Coral Vue Hydros

Tank Temp is going up every Day

JohnCena

Hello Guys, I'm new to this hobby and I have 2 corals(both are Hammers) in my tank (Nuvo 20) with a Shrimp. The temperature of the tank is now at 87 and i'm little worried about it. is there any possible way to decrease the tank temp on daily basis? Tried with a small fan and didnt help.

Thanks

Just brain storming here. Im not for sure but i think ive read somewhere that if you have the top of the water agitated like with a power head could help. 

LogicalReefs

What's your room temp at? New heater? Is the tank by a window? Any new equipment you bought recently for the tank? What type of lights do you have? 

8 minutes ago, LogicalReefs said:

What's your room temp at? New heater? Is the tank by a window? Any new equipment you bought recently for the tank? What type of lights do you have? 

Around 80, i thought my heater is not working properly so i turned it off, so its not the heater. I placed the tank where there is minimum light and far from window. I'm using AI Prime and its a used tank with used skimmer and heater. 

7 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I've made Ice Cubes out of RODI water for my Pico

Will try this. 

Big question, tank being at 85-87 F, will it kill my corals and shrimp? what is the max temp they can withstand?

Thanks for your replies!

3 minutes ago, JohnCena said:

Around 80, i thought my heater is not working properly so i turned it off, so its not the heater. I placed the tank where there is minimum light and far from window. I'm using AI Prime and its a used tank with used skimmer and heater. 

Will try this. 

Big question, tank being at 85-87 F, will it kill my corals and shrimp? what is the max temp they can withstand?

Thanks for your replies!

Mine's been hitting 85 regularly for about a week, thankfully I have mushrooms and a Duncan and they seem no worse for wear. I would assume that Corals from lower zones would do worse in higher temperatures than those naturally found near the surface in tropical climates. Regardless the main issue of Inverts and Temperature is the dissolved oxygen in the water, I am waiting on a small airstone to arrive. I hope that'll help me out more than chilling

I'd try and use a fan over the open back area, the evaporation will help reduce the temp.  Make sure you keep up with top off. Reduce the light intensity until the weather cools down. If you have two corals and a shrimp as your only livestock, do you need the skimmer? Not sure if the skimmer contributes heat to the tank, but the return pump will. 

The only reason your temp would be so high over ambient room temp would be the additional heat your equipment adds to the tank. How high is your light over the tank, and what intensity are your running it at?

• Like 2

The light is around 15 inch high, almost the height of the tank and running at 70% intensity (for one hour) and around 30% for rest of the time(6 hours). 

A simpler solution is to put ice in a zip lock bag(s) and put them in the back chamber of the tank.  It will drop the temp a couple of degrees over time.  Easier and less risky than putting RODI ice cubes in the tank if you're concerned about changing the salinity.  Every so often empty the bags and add more ice cubes if needed.  I've used it a number of times successfully in my Biocube. 

MainelyReefer

I would check your pumps if the heater wasn’t to blame.  I recently had a skimmer Pump cook one of my tanks when it failed by heating the water rather than pumping it.  All the reccomended actions to lower the temp are great(Ice, fans, chiller) but finding the cause is best as in this case I think it sounds like something is to blame for the elevated temperature 

Hi @JohnCena . . . I have faced the same problem with the BioCube.

• The summer ended up being a lot higher temp than normal, and I had the hood on which added to the problems. 
  • The temperature would rise up to 83 easily and there was a day when it hit 87.

My solution in the end was to go hood-less, open-top with an mounted LED.

I even thought that my stock pump was going crazy by emitting heat than normal, bit apparently that was fine. So I would definitely check your return pump also. 

But I did do a couple of things in the interim to battle the high temperature -

• I installed a fan on top of the sump which helped a little to bring the temperature down
  • I used to keep the hood a little open with a towel and had another fan installed in the front to encourage more surface agitation and try to bring the temp down
  • I have also used the RODI ice method (helped to a certain extent). 

The most effective was the fan!

Some brands of pumps add a lot of heat and with summer weather, that's 2 issues.

Do you know what pump it is?

Using a frozen bottle will help with a fan near the tank.

Do you have AC you can run?