KimmyB75

Lights

KimmyB75

Here I go again lol!!

I FINALLY found the specs for the lighting I have on my Current Ramp Timer Pro. Please tell me what you guys think.

·        48-60”

·        Dimensions: 46.8 x 3.5 x 0.44

·        96 Dual Daylight/96 Dual Actinic LEDs, 192 LEDs Total

·        46 Watts

Here is the full listing from the site.

24 Hour Saltwater Reef Aquarium Light, Wireless Remote Controlled Effects

This LED light is specifically designed for saltwater aquariums, it features a high ratio of blue spectrum light. By combining the industry’s first Dual Daylight and Dual Actinic LED spectrums with our innovative Ramp Timer Pro™ LED controller, Current USA offers a complete 24 hour aquarium lighting solution. Now you can simulate a gradual sunrise, sunset and customized moonlight like never before. Designed specifically for saltwater aquarium environments, this is the perfect choice for marine aquarists at any level.

·        24 hour on/off time, ramp up and dim down duration (0-30 minutes)

·        Minimum and maximum intensity (0-100%), color adjustment

·        Adjustable moon light color, brightness and duration

·        On-demand weather effects including cloud cover, storm with lightning and fading moonlight

·        Fully controllable, includes Ramp Timer Pro with wireless IR remote

·        Thin, sleek aluminum housing

·        Plug-and-play, easy to program, internal memory

·        Adjustable docking mounts fit on a wide variety of aquarium sizes

·        Low voltage, 12VDC and IP65 water resistant, safe for aquariums

·        48-60”

·        Dimensions: 46.8 x 3.5 x 0.44

·        96 Dual Daylight/96 Dual Actinic LEDs, 192 LEDs Total

·        46 Watts

The system includes:

·        1 Orbit Marine LED fixture with attached adjustable docking mounts

·        1 Ramp Timer Pro with Wireless LED remote control

·        1 12V DC UL transformer

Garf

You should start a journal, just create a new post in the aquarium journals and copy some of this stuff in there. It helps you to track what is going on with your tank, even if it is mainly you posting there. 

If I remember right, you got a used setup with a hang on back filter, and just added a nem. Also thinking of increasing the sand bed. In order to get the best advice from the great people on this site, include as much information as you can, how much rock is in the tank, how long have you have had it, how was the tank transfer done, was the rock out of water at anytime, and what are your water parameters. I get the feeling you are new at reefing, and if you are, I would suggest not adding anymore corals or livestock to the tank until you get things sorted out. If this is not the case and water params and tank are stable, full speed ahead!

In any case, welcome to nano reefs!

• Like 1

KimmyB75

I stared a journal on a notebook. Being new I did not notice the journal tab till yesterday. I will be doing that asap to make it easier. Thank you for the advice.

As for the tank transfer, All rock was moved in totes under water from the tank along with livestock. Transport took about an hour to get it home and everything stayed in totes with air lines till the next morning due to being late. Sand bed left in tank with about 3 inches or so of water. On set up since everything was pretty gross, I did clean off tank walls and equipment. Tank came with somewhere around 35-40 lbs rock and has about 1''-2'' course sand bed. Added all rock and 22 of the 29 gallons of the original water back due to only having access to distilled water at that moment. Tank back up and running on 7/4 with everyone back in and settling in nicely. Have not added anything new other than 2 peppermint shrimp for the Aptasia and 2 snails to help with algae till the LTA move in 2 days ago. Water checks have been holding steady with Ca at 420. Mag was low and No3 is a bit higher than I would like, but acceptable at 20 till I make a few modifications to drop them. I will not be adding anything else including corals till these areas are corrected and remain stable.  LTA ate like a champ today and has really good pale tan color and good color in tips.

I will be doing a full journal in the next couple days to record the progress and record some of the ideas I am thinking about doing. The main purpose of asking about the lighting is because that is something I can do an immediate fix if it is needed before going through a trial and expensive error. The rest will still take time and patience to get it to the show piece I want it to become.

Clown79
10 hours ago, KimmyB75 said:

I stared a journal on a notebook. Being new I did not notice the journal tab till yesterday. I will be doing that asap to make it easier. Thank you for the advice.

As for the tank transfer, All rock was moved in totes under water from the tank along with livestock. Transport took about an hour to get it home and everything stayed in totes with air lines till the next morning due to being late. Sand bed left in tank with about 3 inches or so of water. On set up since everything was pretty gross, I did clean off tank walls and equipment. Tank came with somewhere around 35-40 lbs rock and has about 1''-2'' course sand bed. Added all rock and 22 of the 29 gallons of the original water back due to only having access to distilled water at that moment. Tank back up and running on 7/4 with everyone back in and settling in nicely. Have not added anything new other than 2 peppermint shrimp for the Aptasia and 2 snails to help with algae till the LTA move in 2 days ago. Water checks have been holding steady with Ca at 420. Mag was low and No3 is a bit higher than I would like, but acceptable at 20 till I make a few modifications to drop them. I will not be adding anything else including corals till these areas are corrected and remain stable.  LTA ate like a champ today and has really good pale tan color and good color in tips.

I will be doing a full journal in the next couple days to record the progress and record some of the ideas I am thinking about doing. The main purpose of asking about the lighting is because that is something I can do an immediate fix if it is needed before going through a trial and expensive error. The rest will still take time and patience to get it to the show piece I want it to become.

The nitrates are probably from keeping the old sand. When the rocks are moved and old sand is disturbed, it releases a lot of things into the water column. Same thing occurs when you go to re-aquascape.

We often recommend either removing the old sand and washing it, or replacing it all together.

The light is fine, not for hi light demanding corals. There are members who use the light.

There are better options but really depends on your plans.

Did you ever test ammonia after the transfer because sometimes a spike occurs in transfers.

more so when sand under rocks is disturbed because it's not normally touched and even more likely if the owner never vacuumed the sand.

Phosphate is another important parameter but a good tester is needed. Hanna ULR or salifert.

Alk is very important

Keep an eye on the peppermint shrimp, then can go after corals. 

KimmyB75
33 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

The nitrates are probably from keeping the old sand. When the rocks are moved and old sand is disturbed, it releases a lot of things into the water column. Same thing occurs when you go to re-aquascape.

We often recommend either removing the old sand and washing it, or replacing it all together.

The light is fine, not for hi light demanding corals. There are members who use the light.

There are better options but really depends on your plans.

Did you ever test ammonia after the transfer because sometimes a spike occurs in transfers.

more so when sand under rocks is disturbed because it's not normally touched and even more likely if the owner never vacuumed the sand.

Phosphate is another important parameter but a good tester is needed. Hanna ULR or salifert.

Alk is very important

Keep an eye on the peppermint shrimp, then can go after corals. 

I did test and ammonia was undetectable. I have not tested for phosphate, but can order a test kit for that. Ph is about 8.1 and Alk is a little over 180 closer to 200. No2 was undetectable. Really the only thing it was deficient in was Magnesium. The previous owner must have vacuumed the bottom before I got there because I was fully expecting to see an ammonia spike as well. I even kept the livestock in the totes for an extra day to make sure the ammonia spike would not be horrible and kill everything. It has been a week not and still no ammonia. Could have been a lucky brake maybe? If so, I bet I will never get that lucky again lol.

I am about to start a journal to document how it's progressing.

• Like 1

Garf

The Current Marine light is ok, it is the single fixture, correct? I was looking at those initially, and I was confused by the Marine, Marine Pro, and older versions out there. It seems like they doubled the lights by adding another fixture in the current version. You may look into that, buying just another light fixture, it should plug right into the Ramp Pro Timer.  

I have never bothered with rinsing live sand, or an existing sand bed when doing a move. I will however stir everything up (no livestock in tank) and do something like a 90% water change to get a lot of the junk cleared out. But this was always done with having a new, cycled tank ready to accept the livestock, this way I can stir up the old tank, add rock and let it get established over a month or so.  

• Like 1