Pod Your Reef

Needing some oddball reef safe fish

c_man7

I have a 33 gallon 48x12x12 aquarium with 20 gallon sump, I'm trying to see about stocking the tank with some nano fish.

2-clownfish

1- Yellow watchman or High fin goby w/ Pistol shrimp

1-Royal Gramma

Do I even have room for any other fish around the same size, I was really wanting to do a pair of maroons and fu manchu lion but Id rather do a few nano fish in there. 

9 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Throw in a small blenny like a TSB and you should be good to go. :wink:

Was wanting a more active fish, I've had a TSB and it stayed around its ledge all the time. Was thinking maybe a flasher wrasse.

Snow_Phoenix
25 minutes ago, c_man7 said:

Was wanting a more active fish, I've had a TSB and it stayed around its ledge all the time. Was thinking maybe a flasher wrasse.

I have a Pink Streaked Wrasse in my 60G. Quite active and stays relatively small. A good nanofish, actually. 

Given the dimensions of your tank (especially the length), a flasher should be alright as well. Maybe a Carpenter's or McCosker's? Lubbock's is another option too. (Although I think that falls under the 'fairy' category, if I'm not mistaken). 🤔

2 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

I have a Pink Streaked Wrasse in my 60G. Quite active and stays relatively small. A good nanofish, actually. 

Given the dimensions of your tank (especially the length), a flasher should be alright as well. Maybe a Carpenter's or McCosker's? Lubbock's is another option too. (Although I think that falls under the 'fairy' category, if I'm not mistaken). 🤔

That'll probably be what I'll do then 5 fish, I want to do this tank a little more open. Don't like the crowded look or fish rocks and coral. 

I would skip the maroons and get a nice occy/perc pair. I can't imagine a pair of maroons in a 33g cube with 4 other fish as adults. They get very territorial as adults, especially if they want to have babies and can kill other fish. A peaceful flasher would stand no chance against mama maroon. My percs are 5 years old now and will honestly kill anything too peaceful, they were fine the 1st 3 years but now little monsters. 

I mostly have all active fish.

22g, my semi aggressive tank thanks to mama percula:

Perc pair

Starkii damsel (size XL, shes bigger than the percs so it can hold it own)

Royal Gramma (size large, too fast and bold to be injured by bullies but gets chased at times)

Midas Blenny (mean fish, easily holds its own)

25g, more peaceful set up, this stock is really pushing the bioload, if I miss a water change, I get cyano. Most of these fish WILL need a bigger tank someday:

Female blue star leopard wrasse (medium)

Juvinile coris wrasse (small)

Fathead sunburst anthia (small)

Fang Blenny (these blennies swim in the open)

Yellowhead jawfish (mine does not hide, hes always out in front hovering, no one bullies him so he has no reason to hide)

• Like 1
On 7/19/2019 at 12:31 PM, Tamberav said:

I would skip the maroons and get a nice occy/perc pair. I can't imagine a pair of maroons in a 33g cube with 4 other fish as adults. They get very territorial as adults, especially if they want to have babies and can kill other fish. A peaceful flasher would stand no chance against mama maroon. My percs are 5 years old now and will honestly kill anything too peaceful, they were fine the 1st 3 years but now little monsters. 

I mostly have all active fish.

22g, my semi aggressive tank thanks to mama percula:

Perc pair

Starkii damsel (size XL, shes bigger than the percs so it can hold it own)

Royal Gramma (size large, too fast and bold to be injured by bullies but gets chased at times)

Midas Blenny (mean fish, easily holds its own)

25g, more peaceful set up, this stock is really pushing the bioload, if I miss a water change, I get cyano. Most of these fish WILL need a bigger tank someday:

Female blue star leopard wrasse (medium)

Juvinile coris wrasse (small)

Fathead sunburst anthia (small)

Fang Blenny (these blennies swim in the open)

Yellowhead jawfish (mine does not hide, hes always out in front hovering, no one bullies him so he has no reason to hide)

The tank is 48" long by 12" high 12"wide so its alot longer foot print than a 30 cube.

On 7/19/2019 at 10:41 AM, c_man7 said:

My tailspot blenny is all over the place, darting around, perching on the rock, in and out of holes in the rock. I love the personality of this fish. He gets along with my clowns, they tolerate him, but will chase him away from their spot.