ReefCleaners.org

Is taking live rock out bad for your tank?

TaterTotReef208

TaterTotReef208

So this is my first time posting, excited to join the conversation!

I have a general question about the live rock in my tank, and if taking it out will be detrimental to my system or not? I started my first saltwater tank about 3 months ago, and am now realizing the way I aquascaped is going to be really hard to place corals.

I have one big rock that I’d like to take out and replace with some stackable rocks or other live rock. At the moment I have some nems, zoas, leathers, euphyllia and blastos. I’m worried that I’ll crash my tank if I take the rock out, but if I leave it in I don’t know if I can make it work. The way it is shaped makes it impossible to stick a frag on there.

Any suggestions or ideas on how to move forward with this? 

As long as you're not removing all the rock, I don't think taking some out will cause your biological filter to crash.  If you are concerned that your tank's capacity to process ammonia might take a hit, you can always cycle your new rock in a bucket together with a powerhead and some seed rock from your display. That will allow you to get the new rock "up to speed" before you add it into your aquarium.

Do you have any fish? If not it probably doesn't matter at all, since the bioload from corals alone is not very high and your biofilter does not need to be particularly robust in order to support them (unless you are feeding them like crazy every day). Also if the rock you want to remove is the only rock in your tank, that might be a different story.

Oh and welcome to N-R! 😁

Removing all rock is an issue but removing a little or replacing it isn't an issue as long as you can ensure the new rock is completely cycled.

Now the one issue with redoing the aquascape completely, by moving the rocks, it disturbs sand which releases many things into the water- this can cause issues so its highly advised to do a good waterchange after and either monitor for ammonia by testing or with a seachem badge

TaterTotReef208
1 hour ago, billygoat said:

As long as you're not removing all the rock, I don't think taking some out will cause your biological filter to crash.  If you are concerned that your tank's capacity to process ammonia might take a hit, you can always cycle your new rock in a bucket together with a powerhead and some seed rock from your display. That will allow you to get the new rock "up to speed" before you add it into your aquarium.

Do you have any fish? If not it probably doesn't matter at all, since the bioload from corals alone is not very high and your biofilter does not need to be particularly robust in order to support them (unless you are feeding them like crazy every day). Also if the rock you want to remove is the only rock in your tank, that might be a different story.

Oh and welcome to N-R! 😁

Ok so there Is a clown, blenny, clown goby and twin spot. I only feed once a day and it’s all eaten as far as I can tell.  I don’t want to take out all of the rock, there is just one big rock that needs to go. It is the largest rock, but there a others in the tank. 

• Like 1
TaterTotReef208
59 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Removing all rock is an issue but removing a little or replacing it isn't an issue as long as you can ensure the new rock is completely cycled.

Now the one issue with redoing the aquascape completely, by moving the rocks, it disturbs sand which releases many things into the water- this can cause issues so its highly advised to do a good waterchange after and either monitor for ammonia by testing or with a seachem badge

Alright cool, good tip on the water change after the scaping. The rocks I was debating changing it out for are at the LFS and are cycled. Would it be a better idea to order and cycle rock instead?

TaterTotReef208
1 minute ago, Ratvan said:

Personally I would add the extra rock first and ensure that it is fully seeded before removing the section that you want

Have you a picture of your set up? 

What do you mean by seeded?  And I do have a picture but it’s kind of embarrassing...

Sorry Cycled not seeded, getting confused with terms. 

If you order from LFS cycled I would add that first, give it time before removing the other rock you don't want.

Whats the plan for the old rock? Smash it to rubble?

TaterTotReef208
10 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Sorry Cycled not seeded, getting confused with terms. 

If you order from LFS cycled I would add that first, give it time before removing the other rock you don't want.

Whats the plan for the old rock? Smash it to rubble?

Thanks on the tip adding it first! I believe I can take the rock back and basically trade it pound for pound. When my lights turn up I’ll grab a picture and post it.

• Like 1

A 5g bucket,SW,heater power head and some water from your tank. By adding water from your tank that will help speed up the curing process.

Put the new rock in and let it run for a week or two.. Then add the new rock at the same time as you remove the old rock. You may see

a bit of cycle but for the most part it will be fine.

• Like 2
TaterTotReef208
21 hours ago, dling said:

A 5g bucket,SW,heater power head and some water from your tank. By adding water from your tank that will help speed up the curing process.

Put the new rock in and let it run for a week or two.. Then add the new rock at the same time as you remove the old rock. You may see

a bit of cycle but for the most part it will be fine.

So I decided to buy some of the the purple rock that is supposed to be “instant live rock” and I’m going to do that process with it before I switch out the rocks. I was thinking about cycling it for a week in there before I make the switch.  I’m getting a lot of hair algae starting to grow and I think it’s because of the dead spot in there. Hoping waiting a week won’t let the algae take over. 

TaterTotReef208
17 hours ago, dling said:

Add more snails to help with algae. Also look into Vibrant (see some reviews) for algae control. Good luck.

What kind of snail do you recommend?

21 hours ago, TaterTotReef208 said:

So I decided to buy some of the the purple rock that is supposed to be “instant live rock” and I’m going to do that process with it before I switch out the rocks. I was thinking about cycling it for a week in there before I make the switch.  I’m getting a lot of hair algae starting to grow and I think it’s because of the dead spot in there. Hoping waiting a week won’t let the algae take over. 

You can remove the rock and scrub it, do peroxide spot treatment if it's really bad, rinse in sw and then return to tank.

Adding a cuc will help. Spiny star astrea, trochus, ceriths, even a few scarlet hermits.