Coral Vue Hydros

emerald crab hosting kenya tree?

12scanlon

Well as the title says my emerald crab seems to be hosting my kenya tree coral colony. He hangs around or on it allll the time. He also sleeps on it at night. Is this normal behavior for an emerald crab. Here is a picture I just took of him and also a picture of when the kenya tree corals are open to put it in perspective.

0D213F88-DF9C-4F82-BDC7-24380C210740.jpeg

4A736B05-268B-4791-B84A-8CBDC62C0BD6.jpeg

• Like 1

I've never heard of emeralds 'hosting' in the classic sense.  He probably just feels safe there.  My pom pom crab likes to hide in the same small section underneath my hollywood stunner chalice, but he definitely roams around when I feed the tank or flash light at night.  Always goes back to the same spot though.

• Like 2
On 7/18/2019 at 5:43 AM, mndfreeze said:

I've never heard of emeralds 'hosting' in the classic sense.  He probably just feels safe there.  My pom pom crab likes to hide in the same small section underneath my hollywood stunner chalice, but he definitely roams around when I feed the tank or flash light at night.  Always goes back to the same spot though.

maybe... I also have a pom pom that does this but he only goes back to the same spot because food is constantly passing in the flow and it allows him to grab it with his anemones. The Emerald crab just seems to “host”. It is almost porcelain crab ish but instead of an anemone a kenya tree. 

Lots of crabs hide that way though.  It's pretty common for them to tuck themselves up under coral or rocks to hide, especially if the target of their affection stings or they think its colored like them and will camo them.  Hosting indicates there is some sort of other relationship going on.  Porcelains will defend their nems for example and walk all up in their tentacles.  Acro crabs will defend their coral, pick parasites off it, and are suspected of helping it fight disease as well.  Your emerald is just chillin for cover.  

• Like 1