inTank Media Baskets

Am I setting up a death match or could it be love

REEFERzz24

Hello refers.

So I recently had picked up a maroon clown fish very impulsively. Not actually knowing that they are a much more aggressive clown than ocellaris and percale which are usually not even a safe match to put in a nano or even a larger tank. The maroon ended up finding a low flow spot under a rock and camped out there till my light went out. Before I went to bed a hour or so after lights out I went to see how these fishies wanted to set up sleeping for the night. With my phone light dimmed I tried to shed a little light in to find them. I found my maroon had taken over original clown "coco" (lsf said its a black ocellaris but I personally think that it is a photon and feel feel to let me know what you guys think from the pictures) typical sleeping spot. When I saw this I was a little concerned so I did a little research and felt that I had just put a assassin in my tank, and was actually planning to bring back my new pick up the next day. I ended up leaving the fish together in my 60 liter reef since from the 5 hours together they to my knowledge had not cared to interact. The next morning 'coco' was up to the same routine it always is (btw the clown is a year old and I've have had it for 6 months so assuming coco is a female) and the maroon was back hiding in the same low flow spot and seemed territorial, but not aggressive as coco seemed to check in consistently and annoying it. Feed went better than expected, with coco going crazy and the maroon coming out a little to grab a couple pellets. I was now relaxed a little and decided with my busy day I'd return the fish the following day. I spent the next 5 or 6 hour doing homework and keeping a close eye on them. all of a sudden when I took a peek the maroon had joined coco daily fun in some playful swimming against the flow. This is when I started to see the personality of the two fish. Coco would chase the maroon around and I was thinking the she was trying to show that she was the queen of the reef but it seem more that she was just happy for a friend and they acted like 2 dogs playing with each other. Later after getting home the maroon had returned to her rock and coco was acting normal. Now its about 2 hours after the lights had went out and wanted to see what the 2 had chosen for sleeping. Coco is kinda in her usual spot and the maroon had picked to sleep roughly four or five inches away right threw a little cave in the back and seem like they were starting to 'pair' in a sort of way similar to my experience with clowns of the same species.

Please let me know any feed back of experience, thoughts, precautions, or whatever you'd like :)

https://youtu.be/uUAx4bSg-S0

IMG_0413.GIF

They can pair but it's also just as possible when the maroon gets older it will decide it wants to be boss instead.

My perc female turned nasty around 4 years of age. She was pretty mellow the first 3.

Thanks for all the feed back! I have decided that I'm not going to keep these two together long term. As I'm sure some would not advise, but I'm going to keep the maroon for about 2 month until I move. My lfs is going to hold my fish for 2 days and I asked if they would take my maroon back so I don't run into the problems you guys talked about. Now that they have calmed its so tough to want to bring him back but I figure I'll enjoy the time I have an then let him find a better home.