pdiehm

Paul’s BioCube 29

pdiehm

This tank was up for about 2.5 years previously but due to a home renovation had to be torn down.  It wasn’t anything special, a candy cane, 2 frogspawn, some zoas and a lot of mushrooms (hitchhiked on with the zoas).  But it was self sustaining.  I changed 5G water every other week and things were doing really well.  

But new new flooring meant it had to be moved. Into a 29 gallon holding tank the contents went. 2 clowns, a bi-color blenny, skunk cleaner, 25lbs of rock, and lots of vermetid snails.  

Some elbow grease, some vinegar, and a jet stream hosing...it’s clean.  Mostly.  

With Th the vermetid snails all over the rocks, I decided to just mix those rocks, and got 20lb of Caribsea Life Rock shapes.  I toyed with going barebottom, buuut it’s an LPS tank.  Flow isn’t a massive requirement, though some is needed.  I decided to go with Caribsea Arag Alive Fiji pink.  

I dosed the tank tank yesterday with 1.2ml of ammonia, a bottle of birospira, and 5ml of Microbacter7.  Tested today and it’s zero with a trace of nitrites.  Dosed again today with 1.2 ammonia, and tomorrow after we get back from Wildwood, I will test again.  I actually may be able to move my clowns into the tank I think.  I am also dozing 5ml of Microbacter7 daily.  

Prior, I had an aquamaxx HOB-1, and it’s a great skimmer.  But this time, I think I will go the five route and skip the skimmer.  I have the InTank Media Rack, and will be getting the InTank Fuge Basket.  I am leaning toward the JBJ Nano Glo but there are some $15-$20 grow lights on amazon that I may be able to stick to the back and use that instead.  I have time though to figure that out.  If anyone has thoughts, please post them.  

I toyed with getting an mp10 but think I am going to try to split the return using a Y valve and loc line.  If that doesn’t give me enough then I will look into a used mp10 and run lagoon.

As for my plans...the 3 fish I have.  And I think I will add either a pink streaked wrasse or a mccoskers wrasse and a small diamond goby for sand maintenance.  Other sand maintenance creatures will be 6 or so nassarius snails, some dwarf cerith snails, 3 or 4 nerites and 2 scarlet hermits and of course a skunk cleaner shrimp.  I also have 2 Green Bubble Tips that will go in before any of the corals i have go back in so they can find their home and get settled.

for salt, I will be using ESV only on this following the cycle.  

And the light will will be a Noopsyche Pro II.

I think the aquascape turned out pretty badass.  Very happy with it!

168148EB-FC54-4456-B382-F91537DED4A6.jpeg

68615452-E873-4E48-9367-FA47E00F0537.jpeg

4BBF1C67-7804-4443-9D02-398FB476626D.jpeg

7EC5A5BE-A01A-4DCE-B5CF-E0CA71047496.jpeg

• Like 2

WV Reefer
1 minute ago, pdiehm said:

This tank was up for about 2.5 years previously but due to a home renovation had to be torn down.  It wasn’t anything special, a candy cane, 2 frogspawn, some zoas and a lot of mushrooms (hitchhiked on with the zoas).  But it was self sustaining.  I changed 5G water every other week and things were doing really well.  

But new new flooring meant it had to be moved. Into a 29 gallon holding tank the contents went. 2 clowns, a bi-color blenny, skunk cleaner, 25lbs of rock, and lots of vermetid snails.  

Some elbow grease, some vinegar, and a jet stream hosing...it’s clean.  Mostly.  

With Th the vermetid snails all over the rocks, I decided to just mix those rocks, and got 20lb of Caribsea Life Rock shapes.  I toyed with going barebottom, buuut it’s an LPS tank.  Flow isn’t a massive requirement, though some is needed.  I decided to go with Caribsea Arag Alive Fiji pink.  

I dosed the tank tank yesterday with 1.2ml of ammonia, a bottle of birospira, and 5ml of Microbacter7.  Tested today and it’s zero with a trace of nitrites.  Dosed again today with 1.2 ammonia, and tomorrow after we get back from Wildwood, I will test again.  I actually may be able to move my clowns into the tank I think.  I am also dozing 5ml of Microbacter7 daily.  

Prior, I had an aquamaxx HOB-1, and it’s a great skimmer.  But this time, I think I will go the five route and skip the skimmer.  I have the InTank Media Rack, and will be getting the InTank Fuge Basket.  I am leaning toward the JBJ Nano Glo but there are some $15-$20 grow lights on amazon that I may be able to stick to the back and use that instead.  I have time though to figure that out.  If anyone has thoughts, please post them.  

I toyed with getting an mp10 but think I am going to try to split the return using a Y valve and loc line.  If that doesn’t give me enough then I will look into a used mp10 and run lagoon.

As for my plans...the 3 fish I have.  And I think I will add either a pink streaked wrasse or a mccoskers wrasse and a small diamond goby for sand maintenance.  Other sand maintenance creatures will be 6 or so nassarius snails, some dwarf cerith snails, 3 or 4 nerites and 2 scarlet hermits and of course a skunk cleaner shrimp.  I also have 2 Green Bubble Tips that will go in before any of the corals i have go back in so they can find their home and get settled.

for salt, I will be using ESV only on this following the cycle.  

And the light will will be a Noopsyche Pro II.

I think the aquascape turned out pretty badass.  Very happy with it!

168148EB-FC54-4456-B382-F91537DED4A6.jpeg

68615452-E873-4E48-9367-FA47E00F0537.jpeg

4BBF1C67-7804-4443-9D02-398FB476626D.jpeg

7EC5A5BE-A01A-4DCE-B5CF-E0CA71047496.jpeg

Looks nice. 😊

Krish87

Awesome aquascape!!!

pdiehm
54 minutes ago, Krish87 said:

Awesome aquascape!!!

Thanks.  It was really easy to put these 4 pieces together.  Can’t recommend this stuff enough.

Krish87
1 minute ago, pdiehm said:

Thanks.  It was really easy to put these 4 pieces together.  Can’t recommend this stuff enough.

I have the same in my tanks! Love it.

pdiehm

Dosed another 1ml of ammonia today.  Tested 0, 12 hours after last dose.  I am sure with the daily dosing of 5ml microbacter7, and the initial dosing of BioSpira, I have enough bacteria for my fish.  Also considering both the rock and sand are supposedly made with bacteria...

if its good tonight night when I get home, and good tomorrow, I may put in my 2 clowns and the bi color blenny.  

Need to to think about that though.   

pdiehm

No ammonia again.  But solid nitrites.  The daily addition of MB7 is processing ammonia but not yet the nitrites.

nitrites aren’t nearly as toxic to saltwater fish as freshwater, but I don’t have the guts to add the clowns to the tank.  Need the NO2 to fall before I will think about it.

pdiehm

Just ordered a Clearview lid for the biocube.  Knock on wood, no surfers at this point in the cube life but since I do want a diamond goby and a wrasse in there it’s probably a wise investment.

Krish87
8 hours ago, pdiehm said:

Just ordered a Clearview lid for the biocube.  Knock on wood, no surfers at this point in the cube life but since I do want a diamond goby and a wrasse in there it’s probably a wise investment.

Good call on this lid! Clearview lids are real nice! 

As of today, what is the lead time? When I wanted to get one for my BioCube, it was a lot.

pdiehm
1 hour ago, Krish87 said:

Good call on this lid! Clearview lids are real nice! 

As of today, what is the lead time? When I wanted to get one for my BioCube, it was a lot.

Not sure.  Certainly not before I get any more fish.  I think 6 weeks or so.

Cost with the feed door was $159.  It’s fine.  

pdiehm

Got my InTank Fuge basket, got the neon green water deflector (Seahawks fan), and the loc line y adapter to split the return line.  I just need some plumbers tape to make it fit onto the output or cut the old loc line fitting and fit with plumbers tape to create a DIY adapter.

now to start thinking about a small fuge light to fit on the back of the cube to grow chaeto.  

pdiehm

Decided to get the Chaetomax 2N1 light.  Chaeto probably added within 2 weeks and ran on a very simple timer opposite of the light schedule.

time to figure out how to set up the noopsyche light!