Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Wondering about sponges

KimmyB75

I'm Back! lol

Ok, to cut to the chase. I was directed to an online shop that I have fell in love with and can not wait to make my first purchase! They have a sub topic listed for nano tanks to help take the guess work out of what will work. Granted, they do not have everything one could dream of. Just what they carry or can get. The have a listing for a red sea sponge. I know I plan to add come color to my system and this would fit the bill perfectly. I am researching how to care for them and it looks like they are filter feeders. Light requirements are moderate and I have more than just moderate for lighting for when/if I decide on trying some more delicate stuff. Anyone have experience with sponges? It will be a while before I order anything since I am contemplating some changes. Would rather hold off on purchases till I have the tank set they way I want it and plan to leave it.

They are not ideal for new tanks, as algae, diatoms, cyano, dinos can cover them.  However, if you can feed your tank liberally, without experiencing blooms, then you can probably keep a non-photosynthetic sponge.

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, seabass said:

They are not ideal for new tanks, as algae, diatoms, cyano, dinos can cover them.  However, if you can feed your tank liberally, without experiencing blooms, then you can probably keep a non-photosynthetic sponge.

How old does the tank need to be? Mine is almost 1.5 yrs old. I do have some Cyano that is almost completely under control. It was in pretty poor shape when I got it with Aptasia, Green Hair, and Cyano. Almost all Aptasia gone now thanks to peppermints and lemon juice injection for the large ones that the peps will not touch. I want to give it another 4 to 6 months before deciding if this is something I want to add. 

You shouldn't be currently fighting anything.  Dosing phyto regularly is also a good plan.  So starting a phyto culture makes sense.

8 hours ago, seabass said:

You shouldn't be currently fighting anything.  Dosing phyto regularly is also a good plan.  So starting a phyto culture makes sense.

I have actually been reading more on Phyto culture and was actually contemplating doing it. There is so much mixed feelings out there on weather to Phyto or not to Phyto. If I do, I think instead of dosing, I will probably target feed since the tank is only 29g. I am researching on upgrading to a 40 or maybe a 50. Still undecided which is why I am going to take time and read, read, read.