Pod Your Reef

WHATS ARE MY NEXT STEPS?

CodyReedReefs

CodyReedReefs

Hey guys!! 

So my tank finally arrived I hooked up my RO/DI unit tested the TDS and it read 0 spent about 6 hours creating my water and shes full! I have just the stock filter set up running as of now. I did purchase the InTank Media set up and the intank fuge for it as well. I will be going to my local fish store on Sunday to get 10 lbs of live rock and also 15 lbs of dry to start building the aqua scape. I went to the grocery store and purchase some shrimp and dropped them in a baggy to start the cycle process. Other than what I have done thus far what else should I do? I want to make sure I dont miss anything and be as perfect as I can. Any tips appreciated! Thank you!

20190712_162338.thumb.jpg.5b90480c58d4459561c264bca9d7f5a3.jpg

• Like 1

Eat the shrimp. Really, no need to use it if you have liverock coming. What kind of sand did you use? Also, you will have to take some water out when you place your liverock in. 

How big is that, a 29g cube? Best tip I can give is take your time. 

• Like 3

With real live rock, there is no reason to use the shrimp, especially if its established live rock.

If anything, the shrimp will create more nutrients in the tank.

After you get the rock, its testing and waiting. Best time to plan what corals you want and placement, as well as changing aquascape.

• Like 1
CodyReedReefs

Hey guys! 

Thanks for the info, I took the shrimp out right when I read your post yesterday @Clown79 (it was only in the water for 10min) I tested ammonia today and it came in at 0.25 Nitrite is 0 and Nitrate is 0 looks like the ammonia spike is happening with just the live sand alone. I used the sand in the screenshot attached. Excited to be picking up live rock tomorrow to start aquascaping and wait until the cycle is complete. One question should I rinse my filter cartridge or would that slow the cycle??

Screenshot_20190713-171634_Amazon Shopping.jpg

1 hour ago, CodyReedReefs said:

Hey guys! 

Thanks for the info, I took the shrimp out right when I read your post yesterday @Clown79 (it was only in the water for 10min) I tested ammonia today and it came in at 0.25 Nitrite is 0 and Nitrate is 0 looks like the ammonia spike is happening with just the live sand alone. I used the sand in the screenshot attached. Excited to be picking up live rock tomorrow to start aquascaping and wait until the cycle is complete. One question should I rinse my filter cartridge or would that slow the cycle??

Screenshot_20190713-171634_Amazon Shopping.jpg

That's a good sand choice.

The ammonia at 0.25 is probably from the shrimp. So the cycle has started.

What filter cartridge are you using? Is it sponge or filter floss?

CodyReedReefs

The filter cartridge as of now is the stock filter that comes with the cube! I have the intank media rack and filter floss on stand by. Should I set it up soon? Or is the cartridge that comes stock okay for now?? @Clown79 you're advice is much appreciated. I can't even count how many other forms I've seen you on youre the best! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Use the  stock sponge for now. Did you get the liverock in yet? How "live" was it? You can toss the sponge and filter media that came with the tank at any time, just let it get all janky for a week or two and then toss it. 

• Like 1
On 7/13/2019 at 10:44 PM, CodyReedReefs said:

The filter cartridge as of now is the stock filter that comes with the cube! I have the intank media rack and filter floss on stand by. Should I set it up soon? Or is the cartridge that comes stock okay for now?? @Clown79 you're advice is much appreciated. I can't even count how many other forms I've seen you on youre the best! 

The longer you keep the sponge, the more it becomes a biological filter.

I'd personally start using your media basket with just floss.

Depending on the live rock you use, the floss may need changing more often during this time

• Like 1