SaltCritters.com

AI Prime HD on 10 gallon?

wuzzo

I have a 10 gallon "leader" tank.  I had the Hipagero light because I was on a budget, but I had to move stuff in the tank and it fell and now flickers randomly and isn't as powerful.  Also because of that hald the coral in it died.  I was thinking about 1 AI Prime HD.  Would that be enough or would I need more?  Or is there a different option that is at least almost as good for cheaper?  Thanks!

Is it a standard 10g 20" by 10" by 12"? A single prime would be good on that tank, the max spread is 24" by 24" I believe. Intensity would obviously be higher in the middle but you could probably grow anything anywhere, although I guess high-light corals would do best closer to the center.

9 minutes ago, norbert said:

Is it a standard 10g 20" by 10" by 12"? A single prime would be good on that tank, the max spread is 24" by 24" I believe. Intensity would obviously be higher in the middle but you could probably grow anything anywhere, although I guess high-light corals would do best closer to the center.

Yes those are the dimension's I meant.  Do you know any good settings for one?

Ya, the prime is more than plenty on a 10g.

Start low and work your way up if you have corals used to lower light. 35% with 5% weekly increase

6 minutes ago, WuzzoFish said:

I also just have a random question, can you have a glass or acrylic top on the tank and use it?

Yes, it may limit some lighting but heat would be the main concern

LED strips would probably be a better bargain.  They would definitely be a better fit over a rectangular tank like that.

Check out the available strips from Current USA, GHL, Orphek and others.  

You will want at least two strips if they are high powered.

You will want up to four strips if they are normal power such as the Truelumen Pros from Current. 

I ordered the light and the flexible mount. It is supposed to come either tonight or tommorow morning, I have a question though, how do I go about getting the corals and animals in there adjusted to the light?

GetPsyched2124
37 minutes ago, WuzzoFish said:

I ordered the light and the flexible mount. It is supposed to come either tonight or tommorow morning, I have a question though, how do I go about getting the corals and animals in there adjusted to the light?

once you get your desired color spectrum, there is a setting on the app for acclimation mode. you won't have to make any adjustments to intensity yourself, acclimation mode will do it all for you gradually each day until it reaches what your present intensity and spectrum settings are. it makes it pretty convenient for when you're adding it to an already established system of corals.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, GetPsyched2124 said:

once you get your desired color spectrum, there is a setting on the app for acclimation mode. you won't have to make any adjustments to intensity yourself, acclimation mode will do it all for you gradually each day until it reaches what your present intensity and spectrum settings are. it makes it pretty convenient for when you're adding it to an already established system of corals.

I knew you could change the spectrum and have a day/night cycle with it, but I didn't know it would do that! Thanks!

I got the light!  I set it to David Saxby's settings.  I have it on acclimation until August 10th, do you guys think I could lower the acclimation period or should I make it longer?

39 minutes ago, WuzzoFish said:

I got the light!  I set it to David Saxby's settings.  I have it on acclimation until August 10th, do you guys think I could lower the acclimation period or should I make it longer?

I think the default acclimation setting on this light is 3 weeks and starts at 50%. I’d think that’s fine to start with since you’re stocked with more tolerant corals. 

Your need to run acclimation will depend on high bright you ran the Hipagero. I did exactly what your doing.  I have my prime with a diffuser running the BRS AB+ setting and didn't bother with acclimation because the par between the prime and the Hipagero were basically the same .

9 hours ago, Jrill said:

Your need to run acclimation will depend on high bright you ran the Hipagero. I did exactly what your doing.  I have my prime with a diffuser running the BRS AB+ setting and didn't bother with acclimation because the par between the prime and the Hipagero were basically the same .

On acclimation on 50% it's around as bright as the Hipagero was.  I think it will be ok for acclimation.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/29/2019 at 10:02 PM, Jrill said:

Do you use the exact numbers from the AB+ setting? Or do you scale the percentage down for the nano tank?

I have been using the AI on my ten gallon tank for the last six months or so, it's a great light and I've had some great growth from all corals. I use a modified version of the 'Nano Karen' settings from the AI website - the light never runs at more than 60% power or 19w.

5 hours ago, Azur said:

I have been using the AI on my ten gallon tank for the last six months or so, it's a great light and I've had some great growth from all corals. I use a modified version of the 'Nano Karen' settings from the AI website - the light never runs at more than 60% power or 19w.

What are your specific settings so I have an idea of what will work on the 10 gallon? What percentage for each led?

4 hours ago, Reefing009 said:

What are your specific settings so I have an idea of what will work on the 10 gallon? What percentage for each led?

What works on 1 tank doesn't necessarily work on another because depending on corals chosen, rock placement, coral placement, will effect things differently.

Wish there was a setting that "definitely" works. Lol. 

16 hours ago, Reefing009 said:

Do you use the exact numbers from the AB+ setting? Or do you scale the percentage down for the nano tank?

I run the settings given but I have a diffuser so that knocks the par down just a tad.

13 hours ago, Reefing009 said:

It's just the 'Nano Karen' settings on the website but with the whites turned down a touch. I can screenshot if helpful (I'm not home at the mo so can't access) but it's literally just those settings with the whites reduced ever so slightly and the hours shifted a touch - general %'s still the same. Agree with Clown though, there's no one setting to rule them all. Just download the Nano Karen settings and leave them; the corals will tell you if they aren't happy.

14 hours ago, Clown79 said:

What works on 1 tank doesn't necessarily work on another because depending on corals chosen, rock placement, coral placement, will effect things differently.

Wish there was a setting that "definitely" works. Lol. 

I know, I’ve been reefing for 10 years. Just want to get the people’ settings so I have a place to start instead of just increasing the intensity every week and then dial down/adjust. I didn’t know people can get so stingy about sharing their AI Hydra settings lmao

5 hours ago, Azur said:

It's just the 'Nano Karen' settings on the website but with the whites turned down a touch. I can screenshot if helpful (I'm not home at the mo so can't access) but it's literally just those settings with the whites reduced ever so slightly and the hours shifted a touch - general %'s still the same. Agree with Clown though, there's no one setting to rule them all. Just download the Nano Karen settings and leave them; the corals will tell you if they aren't happy.

I know I have to adjust because every tank is different depending on corals requirements. Just want to see other people settings so I can adjust the light more quickly rather than starting at 10% and increase every week. I’ve found the file of the AI website for the Nano Karen setting. Thank you! 

15 minutes ago, Reefing009 said:

I know I have to adjust because every tank is different depending on corals requirements. Just want to see other people settings so I can adjust the light more quickly rather than starting at 10% and increase every week. I’ve found the file of the AI website for the Nano Karen setting. Thank you! 

In truth I've just stuck them on those settings and never adjusted them, it's worked fine so far! I guess if I was running an SPS dominant tank I'd bump them up a little bit but if you just place corals in sensible places it'll be fine. The other thing I guess to also consider is how high you've got the light above the tank? I think mine's 7 inches above the water's surface.