inTank Media Baskets

My tangs are protecting my male clown?? (Video)

HingleMcCringleberry

HingleMcCringleberry

So let me preface this by saying that yes my tank is small for those two tangs. They get along great and are just in the tank for algae control until I move them to my larger system. 

So so recently my female clown has become more and more aggressive. To the point where the male now has to resign to the bottom corner of the tank. Today I sat down and observed my tangs seeming to break up the domestic dispute. Every time the female started acting up the hippo tang arrived and carefully slid between them and guided the female away. The yellow tang even joined in too. This video is not a one off and doesn’t even do a fantastic job of demonstrating the behavior I’m talking about.   Does anyone know what’s going on here. I can’t think of any other way to explain the behavior than that the tangs don’t want to see the conflict for some reason. 

Heres the link to the video:

https://youtu.be/GUaWYtLBfgE

The Tang probably just doesn't like the females clowns behavior but is not rescuing the male on purpose. Fish are not humans.

A small tank likely increases the tangs stress being stuck in a small space with rowdy fish and why it is freaking out a bit.

I don't understand the point of using tangs in a small tanks for algae. What goes in comes out as poop for more algae and if you remove the tangs...the algae will come back. You need to address the source. That sand bed looks deep and not well cleaned to me.

• Like 1
HingleMcCringleberry
38 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

The Tang probably just doesn't like the females clowns behavior but is not rescuing the male on purpose. Fish are not humans.

A small tank likely increases the tangs stress being stuck in a small space with rowdy fish and why it is freaking out a bit.

I don't understand the point of using tangs in a small tanks for algae. What goes in comes out as poop for more algae and if you remove the tangs...the algae will come back. You need to address the source. That sand bed looks deep and not well cleaned to me.

I just took down my refugium that was only growing slime algae and replaced it with a protein skimmer. I added phosphate absorbing media and am changing it every other day. Also did two 25% water changes. So I’m just looking for mechanical removal of the algae. I’m confident i can remove the nutrients from the water now so that it doesn’t return once the tangs leave. 

I don’t see any signs of stress I know of from the tangs. Is there anything I should be looking for? I figured the tangs would fight, pace, or become reclusive/sedative if they were stressed by the environment but so far they don’t seem to mind the cramped quarters. But if they are stressed I don’t want to be cruel and I’ll move them back.