Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

BTA injury... Do I need to worry about infection?

Chris's Fishes

Chris's Fishes

Okay, so I made a pretty tough mistake today. Long story short, I got a nice looking green BTA from a LFS for $20 (he's tiny), got him home, acclimated him, and he began immediately attaching to the rock. In fact, I spent about 20 minutes working him off the glass he was attached to in the store tank. Gently, of course. No damage done there.

As he's attaching, my Valentini puffer swims up and nips at the anemone. Ugh. He leaves soft coral alone, but nips at a small BTA that's not even extended? Whatever. I acclimated the BTA over to a 10 gallon I've got set up for a rescue mandarin. I think the lighting is enough for it (it's an ABI PAR 38 Tuna Blue), at least for the short-term.

My main question is whether or not I need to worry about the anemone's wound getting infected or something. It doesn't look terrible - just a little laceration on the body of the nem, a bit above it's foot. It's beginning to attach in the 10 gallon, so I don't think the foot was damaged in the whole ordeal. Anything I should watch for? There's no gaping mouth, tentacles are extended and bubbling up, and color is good.