Jump to content
Aidanburkhardt

Creating a custom sump

Recommended Posts

Aidanburkhardt

Hello, I’m relatively new the saltwater hobby and have a few nano tanks set up for close to a year now doing very well. I wanted to try and convert a standard tank into a saltwater system so that I could get some experience with building sumps instead of relying on all in one tanks, and to have experience with larger systems. If anybody has any advice on how to get started, how to drill the holes for overflow and return, equipment suggestions, etc. I’d really appreciate it any advice would really help

Share this post


Link to post
A.Berry

If you take a look at my thread, I just built a diy pvc overflow that didn't require drilling and a 20 gallon long into a sump. I took an 11" wide steralite tub and cut a slot in it the depth i wanted for the refugium overflow and ziptied plastic mesh to it. it seems to be working well and was really inexpensive

Share this post


Link to post
seabass
17 hours ago, Aidanburkhardt said:

I wanted to try and convert a standard tank into a saltwater system so that I could get some experience with building sumps instead of relying on all in one tanks

What size tank do you have?  If the tank has thick enough glass, they aren't terribly difficult to drill.  I like to use a standard aquarium for the sump as well.  It's pretty doable to cut a glass baffle and silicone it into the sump.

 

We also need some input on what you want in your sump.  If it's just a skimmer and a heater, then a single baffle is sufficient.  Without a skimmer, a baffle might not even be required.  However, if you wish to setup a macroalgae refugium, you would need multiple baffles.

Share this post


Link to post
Aidanburkhardt
8 hours ago, seabass said:

What size tank do you have?  If the tank has thick enough glass, they aren't terribly difficult to drill.  I like to use a standard aquarium for the sump as well.  It's pretty doable to cut a glass baffle and silicone it into the sump.

 

We also need some input on what you want in your sump.  If it's just a skimmer and a heater, then a single baffle is sufficient.  Without a skimmer, a baffle might not even be required.  However, if you wish to setup a macroalgae refugium, you would need multiple baffles.

It’s a 25 gallon display and I have another 13 gallon tank I’d hope to use for the sump I’m not sure if I wanna do anything to complicated probably just some mechanical filtration off the overflow some bio media and a skimmer and heater 

Share this post


Link to post
seabass
2 hours ago, Aidanburkhardt said:

I’m not sure if I wanna do anything to complicated probably just some mechanical filtration off the overflow some bio media and a skimmer and heater

Your live rock in the display tank should be all the bio-media you need.  You might decide to use a filter sock for your mechanical filtration.  And as I stated above, just one baffle is needed to maintain a constant water level for your protein skimmer (just section off an area for your return pump).

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...