Top Shelf Aquatics

Patty

HaloPhenom27

I had an Emerald Crab in the same tank and I had to give him to my son for his tank as the Emerald did quite a bit of damage to my rock. 

How long has your tank been up and running? I ask because it appears as though it is a new tank and you are already going to be putting corals in it at the beginning of August?

Also, it seems you are dosing alot of chemicals on a new set-up. I personally never dose a new tank with anything other than Turbo Start 900. I also don't run lights on a tank for the first 3-4 months and I never add corals before 6 months. 

Really like the rockscape - suggestion though: small rock for the middle to serve as island for invasive corals or corals that do not "belong" on sandbed but want low light = ) 

• Like 1

Patty-

From my experience, the Hannah checker is pretty accurate, mine was pretty consistent with the Salifert tests. They do sell standard calibration test vials, which can tell you if it is off a bit, though there is no way to calibrate the unit. The major thing I have noticed is the results vary from different lot numbers of the reagent, sometimes by quite a bit. I measured alk a day before with my original reagent, then opened a new bottle the next day to test after my water change. According to my new test reagent, dkh was .8 higher. Salifert test said it was higher also, so now I had no idea what my alk was really at. As I was not dosing, it would have been nice to know how much of the increase was due to the new test reagent. Testing shows that the alk is as stable as it was using the old reagent, so in reality it is just a new number to target. 

Next time I will test with the last of the old reagent, then with the new reagent and document the delta. 

What chemical filtration are you using? I wouldn't use anything other than charcoal, especially in a new tank.

On 7/15/2019 at 11:47 AM, Patty said:

The time has come! Now to DIY a mesh cover or maybe find a place that can make one... My cuc is trying to escape! 🙄

9EFA5691-B6E8-4257-9161-C595FEF68384.jpeg

Hahaha. Last week I actually found a Trochu snail on the counter, about 6 inches away from the tank. It was still alive, back in the tank it went lol.

On 7/16/2019 at 3:49 PM, Melfy77 said:

Hahaha. Last week I actually found a Trochu snail on the counter, about 6 inches away from the tank. It was still alive, back in the tank it 

Wow, that is a lot of snails. I don't suppose you have another tank you could put them in? One with a ton of algae? I'd be afraid they would starve, and the die off could cause a nutrient spike.

I ordered the 10g pack, and ended up putting a majority of them in my grungy 5g. I know reefcleaners will load up the dwarf cerinth snails, I ended up keeping the nasarius, half the large cerints, and 8 of the dwarf cerinths. The nerites stayed in my tank for a few weeks, then I banished them, along with a few cerinths.

Reedroids have given me great results but feed right before a waterchange. It’s a one way ticket to a nutrition spike if you are not careful. 

• 2 weeks later...