ReefCleaners.org

Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse care!

saltyandspooky

saltyandspooky

I got my YBPW today from Live Aquaria! I had originally ordered a Tanaka's Pygmy wrasse but it was DOA and I was so disappointed. They were out of Tanaka's so I ordered a Yellow Banded and he is the cutest thing I have ever seen. Four hrs after introduction he is sharing a cave with my Yellow Watchman Goby and eating pods off the rock.

I currently have a midnight Occelaris Clown and a YWG in my 20g peninsula tank. 

What pods are their favorite to munch on? I have frozen foods and dried foods as well but I want to make sure he is getting a well balanced diet. So far he is eating frozen mysis like a pig. I want some opinions from some people who have owned one of these adorable fish! The eyes are my favorite, he has so much character!

If anyone has any tips on care for possum wrasses, I would be very appreciative to hear them! Also wondering if it is possible to keep 2 of these wrasses in my 20g together. Not sure how pairing up works really for these guys! Thanks so much for any help.

61CAC6B8-0758-40A3-AFBF-D8EFC8578B7B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

If he doesn't adapt to prepared foods of some type, you're in a similar boat to Mandarin keepers.

I would search up some threads by folks who keep mandarins in your size tank and do what they do.

(Hate to hear about the pre-loss from online ordering.  Do you have any local stores?)

saltyandspooky
On 7/26/2019 at 3:43 PM, mcarroll said:

If he doesn't adapt to prepared foods of some type, you're in a similar boat to Mandarin keepers.

I would search up some threads by folks who keep mandarins in your size tank and do what they do.

(Hate to hear about the pre-loss from online ordering.  Do you have any local stores?)

No worries this guy eats frozen mysis shrimp! He’s quite the personality and not shy at all now! Follows me around and begs for food. I’ve been supplementing pods every so often as well.

I have tanaks possum and he didn't eat for almost 3 weeks when I added him into my tank.  He ate fine in the fish store before I bought him though.  After a lot of food trial and error I found he loved bloodworms, then I slowly trained him into eating other foods when he associated me with the food.  He is my favorite fish I've ever owned.  I've never been big into fish, inverts are my jam, but I love that little puppy dog.

saltyandspooky
1 hour ago, mndfreeze said:

I have tanaks possum and he didn't eat for almost 3 weeks when I added him into my tank.  He ate fine in the fish store before I bought him though.  After a lot of food trial and error I found he loved bloodworms, then I slowly trained him into eating other foods when he associated me with the food.  He is my favorite fish I've ever owned.  I've never been big into fish, inverts are my jam, but I love that little puppy dog.

He is absolutely my favorite fish. I’ve got him eating frozen mysis so far! Been supplementing tank with pods as well and he seems fat and happy. He is best friends with my clownfish and they swim everywhere together.

• Like 1