Cultivated Reef

My clowns love me...

Garf

I find it so odd that people hate damselfish, but love clowns, for obvious reasons lol... Smaller territories and such, sure, but I don't really grasp why damsel-cousins get a free pass from hobbyists on this kind of thing, while damselfish get damned for being less aggressive than cichlids... 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Garf said:

Love nips while mounting some frags today..

IMG_20190713_123131.jpg.d1acdf258ec7e5f26fcfb2f45bcd86a3.jpg

Wow, my female has bitten me but not quite so badly. She prefers grabbing the loose skin in between my fingers. 

• Haha 1
23 minutes ago, Garf said:

Clown- ouch! glad mine doesn't do that!

I started wearing gloves cause it didn't tickle. Lol. She tugs on the gloves now.

20190123_135514.jpg

• Wow 1

One of my cats gives 'love bites'.....

I have had some biting clowns in the past, my current ones are mean to new fish but thankfully they do not bite me. 

My first clown would attack but I put on a ring with a large orange gemstone and she would go after the gemstone and leave my skin alone.

1 hour ago, Amphrites said:

I find it so odd that people hate damselfish, but love clowns, for obvious reasons lol... Smaller territories and such, sure, but I don't really grasp why damsel-cousins get a free pass from hobbyists on this kind of thing, while damselfish get damned for being less aggressive than cichlids... 

I love damsel fish. They are beautiful fish and work well with the right tank mates. 

• Like 2

My maroon clown likes to take nips. I'm going to where gloves when he gets bigger... 

My other damsels are little bitches when I put my hand in the tank 😂

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Matteo said:

My maroon clown likes to take nips. I'm going to where gloves when he gets bigger... 

My other damsels are little bitches when I put my hand in the tank 😂

Mine sulks, hides, and kicks sand at me in stress-colors from under the rockwork for hours after I'm out of the tank lol...

• Haha 1
56 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Mine sulks, hides, and kicks sand at me in stress-colors from under the rockwork for hours after I'm out of the tank lol...

They're so moody

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Matteo said:

They're so moody

Little damsels I swear /eyeroll
To be fair, clowns are even moodier, they just also tend to be allot more grumpy, clumsy, and physical with their moods, like rowdy, drunken, distressed-damsels(and or basic-bros given their knack for just picking something in the tank and shredding it *because*)...
I want a paired perc + black occy at some point, but there are so many stories of how legendarily awful clowns can be to corals, clams, and other fish that I'm just not sure I'll ever pull the trigger. Smaller-damsels may be feisty and fiercely territorial, but I don't have to worry about coming home to a shredded maxima or euphyllia just because my clown got itself stuck in a "mood".

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Aurortpa said:

Perhaps but she’s about 4 years old now, hope she stays sweet 

Seems like a special animal to let you get that close, glad to hear she's been doing so well for so long, hope it stays that way ^^

• Like 1
EthanPhillyCheesesteak

What I do for my maroon, I don’t know if this works for everyone, but for some reason my maroon will only ever go after a wrist band on my arm. I suggest trying that. I found out one day when my girlfriend made me a bracelet and now it’s a nice thing to wear for the tank too😂🤷‍♂️

He attacks these free flowing strands

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
EthanPhillyCheesesteak
8 hours ago, Aurortpa said:

I must have a good lil girl. ☺️

8F60D527-0122-41B5-83C4-1439DC2F5B2C.thumb.jpeg.945a0b8d48d56d98d3637c17f58507c9.jpeg

I always thought that it was weird how some fish let you get close and others don’t. My clowns hate me, but my yellow watchman goby lets me tickle his gills and pretty much wrap my hand all around him. He’s not shy at all

• Like 1