ReefCleaners.org

Advice about in tank sump build

KimmyB75

Hello,

I have been doing a good bit of research about upgrading my 29 to a 40. I stumbled across a video from King DIY and I am totally in amazement! I LOVE it! The DIY idea is to actually build an in tank sump onto either the side or back wall with acrylic sheet with a depth of 3 inches. This would help hide equipment and make viewing area so much cleaner. By using 3 inches of the back wall, I would have more room for even a small fuge if I wanted. The disadvantage is it shortens the viewing area by 3 inches in depth . If I do it on the side, I will shorten the length and really have no room for future fuge if I decided I wanted one. What are your thoughts? I do like the idea of the back wall so that it hides everything instead of the side. I just don't know if I want to sacrifice 3 inches of space across the tank just to hide equipment, or if it is worth it for increased filtration. Is it really an increase in filtration from the HOB I am using now? Opinions appreciated. Here is a link to the video just in case you want to see my idea in full.

https://youtu.be/omx9O6wB60c

Go fo it.  Post some pics when you are done.

22 minutes ago, KimmyB75 said:

Is it really an increase in filtration from the HOB I am using now?

Probably not if you just want mechanical and chemical filtration.  Although it would be an improvement if you incorporated a larger refugium.

14 minutes ago, seabass said:

Go fo it.  Post some pics when you are done.

Probably not if you just want mechanical and chemical filtration.  Although it would be an improvement if you incorporated a larger refugium.

I could actually make that area a bit deeper into the tank! From the viewing area, it would just look like a built in overflow. Maybe increase the fuge area by 2 inches making that space a 5 inch deep space!