Coral Vue Hydros

Biocube 32g, any suggestions?

ladizzlee

Hello, i’m new on the forum.

I used to be in the game but just started again after 5 years. I have noticed a lot of stuff has changed in the last 5 years with up keep of tanks.

Right now i have a biocube 32 with about 15-20lbs of live rock, 20lbs live sand a few fish and a few corals so far. I am planning to have this tank as a full blown reef tank it now i’m seeing that people are putting wave makers or water pumps and now dosing too? lol 

in in my previous tank 5 years ago there was two return pumps on the nanocube so i’m not used to having just one return on one side, i think my fish aren’t too happy about it. i was looking at the water pump fan things and they look huge for a 32 biocube. and then i’m also wondering if i’ll need two, one on each side of the tank and then have the stock return hitting the surface?

if anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated and any other suggestions for the tank would be great

and also, i have the timer set up so that the moonlight (blue light) is on all throughout the night. i remember in the nanocube i would completely shut the lights off at night.

right now i am also feeding my fish frozen brine shrimp and my mandarin the copepods.

i also was wondering about a protein skimmer, do i need one and if i would get one is there one small enough that would fit in the rear of the tank or in one of the media spaces in the filter area? i’ve never had a protein skimmer before.

1 hour ago, ladizzlee said:

and also, i have the timer set up so that the moonlight (blue light) is on all throughout the night. i remember in the nanocube i would completely shut the lights off at night.

right now i am also feeding my fish frozen brine shrimp and my mandarin the copepods.

i also was wondering about a protein skimmer, do i need one and if i would get one is there one small enough that would fit in the rear of the tank or in one of the media spaces in the filter area? i’ve never had a protein skimmer before.

There are a lot of various options for getting more flow in the tank.

To avoid a powerhead in the tank you could get an upgraded pump and add an rfg nozzle. The nozzle adds random flow but needs a more powerful pump than the usual stock pumps.

If you want to add a wavemake/powerhead here are a few that are commonly used in various budgets

Mp10

Aqamai kps

Tunze

Hydor koralia

Jebao

Most of us don't run our moonlight all night, long enough for additional viewing but then giving blackout periods because it's more natural 

Skimmers aren't necessary but some systems need them.

With a mandarin, it's highly recommended a refugium is set up because they eat 24/7 and need a lot of pods, so there needs to be constant replenishment in the tank. Most owners have a system to replenish pods and train them on frozen foods to be fed multiple times a day.

Brine shrimp isn't very nutritious, it's a treat. A varied diet of pellets and mysis is preferable.

Dosing comes with time and should not be done blindly, frequent testing prior to starting dosing is necessary to determine what your tank needs and how often/much dosing will need to be done

On 7/15/2019 at 12:28 PM, Clown79 said:

To avoid a powerhead in the tank you could get an upgraded pump and add an rfg nozzle. The nozzle adds random flow but needs a more powerful pump than the usual stock pumps.

Which upgrade would you recommend for the pump? and what's a rfg nozzle?

Most of us don't run our moonlight all night, long enough for additional viewing but then giving blackout periods because it's more natural 

I fixed the time for my light, tell me what you think

daylight - 9am-10pm

sunrise/sunset - 830am-1030pm

moonlight - 1030pm-12am

Skimmers aren't necessary but some systems need them.

Which skimmer would fit in the first chamber with the lid closed? from what I've searched a part of the skimmer has to stay out of the water?

With a mandarin, it's highly recommended a refugium is set up because they eat 24/7 and need a lot of pods, so there needs to be constant replenishment in the tank. Most owners have a system to replenish pods and train them on frozen foods to be fed multiple times a day

He is very fat, i put two bottles of pods with the pump off for about 15 mins and he eats all the other types of food i feed the fish.

Brine shrimp isn't very nutritious, it's a treat. A varied diet of pellets and mysis is preferable.

I went out and bought a variety of food. I now have the brine shrimp, blood worms, fish eggs, pellets, & plankton(haven't tried this yet, mainly for my corals) and everyone is eating everything. I would have thought the mandarin wouldn't eat anything but the copepods and the fish eggs because of the size of their mouths but i was wrong. lol

2 hours ago, ladizzlee said:

Which upgrade would you recommend for the pump? and what's a rfg nozzle?

I fixed the time for my light, tell me what you think

daylight - 9am-10pm

sunrise/sunset - 830am-1030pm

moonlight - 1030pm-12am

Which skimmer would fit in the first chamber with the lid closed? from what I've searched a part of the skimmer has to stay out of the water?

He is very fat, i put two bottles of pods with the pump off for about 15 mins and he eats all the other types of food i feed the fish.

I went out and bought a variety of food. I now have the brine shrimp, blood worms, fish eggs, pellets, & plankton(haven't tried this yet, mainly for my corals) and everyone is eating everything. I would have thought the mandarin wouldn't eat anything but the copepods and the fish eggs because of the size of their mouths but i was wrong. lol

I don't know what pumps fit that tank. You will have to research that and skimmer. There are tons of threads on the subject.

The lighting period seems very long. 

You will have to continually add bottles of pods to the tank. It's not a 1 time dosing, especially with a mandarin.

• Like 1