justinkdenny

Getting frustrated with this nitrogen cycle! Help

justinkdenny

So I have been trying to get this cycle done for a while now.  Ammonia will go to 0 in 24 hrs after dosing but my nitrites are 1 ppm every time I test them.  I know the tank is processing the nitrites because nitrates are through the roof.  What would you do next?

Amphrites

1ppm nitrite shouldn't be a concern, if your tank has nitrate and doesn't have ammonia you're cycled. A fair few folks don't even bother testing for nitrite because it tends to be inaccurate and not particularly useful (especially since the threshold for nitrite toxicity in saltwater is absurdly high compared to freshwater).
Just take things slow with livestock additions and keep your nitrate below 15-20 from this point forward and you should be fine.

Tigahboy

I'm assuming you've been dosing 2 ppm ammonia (which is what gets to 0 in 24 hours)?  I had the same issue.  When I emailed Dr. Tim's staff, they suggested that I reduce the ammonia dosing to like 0.5 ppm and let things level out from there.  Once both ammonia and nitrites got to zero, I bumped it up to 1ppm, then 1.5, then 2 gradually.  That gradual ramp up worked for me at least.  

• Like 1

dcNano
2 hours ago, justinkdenny said:

So I have been trying to get this cycle done for a while now.  Ammonia will go to 0 in 24 hrs after dosing but my nitrites are 1 ppm every time I test them.  I know the tank is processing the nitrites because nitrates are through the roof.  What would you do next?

Would like to know everyones thoughts as well. I am having the same issue trying to fishless cycle my quarantine tank.

Ammonia can process 1ppm to 0 in 24 hours. Nitrites are stuck at over 5ppm, and Nitrates are at 40ppm right now. I did disturb the cycle by setting the temp at 86F and then lowering it back to 80F because I saw Nitrates and thought it was done. Cycle is at about 26 day mark and I am trying to decide if I should change the water or just ride it out. I've also stopped dosing ammonia since I feel like i'm just overloading the nitrites.

Clown79
32 minutes ago, dcNano said:

Would like to know everyones thoughts as well. I am having the same issue trying to fishless cycle my quarantine tank.

Ammonia can process 1ppm to 0 in 24 hours. Nitrites are stuck at over 5ppm, and Nitrates are at 40ppm right now. I did disturb the cycle by setting the temp at 86F and then lowering it back to 80F because I saw Nitrates and thought it was done. Cycle is at about 26 day mark and I am trying to decide if I should change the water or just ride it out. I've also stopped dosing ammonia since I feel like i'm just overloading the nitrites.

You can do a waterchange. Nitrites will eventually process but at a much slower rate at 5ppm or higher. Essentially ammonia or nitrite can stall at 5ppm or higher.

• Like 2

xM3THODx
3 hours ago, justinkdenny said:

seems like the cycle is on track. Nitrates levels will keep creeping up unless you have a way to incorporate a way to process it ie. denitrifying filtration, algae scrubber, refugium with macro algae. Water changes will just become part of the maintenance in keeping nitrates within healthy levels, whatever your system likes.