Pod Your Reef

Full tank shot, 2.5 years old

coralreef20g

That is one of the better, and unique, aquascapes I have seen! Looks cool. 

A six line and an orchid, look at you, throwing caution into the wind, haha. How is your orchid? I'm debating one, out of the dottyback family they seem to have the best reputation. 

• Like 2
On 7/9/2019 at 8:15 PM, colinadam said:

A six line and an orchid, look at you, throwing caution into the wind, haha. How is your orchid? I'm debating one, out of the dottyback family they seem to have the best reputation. 

Mine killed a damsel and two cleaners. It was an ORA captive bred but grew pretty large. So now I got a royal gramma instead.

• Like 2
coralreef20g
On 7/9/2019 at 6:15 PM, colinadam said:

What can I say? I like challenging myself 🤣 I love my orchid and his personality. He swims freely around the tank and through the rockscape. I’ve also never had a problem with him displaying aggression, and he is a very social fish. For example, when I am in the same room as my tank, my orchid will stay glued to the front panel of the glass as if he wants to get my attention. Then again every happy fish relates it’s owner with food and care. In my experience, fish deemed “aggressive” such as the six line and dottyback, can be mellowed down and perhaps be considered peaceful with proper introduction and a generous feeding schedule. Best of luck

coralreef20g
On 7/14/2019 at 1:48 PM, xM3THODx said:

I really like the rock scape. At 2.5 yrs old what which is your oldest coral? 

My oldest coral is the kryptonite candy cane colony on the bottom right. I bought it as a single head about a month and a half after I started my tank. The pic doesn’t do it justice but it’s probably a 20+ head colony now. I also bought a frogspawn and some zoas on that same day but they didn’t last. The frogspawn grew from about 1 head to 6, but was later eaten overnight by some rogue peppermint shrimp, which aren’t reef safe btw. And the zoas melted lol. But thank you for that question, it brings sentiment to me and that coral

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, coralreef20g said:

My oldest coral is the kryptonite candy cane colony on the bottom right. I bought it as a single head about a month and a half after I started my tank. The pic doesn’t do it justice but it’s probably a 20+ head colony now. I also bought a frogspawn and some zoas on that same day but they didn’t last. The frogspawn grew from about 1 head to 6, but was later eaten overnight by some rogue peppermint shrimp, which aren’t reef safe btw. And the zoas melted lol. But thank you for that question, it brings sentiment to me and that coral

That's pretty awesome growth!  One thing about keeping a reef tank is everyone know their first or oldest coral, no matter what it might be, it's sentimental. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2019 at 9:57 PM, coralreef20g said:

I like challenging myself

I am very glad it has worked out.

But just to clarify, it is not you that is being challenged by combining these fish.  Not in a significant way. 

It is the fish that are being challenged.

Preventing or reducing fish stress is the reason that most folks -especially newbs - ought to avoid a combination of fish like this.