Pod Your Reef

Vee Gee SXT-3 refractometer

D4rkAngel

Hi,

I was using an Coralife hydrometer and now I want to buy a good refractometer.

I was about to buy the Vee Gee STX-3 refractometer on Amazon, I have read many good review about it.

https://www.amazon.ca/Vee-Gee-Scientific-STX-3-Refractometer/dp/B004WDW70M/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=refractometer+vee+gee&qid=1563044121&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Is anyone using this Vee Gee STX-3 refractometer and do you recommend it ?
Any recommendation about the calibration fluid brand ?

Thank you.

2019-07-13_18-06-35.png

I saw all the cheapest one on Amazon, there is TON of them.

I was just wondering the different between one at 20-35$ and one a 100$ like the Vee Gee STX-3.

I know there is some who feel like REALLY cheap in your hand, the screw is lose and always need to be calibrated etc...

I use this Vee Gee. It holds calibration wonderfully day in and day out. 

It's just a quality of life thing. Like hanna alk checker vs color tests 🙂 Far from necessary but nice if you plan on staying in this hobby for many many years and want to cut down on toying with the little things.  

You can use whatever calibration solution you want, I have a few types and they all seem to be accurate. It's not like you will need to use it after the first time 🤣

I have had mine about 6 months and it has never changed or drifted since I calibrated it the very first day. Some of the reviews say it hasn't changed for them in years. 

• Thanks 1

Alright i was hoping someone with a Vee Gee comment and give his though about it.

I think I will order this calibration solution, i will have some for quite a while lol.

Thank you ! 🙂

2019-07-13_23-18-39.png

• Like 1
On 7/13/2019 at 9:27 PM, Tamberav said:

I use this Vee Gee. It holds calibration wonderfully day in and day out. 

It's just a quality of life thing. Like hanna alk checker vs color tests 🙂 Far from necessary but nice if you plan on staying in this hobby for many many years and want to cut down on toying with the little things.  

You can use whatever calibration solution you want, I have a few types and they all seem to be accurate. It's not like you will need to use it after the first time 🤣

I have had mine about 6 months and it has never changed or drifted since I calibrated it the very first day. Some of the reviews say it hasn't changed for them in years. 

I received my Vee Gee refractometer today and i was having a really hard time to do calibration because the calibration ring you need to turn is so damn HARD to turn.
Yes i did loose the screw before turning the ring hehe.

Did you have that problem to ?

46 minutes ago, D4rkAngel said:

I received my Vee Gee refractometer today and i was having a really hard time to do calibration because the calibration ring you need to turn is so damn HARD to turn.
Yes i did loose the screw before turning the ring hehe.

Did you have that problem to ?

At first but it eventually moved...after that it wasn't hard to do. I took the screw out to do it the first time. Just double check calibration after. It's hard to do at first but then it stays dialed in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...