ReefCleaners.org

Cycling advice? Critique my plan

dan0788

Im in the process of setting up my first sw tank. Im coming from freshwater that ended abruptly due to mechanical error so I'd like to take every precaution necessary by following a strict QT process. With that being said, once the tank cycles, can it serve as a QT for the CUC as long as I keep it fishless for 76 days? It would just be live rock and sand.

Is there any drawback to this that would allow something to be introduced to the DT tank that can live past 76 days?

My rough plan:
Cycle DT tank and include extra piece of sponge media 
Set up QT tank for clown pair using cycled media
Add CUC to DT, fishless for 76 days. Feed CUC as needed
Add clowns to QT tank for 76 days
Both tanks are fully QT'ed after 76 days and fish can be moved to DT
QT tank turns into frag QT tank

4 hours ago, dan0788 said:

Im in the process of setting up my first sw tank. Im coming from freshwater that ended abruptly due to mechanical error so I'd like to take every precaution necessary by following a strict QT process. With that being said, once the tank cycles, can it serve as a QT for the CUC as long as I keep it fishless for 76 days? It would just be live rock and sand.

Is there any drawback to this that would allow something to be introduced to the DT tank that can live past 76 days?

My rough plan:
Cycle DT tank and include extra piece of sponge media 
Set up QT tank for clown pair using cycled media
Add CUC to DT, fishless for 76 days. Feed CUC as needed
Add clowns to QT tank for 76 days
Both tanks are fully QT'ed after 76 days and fish can be moved to DT
QT tank turns into frag QT tank

Most don't use sponge media in sw as it can become a nitrate factory. We use filter floss that's changed twice a week or more if needed.

Are you planning on using dry rock or live rock?

We do use sponges to jump start a qt tank, particularly when we need to set one up in emergency.

You can put a cuc in the dt while fish are in qt.

Why qt for 76 days? Just curious. 

A lot observe for 4 weeks or prophylactically treat them for the number of weeks needed(depending on meds choices), then added when they are clear.