Top Shelf Aquatics

Need an ID on these two sea slugs

EthanPhillyCheesesteak

They eat algae. Look even better in person. The appendages reflect light at certain angles and with them all moving it reflects randomly and gives an impression of moving light. I don’t know if they engage in kleptoplasty like other sarcoglassans, they don’t seem to keep much chlorophyll in them if they do. Sarcoglassans are all herbivorous sea slugs that suck the sugars and chlorophyll from algae and most(? All?) sequester the chlorophyll and can use the sugars it produces making them photosynthetic in a way.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Do they eat it at a rate where you can keep one in a relatively small tank (so as to be able to see it) and expect it to get enough to eat? There must be some kind of a catch, or I'd think they'd be for sale everywhere.

• Like 1

They eat an amount that is comparable to a lettuce slug for their size. The species I kept grew to about 3 inches. That species couldn’t be transported due to the appendage dropping issue. They are far between and hard to find too. To be in the hobby a species has to be common enough that wholesalers can list it. Couldn't find them regularly enough, would be easier to just collect and sell high end corals and fish. That is a lot of what is going on in the trade, the species we keep are very common. You will see 800 angelfish before one of these.  

I think most of the species are small though.

EthanPhillyCheesesteak
On 12/14/2019 at 11:09 PM, johnmaloney said:

They eat an amount that is comparable to a lettuce slug for their size. The species I kept grew to about 3 inches. That species couldn’t be transported due to the appendage dropping issue. They are far between and hard to find too. To be in the hobby a species has to be common enough that wholesalers can list it. Couldn't find them regularly enough, would be easier to just collect and sell high end corals and fish. That is a lot of what is going on in the trade, the species we keep are very common. You will see 800 angelfish before one of these.  

I think most of the species are small though.

Do you ever get them in to sell?

• 3 weeks later...