Innovative Marine Aquariums

Question about my cured LR

KimmyB75

Hello again,

Got another question that I don't know if I am just not placing the correct words in google to search out the answer myself, or if it is something that no one has really though of posting for new comers to SW.

I am contemplating upgrading from my 29 to a 40 in the near future. The plan is to clean or even replace my sand bed completely (haven't decided which way I want to go just yet). I do know I want to keep my LR which is about 30 to 40 lbs. My issue is the LR I currently have has Aptasia, and I do not want to introduce it into a new system. I did manage to get rid of almost all of it minus 2 that I am having trouble reaching with the syringe. I only have limited space so setting up and running a new clean system through a full cycle would be very difficult. Is there a way I can clean the LR to get rid of the Aptasia without loosing the good stuff? I have read about the cooking method, acid bath, and Hydrogen Peroxide as well as a FW dipping. All of these seem like they would destroy the good bacteria and would create a cycle. Any suggestions, thoughts, or comments? I want to have a detailed plan before I decide to execute a task. 

Side note: Second alternative I am considering is attempting some rearranging and make room to just do a slow cycle of a new system to have a fresh start. Just really hate the idea of having a tank in an area with carpet which is why I am looking at easier alternatives. Problem with easier is the fact easier is not always better.

4 minutes ago, KimmyB75 said:

Is there a way I can clean the LR to get rid of the Aptasia without loosing the good stuff?

I'd get three peppermint shrimp.  If they are kept hungry enough, they will probably clean the rock for you.  Afterwards, you might wish to return them for some store credit.  Ask the store if this is acceptable.  If not, ask them if they will take the shrimp for free.

2 minutes ago, seabass said:

I'd get three peppermint shrimp.  If they are kept hungry enough, they will probably clean the rock for you.  Afterwards, you might wish to return them for some store credit.  Ask the store if this is acceptable.  If not, ask them if they will take the shrimp for free.

I have 2 in there now and so far they have cleaned all the small ones up. (I think one of the Peps has an egg shack). I can get another no problem! anything to get rid of this ugly mess. I had even considered a filefish. The LFS that I got them from stopped doing returns, but will take them when I am done for free. Plan to do the water bottle trap to catch them easier. If I can get rid of it completely before deciding to upgrade, I can just move right up to the new tank since it isn't that big of a move. This would be my preferred method due to limited space. Even considering if it is worth doing a sump with fuge. Easier to drill it if its empty before a move. Still researching the benefits of a sump vs HOB for a 40g.

6 hours ago, KimmyB75 said:

I can get another no problem! anything to get rid of this ugly mess.

I'm not sure that another will be necessary, unless there are areas that they just don't get to.  

I did manage to get rid of almost all of it minus 2 that I am having trouble reaching with the syringe.

Maybe you'll just have to move the rock for better access.  Good luck.

Still researching the benefits of a sump vs HOB for a 40g.

For a fuge, it's hard to beat the convenience and size of a sump.  It will give you more skimmer options too.  Not to mention hiding your heater and other equipment.

That said, I haven't drilled my 40B yet, and don't feel it suffers because of it.  Seeing the heater in pics is probably my biggest issue.

Can you reach them with a syringe of boiling water? I got live rock with a tank that had 10 or so of them and I killed them all by just flooding their hidey holes with boiling water. I could pull back the syringe and get their goopy melted guts out often as well.

I did it all inside the tank tho outside should work too as long as you know where they are hiding.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Can you reach them with a syringe of boiling water? I got live rock with a tank that had 10 or so of them and I killed them all by just flooding their hidey holes with boiling water. I could pull back the syringe and get their goopy melted guts out often as well.

I did it all inside the tank tho outside should work too as long as you know where they are hiding.

I actually used the lemon juice method. I saw the boiling water method too and will attempt it. I can probably do a little moving around to get to them. Besides, I want to rearrange my LR since it is so close to the glass. Makes it hard to clean by me and the snails.

• Like 1