Patty

Patty's Fluval Evo 13.5 Nano Reef

Patty

Finally got back to the hobby, my previous build was a 29g biocube, my biggest and first reef tank was a 120g around 8yrs ago and my favorite so far was my 60g cube mix reef

Fluval Evo 13.5 Tank Journal 

*Tank seeded with live rock and water from stablished tank*

Equipment

Tank: Fluval Evo 13.5 

Lighting: AI Prime HD black

ATO: Tunze Nano 3152

Return Pump: Sicce Syncra 1

In tank Refugium

- Chamber one: Temp probe & filter floss. 

- Chamber two: chamber 2 Intank Media basket with: chemipure blue, cheato, live rock and refugium light on the outside.   

- Chamber three: Return pump, heater & ATO.

Heater: Hagen 100w 

Circulation: EcoTech VorTech Mp10.

Tank seeded with: Live sand, cheato and aprox. 5lbs of live rock from an stablished tank. 

Sand: 1lbs - Rock: 10lbs

Inhabitants

CUC:  Snails: Dwarf Cerith, Nassarius, Florida Ceriths, Nerite Snails.

Shrimp: Red Fire shrimp.

Fish: 2 black & white ocellaris clownfish.

Corals and other Inverts: will be starting to add the first week of Aug.

*Will be keeping this lists up to date* Updated: 8/4/19*

AA2660C4-59CB-4185-A811-1A7F3DDB4937.jpeg

• Like 4

ninjamyst

no photos?  =(

Patty
2 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

no photos?  =(

Oops! Forgot to add the image 🙈

• Like 1

Patty

One of my favorite shrimps is the fire shrimp, I have had one on every reef tank I have owned. I am calling this one Firecracker. 

A74149C6-13C5-4443-857A-2A4D177B9959.jpeg

• Like 2

Patty

Tomorrow I should be getting the CUC and pods from Reef Cleaners, today I was checking  the parameter results between salifert and Hanna Checkers  to see if I need to calibrate my checkers. As well as getting everything ready to start adding corals in a couple of weeks.

7C7043B3-8083-4DB4-B171-7670646C997B.jpeg

40AB62CE-FD3E-4A76-90CD-31A8437B2C71.jpeg

HaloPhenom27

I had an Emerald Crab in the same tank and I had to give him to my son for his tank as the Emerald did quite a bit of damage to my rock. 

How long has your tank been up and running? I ask because it appears as though it is a new tank and you are already going to be putting corals in it at the beginning of August?

Also, it seems you are dosing alot of chemicals on a new set-up. I personally never dose a new tank with anything other than Turbo Start 900. I also don't run lights on a tank for the first 3-4 months and I never add corals before 6 months. 

Daniel91

Really like the rockscape - suggestion though: small rock for the middle to serve as island for invasive corals or corals that do not "belong" on sandbed but want low light = ) 

• Like 1

Garf

Patty-

From my experience, the Hannah checker is pretty accurate, mine was pretty consistent with the Salifert tests. They do sell standard calibration test vials, which can tell you if it is off a bit, though there is no way to calibrate the unit. The major thing I have noticed is the results vary from different lot numbers of the reagent, sometimes by quite a bit. I measured alk a day before with my original reagent, then opened a new bottle the next day to test after my water change. According to my new test reagent, dkh was .8 higher. Salifert test said it was higher also, so now I had no idea what my alk was really at. As I was not dosing, it would have been nice to know how much of the increase was due to the new test reagent. Testing shows that the alk is as stable as it was using the old reagent, so in reality it is just a new number to target. 

Next time I will test with the last of the old reagent, then with the new reagent and document the delta. 

What chemical filtration are you using? I wouldn't use anything other than charcoal, especially in a new tank.

Patty
On 7/12/2019 at 7:18 PM, HaloPhenom27 said:

I had an Emerald Crab in the same tank and I had to give him to my son for his tank as the Emerald did quite a bit of damage to my rock. 

How long has your tank been up and running? I ask because it appears as though it is a new tank and you are already going to be putting corals in it at the beginning of August?

Also, it seems you are dosing alot of chemicals on a new set-up. I personally never dose a new tank with anything other than Turbo Start 900. I also don't run lights on a tank for the first 3-4 months and I never add corals before 6 months. 

I have had a couple of emerald crabs on my previous builds and have been lucky that all have not wrecked havoc. The tank has been running for two weeks but the sand, pods, rock (20%), water and cheato are all coming from an stablished tank that has been running for years. I have been starting new tanks like this previously with no problems and only having a mini cycle that lasts around a week. 

I haven’t put all those chemicals on it, it was a picture of the chemicals I currently have and have used in previous tanks. Just grabbing everything and putting it together to get ready for the addition of corals, I am only using stability and have the chemipure running. I have never left a tank without lights for 3-4 months nor waited 6 months, but I have always started with rock and sand from previous tanks or a friends tank for my first tank ever around 8years ago.

On 7/12/2019 at 8:15 PM, Daniel91 said:

Really like the rockscape - suggestion though: small rock for the middle to serve as island for invasive corals or corals that do not "belong" on sandbed but want low light = ) 

Great minds think alike! I will be doing just that! I have a decent rock on the back of the tank currently seeding the refigium part that I will be bringing to the main display to use just for that.

On 7/12/2019 at 8:20 PM, Garf said:

Patty-

From my experience, the Hannah checker is pretty accurate, mine was pretty consistent with the Salifert tests. They do sell standard calibration test vials, which can tell you if it is off a bit, though there is no way to calibrate the unit. The major thing I have noticed is the results vary from different lot numbers of the reagent, sometimes by quite a bit. I measured alk a day before with my original reagent, then opened a new bottle the next day to test after my water change. According to my new test reagent, dkh was .8 higher. Salifert test said it was higher also, so now I had no idea what my alk was really at. As I was not dosing, it would have been nice to know how much of the increase was due to the new test reagent. Testing shows that the alk is as stable as it was using the old reagent, so in reality it is just a new number to target. 

Next time I will test with the last of the old reagent, then with the new reagent and document the delta. 

What chemical filtration are you using? I wouldn't use anything other than charcoal, especially in a new tank.

Interesting! Let me know. I was doing the testing due to my Hanna checker is a bit old and haven’t use it in a while and wanted to make sure it was accurate, normally I get a slight reading difference between the two but not huge. So was just making sure the Hanna checkers weren’t giving me false readings. I am using chemipure elite for chemical filtration.

Patty

The CUC arrived yesterday, sadly the emerald crab didn’t made it and was DOA but the rest of the CUC arrived in pretty good condition. 

My favorites are the blue legged hermit crabs 😊

AE094946-AF58-4C7A-AEF9-408B76C1E3EF.jpeg

161CB1D5-EB67-494C-841E-7B8B4BBCF3EE.jpeg

• Like 3

Patty

The time has come! Now to DIY a mesh cover or maybe find a place that can make one... My cuc is trying to escape! 🙄

9EFA5691-B6E8-4257-9161-C595FEF68384.jpeg

• Haha 2

Patty

Water change day! Did a 20% water change & added a bit more rock to the bottom. 

EC2B31F4-9A7A-4001-8E5E-A34B2D7D238F.jpeg

Melfy77
On 7/15/2019 at 11:47 AM, Patty said:

The time has come! Now to DIY a mesh cover or maybe find a place that can make one... My cuc is trying to escape! 🙄

9EFA5691-B6E8-4257-9161-C595FEF68384.jpeg

Hahaha. Last week I actually found a Trochu snail on the counter, about 6 inches away from the tank. It was still alive, back in the tank it went lol.

• Haha 1

Patty
2 hours ago, Melfy77 said:

Hahaha. Last week I actually found a Trochu snail on the counter, about 6 inches away from the tank. It was still alive, back in the tank it went lol.

One of mine went all the way to the bottom of the tank where the black piece frame is, luckily I caught it on time as well and back to the tank in went.

Here is the current snail party going down on the glass of the tank 🤣  still need to get the diy netting set but they have been staying inside the tank, the first day was the worse. 

DCF51191-870E-4A12-BD37-CB974591552C.jpeg

Patty

Two more weeks for corals! Can’t wait!

But there is sure enough going on in the tank still...Here is a snail riding a hermit half his size... 🤣

7AA2F2DB-8377-4A18-BE66-FB915127F9AF.jpeg

Garf

Wow, that is a lot of snails. I don't suppose you have another tank you could put them in? One with a ton of algae? I'd be afraid they would starve, and the die off could cause a nutrient spike.

I ordered the 10g pack, and ended up putting a majority of them in my grungy 5g. I know reefcleaners will load up the dwarf cerinth snails, I ended up keeping the nasarius, half the large cerints, and 8 of the dwarf cerinths. The nerites stayed in my tank for a few weeks, then I banished them, along with a few cerinths.

Patty
58 minutes ago, Garf said:

Wow, that is a lot of snails. I don't suppose you have another tank you could put them in? One with a ton of algae? I'd be afraid they would starve, and the die off could cause a nutrient spike.

I ordered the 10g pack, and ended up putting a majority of them in my grungy 5g. I know reefcleaners will load up the dwarf cerinth snails, I ended up keeping the nasarius, half the large cerints, and 8 of the dwarf cerinths. The nerites stayed in my tank for a few weeks, then I banished them, along with a few cerinths.

They do send a ton! A good amount will be going to a 5g Fluval Evo in a few weeks. Currently they have some hair algae to munch on. 

Patty

Woke up to this - Firecracker has molted! 😊

4BCB949E-65F1-4158-85B1-C7C8F34D5A43.jpeg

• Like 1

Patty

Currently deciding between getting reefroids which I haven’t tried before or coral frenzy which I have used in previous reef tanks.... decisions decisions... 

• Like 1

Daniel91

Reedroids have given me great results but feed right before a waterchange. It’s a one way ticket to a nutrition spike if you are not careful. 

• Thanks 1

Patty

Checked the parameters today:

Nitrite: 0.01

Nitrate: 2

Phosphates: 0.00

Alkalinity: 9.6

Ph: 8.1

Salinity: 1.026

8F08ECC1-2315-431C-9FF5-3CD3EF1ECDA1.jpeg

1B7C0847-EE99-4D6F-911E-CCC5CF0F3F38.jpeg

Daniel91

I would suggest do some ghost feeding - something for the hermits and a way to build a little bit of algae for the rest of the snails

Patty
4 hours ago, Daniel91 said:

I would suggest do some ghost feeding - something for the hermits and a way to build a little bit of algae for the rest of the snails

Yeah, there is a bit of hair algae on the rock and I am feeding heavily and putting some nori on the tank for the cuc.

490BB4C8-92E2-421D-BFBA-967378B738E4.jpeg

5F5F72DB-582F-4D9E-AEA0-A9429BB440C9.jpeg

Patty

Tank is officially 1 Month Today and is looking great! I just ordered $200 worth of coral that will be delivered on Tuesday! I am soo excited!! 

Today I did the 3g bi weekly water change and this week I ordered a good amount of goodies for the tank as well as a Fluval Evo 5 as a frag tank, fail safe tank. I usually try to have two tanks so if one has a nutrient spike I can move corals to the other tank while fixing the problem, specially when you have a nano tank and things can go south super quick.

Today the reef roids, tongs, epoxy, protein skimmer and a replacement chemi pure bag arrived. 

I am also redoing the aquascaping one more time, also removing most of the sand and only leaving a mound of it in the middle of tank, the rest is going to seed the 5g Evo as well as some of the rock that I took off the 13.5 (currently on a bucket to keep the rock and sand alive). Decided to go with one island on the middle of the tank rather than two. Will be checking parameters tomorrow, after everything settles.  

I also organized all the cords and installed everything, but the skimmer is not running yet as I am exhausted and will do it tomorrow after getting some sleep. Spent the last 4 hrs getting everything is fully setup and settled.  

1DE2FAC5-DB93-4ED5-8C19-6003B38FDA9B.jpeg

0409F13A-3A9C-4D16-9527-81D43229F505.jpeg

919D71EB-FEA3-48D6-B195-C51E59F57D5C.jpeg

Patty

Here is the new rockscape and got the skimmer running! 😁 

Also got a set of filters and macro lens for to use for the phone! Took a quick trial picture of my blood red shrimp and loving the results. Can’t wait to play some more with the lenses. 

26C623CE-74BA-4343-B3E0-9116432109F2.jpeg

859DF1CB-CA04-4116-8942-CEB887BB0FB1.jpeg