Coral Vue Hydros

Sponge Crab ID needed

johnmaloney

johnmaloney

This little sponge crab is something different than the usual. Anyone have a good resource for a species level identification? Best websites I have found so far are in Japanese and aren’t translating well. 

He is a hitchhiker, so I have narrowed it down to a Dromiidae from the tropics or sun tropics. Could be worse. I came with a picture this time. 

I don't want to disturb him too much, but I believe he is currently naked and that is not a sponge on him. I may handle him a little if it doesn’t become apparent. 

BF52AFE5-8330-430E-89AC-1A63B007B226.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow 3
5 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

I have no idea what that is, but I want it (assuming reef-safe).  Haha. 

I want him more, I need to add to my collection of decorator crabs

• Like 1
12 hours ago, johnmaloney said:

This little sponge crab is something different than the usual. Anyone have a good resource for a species level identification? Best websites I have found so far are in Japanese and aren’t translating well. 

He is a hitchhiker, so I have narrowed it down to a Dromiidae from the tropics or sun tropics. Could be worse. I came with a picture this time. 

I don't want to disturb him too much, but I believe he is currently naked and that is not a sponge on him. I may handle him a little if it doesn’t become apparent. 

BF52AFE5-8330-430E-89AC-1A63B007B226.jpeg

I would agree with that genus, I don’t think it’s been fully described down to speices as many of them look similar. Might need DNA tests to find out speices?

7 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

I have no idea what that is, but I want it (assuming reef-safe).  Haha. 

From my understanding they're not reef safe, they'll pick at inverts of all shapes and sizes, smaller fish too. Really cool crab, hope someone can get a more specific ID since there are so many types of these little buggers out there, who knows maybe this one plays nice lol.

• Like 2
johnmaloney

I have seen what scientists have been getting away with when it comes to "new species" and a different eye color I think would do it. 😂 When the do DNA testing it tends to get narrower lol... 

For example, Halophila johnsonii is probably Halophila ovalis, just a non native transplant to FL. DNA says so. But scientists have decided that it is a new species, because federal grant money is attached to it being an "endangered" (misclassified) species. 

• Like 1
johnmaloney
1 hour ago, Amphrites said:

From my understanding they're not reef safe, they'll pick at inverts of all shapes and sizes, smaller fish too. Really cool crab, hope someone can get a more specific ID since there are so many types of these little buggers out there, who knows maybe this one plays nice lol.

This guy doesn't look reef safe to me either. 

Probably not I am afraid, they tend to have bad behavior throughout the family I think. It is in Mithracidae that we will find new species for the hobby I think. 

• Like 1
johnmaloney

Yeah I think so, I was thinking his eye color made him a different species. I think the newer classification is Cryptodomia. I could be mistaken, they need to settle on one compendium of crabs, sell it for free on kindle and coffee table full illustration format, and go from there. It is the only sensible thing. My understanding is that the crabs this genus are nocturnal and possibly smaller?

• Like 1