ;(

I know how that is no LFS with 100+ miles each way.

have you talked to a cpl LFS and ask if they can special order for you? they prob. just get what they know will sell. maybe not many nano guys up there?

would reaching out and see what they can do.

I am part of a fb group and also contacted stores.

Most can't do special order or they are limited to a list. Prices get crazy too.

I know someone who has a store and he tried ordering me a starck damsel. It was never in stock from the suppliers.

Population wise, we have a ton less hobbyists here, not really sure but I see a lot more with large tanks than nano's.

Even finding aquariums can be a pain. 3 stores that sell a few IM's(canada wide), Evo's everywhere, or standard rimmed.

I really wish livestock could be sold between our countries, that would be awesome.

• Like 3