Top Shelf Aquatics

LogicalReef's Pico

LogicalReefs

LogicalReefs

Hey Everyone. I thought I was done with saltwater tanks but I had the itch to try it again. This time wanted to start a pico reef tank and see how that goes. I plan to keep it simple and cheap.

Tank and filtration:

2.5 gallon tank

50 watt aqueon heater preset at 78f

Aqua Clear 20 with filter floss and biomax media

Fluval spec v 5 pump

Kessil a160we

4 pounds of Bahama oolite Carib Sea

2 pounds of pukani and dry base rock

Live stock:

None until the tank cycles

Clean up crew:

None until the tank cycles

20190708_160153.jpg

• Like 5
Chris's Fishes

Liking it so far!

One thing that I found to be helpful in running pico tanks (or even smaller nanos) is to run them barebottom or to have just a tiny layer of sand for ornamental purposes. You have a LOT of sand in there, which is fine - it'll just take some extra maintenance to keep clean, IME. That said, if you plan to have some critters that'll make use of the sand, power to ya!

LogicalReefs
8 minutes ago, Fisker said:

Liking it so far!

One thing that I found to be helpful in running pico tanks (or even smaller nanos) is to run them barebottom or to have just a tiny layer of sand for ornamental purposes. You have a LOT of sand in there, which is fine - it'll just take some extra maintenance to keep clean, IME. That said, if you plan to have some critters that'll make use of the sand, power to ya!

Thanks! I plan to put a nassasrius snail in with a trocus snail for clean up crew. As far as live stock I have no clue what to get. I was thinking maybe a yellow clown goby or something of that nature. What do you think my be a good fish for the pico?

LogicalReefs
5 minutes ago, minimal said:

Great start! What are your plans for livestock?

Would also +1 on the BB or thin sand bed. 

Thanks alot! I'll see how it goes once I get everything up and running. Plan to run a tight clean up schedule for the tank since it's pretty easy to maintain. Maybe twice a week 1 gallon water changes and 1 of those times vacumm the sand bed. As far as live stock I don't want to have a big bio load in the tank so I'm all for suggestions when it comes to live stock lol. I need all the help I can get.

Chris's Fishes

I personally think you'll want a more varied CUC than that - maybe consider a handful of Dwarf Ceriths, a couple of Nassarius, and a hermit crab or two.

If you're not wanting a large bioload, then I'd recommend against any fish. A 2.5 gallon is NOT a lot of water - and you've probably got closer 1.5 gallons. You could certainly keep a fish in the tank, but you'll have to feed carefully, and bioload will be pretty high. Not undoable, but know what you're getting into.

Here's a list of fish recommended for picos - I'm not sure that I'd recommend all of them, but these are the ones who have been successfully kept in tiny tanks.

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/74703-lgreens-ultimate-guide-to-nano-fish/

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, LogicalReefs said:

I'll see how it goes once I get everything up and running. Plan to run a tight clean up schedule for the tank since it's pretty easy to maintain. Maybe twice a week 1 gallon water changes and 1 of those times vacumm the sand bed. As far as live stock I don't want to have a big bio load in the tank so I'm all for suggestions when it comes to live stock lol. I need all the help I can get.

I’d suggest doing a 1/2 or 3/4 gallon water change every week instead of two one gallons. Those are roughly 50% water changes, and if you don’t have a big bio load you won’t need to export that many nutrients 🙂 

as for livestock, I’m always partial to trimma sp. gobies, they’re a tad difficult to find sometimes but pretty fish! They’re TINY as well, so great for picos. 

3 minutes ago, Fisker said:

I personally think you'll want a more varied CUC than that - maybe consider a handful of Dwarf Ceriths, a couple of Nassarius, and a hermit crab or two.

If you're not wanting a large bioload, then I'd recommend against any fish. A 2.5 gallon is NOT a lot of water - and you've probably got closer 1.5 gallons. You could certainly keep a fish in the tank, but you'll have to feed carefully, and bioload will be pretty high. Not undoable, but know what you're getting into.

Here's a list of fish recommended for picos - I'm not sure that I'd recommend all of them, but these are the ones who have been successfully kept in tiny tanks.

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/74703-lgreens-ultimate-guide-to-nano-fish/

Also gotta agree here. The tiny water volume gives you far less time to respond to fluctuating levels

But with lots of live rock, disciplined water changes, very low bioload and it should go well

LogicalReefs
14 minutes ago, minimal said:

I’d suggest doing a 1/2 or 3/4 gallon water change every week instead of two one gallons. Those are roughly 50% water changes, and if you don’t have a big bio load you won’t need to export that many nutrients 🙂 

as for livestock, I’m always partial to trimma sp. gobies, they’re a tad difficult to find sometimes but pretty fish! They’re TINY as well, so great for picos. 

Sweet. I can manage those water changes lol. I'll try the half gallon water changes then. I'm currently mixing in a 2 gallon trash can so that shouldn't be a problem for such a small batch to mix up.

Those gobies are super nice! I'll have to see if I can find one since most of the lfs around me don't seem to carry stuff like that. Sure they have gem tangs but if I walk in and ask for that I'd feel dumb. It's more of me being shy than them being jerky. They are all actually really nice. 🤣

1 hour ago, LogicalReefs said:

Sweet. I can manage those water changes lol. I'll try the half gallon water changes then. I'm currently mixing in a 2 gallon trash can so that shouldn't be a problem for such a small batch to mix up.

Those gobies are super nice! I'll have to see if I can find one since most of the lfs around me don't seem to carry stuff like that. Sure they have gem tangs but if I walk in and ask for that I'd feel dumb. It's more of me being shy than them being jerky. They are all actually really nice. 🤣

Haha. The gem tang might be a tad out of place in a 2.5g 😁 Just start a conversation! Most guys are awesome, and will usually order stuff in for you. My place is kind enough to do an extended QT on special orders 🙂 

LogicalReefs

I took a rock out since I felt it was pretty over crowded in this tank. I think it looks much better and there is better flow all around the tank. Also had to take out the fluval spec v pump since I noticed it clearly says on  the pump cord to only use in fresh water since it might corrode in anything else and cause electrical shock. Don't wanna fry any fish I might get later lol

20190710_202103.jpg

• Like 1
LogicalReefs

Can anyone tell me what these little hair like strands are on the rock? They look like hair algae but it's been on the rock since it was dry.

20190710_202528.jpg

20190710_202940.jpg

Honestly I think that's just dead hair algae, happened in my old tank too. Just take the rock out and try hitting it with a toothbrush and it should be fine 🙂

I think it looks a million times better with just the one rock. 

If you want,I have some Stax rocks you can get for a few bucks,and some regular dry rock that is pretty nice. If interested just PM me. 

• Like 2
LogicalReefs

I got beginnings of diatoms! Cycle pretty much done. Going to look for corals soon. I was thinking maybe some acans, zoas, frogspawn and monti caps.

• Like 2
LogicalReefs

What are some good corals to occupy the sand? I want to fill out the bottom a little bit don't want to add any rocks. I was maybe thinking of GSP on a small rock for it grow on. 

Acan's,Favia,Lepto,Shroom's,Zoa's,Monti's,really just about anything. What I would suggest is pop them off the plugs if possible and get 2"-3" tiles and glue the frag to them and push the tile flush in the sand and they will have room to grow out and you shouldn't look too unnatural. 

• Like 2
LogicalReefs

Diatoms are gone. Doing a 1 gallon water change today and will continue to feed the tank mysis shrimp to keep the bacteria that helps with biological filtration alive until I can get a clown goby for this tank.

20190720_122548.jpg

20190720_120925.jpg

• Like 1