Cultivated Reef

Well water and RODI water

NSReefer902

NSReefer902

Hey all,

quck question, I’ve been keep freshwater tanks for a few years with a variety of invertebrates in them using only my well water. I understand that to be sure I should use an RODI system, but I have already started a tank about 6 weeks ago with this well water. my thought was if it’s not killing my invertebrates in my fresh water tank it shouldn’t hurt the ones in my reef tank. Right now I have two Halloween hermits in there ( I know they get a big for a 10 gallon and am planing to move them to my 75 when it’s finished cycling).

my question is if since the water is safe for my fresh water snails and shirmp if it will be safe for my salt water ones?

Thanks

Sounds like this question is 6 weeks late 😃 

I used to live on a well and wouldnt even think of putting that in my old reef tank, I had an RODI unit that would suck DI resin like crazy. 

I would ask what your TDS rate is of your well water but I'm guessing if you dont have an RODI unit you dont have a TDS meter to measure your water to see just how bad it is. 

• Like 1
NSReefer902

6weeks late is right 😪, our well is on a natural spring so when we did our water test it came back clean as a whistle( at least by safe water terms specially since the previous owners installed a UV light) I was thinking about just getting it tested again and getting the results but it seems for the price of an RODI system my money is better spent just purchasing it and moving on. 

Since my cycle is completed I was contemplating doing a 50% water change with some purchased distilled water.  My concerns really came to light with a recent large amount of these little brown spots of algae that started to take over. I their called Brown Diatoms? I  could be spelling it incorrectly. Below is a picture, this had amplified my concern over my water quality or maybe these are normal and I just need to pick up some of the appropriate snails to combat it. Any help would be appreciated thanks 🙂  

image.jpg

Those are totally normal, part of the new tank uglies, everyone gets them. 

I would look into a TDS meter, maybe you can get by with a simple RO machine without the DI part. Or, is there a fish store that sells RO water nearby? That could be an option. 

NSReefer902

I’ll look into the TDS meter, there is a fish store I can pick up RO water from ( I didn’t really ask if they sell it but I’m sure they will) although with a 75 gallon tank getting started in a few months I’d rather not be buying water for water changes when top offs. I appreciate the help thanks for the quick replies 

Well water can be hard water, so Ca levels may end up high. 

The other issues is TDS and other minerals in the water. 

Using distilled is safe.

• Like 1

Hello,

I am a newbe "noob" too. I also have well water, but its from a community well. The water tested perfect to an extent. It had no chlorine and no gunk, but it is hard and full of calcium to the point that calcium actually builds up on my tubs and bathroom sink drains if it is not cleaned frequently. Sometimes if it has been raining a lot, the water runs brown for a little while before it clears up. As a fellow well water recipient, I would strongly suggest Distilled till you get an RO system of some sort. I am running a 29g so it is easier to get 8-10 jugs at a time that it is for you with that size of set up. Also, on another note. I know places like Walmart have the RO water stations where you purchase the refillable jug, but IMO I wouldn't trust it. I asked a sales associate about how frequently the vendor comes to check/change the filter and they did not know. I know I have not been in there when there was anyone servicing them! Not to say it doesn't happen. Good luck. These guys here have helped me a ton with questions and are great. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, KimmyB75 said:

Hello,

I am a newbe "noob" too. I also have well water, but its from a community well. The water tested perfect to an extent. It had no chlorine and no gunk, but it is hard and full of calcium to the point that calcium actually builds up on my tubs and bathroom sink drains if it is not cleaned frequently. Sometimes if it has been raining a lot, the water runs brown for a little while before it clears up. As a fellow well water recipient, I would strongly suggest Distilled till you get an RO system of some sort. I am running a 29g so it is easier to get 8-10 jugs at a time that it is for you with that size of set up. Also, on another note. I know places like Walmart have the RO water stations where you purchase the refillable jug, but IMO I wouldn't trust it. I asked a sales associate about how frequently the vendor comes to check/change the filter and they did not know. I know I have not been in there when there was anyone servicing them! Not to say it doesn't happen. Good luck. These guys here have helped me a ton with questions and are great. 

Ya my water through the city is part well and river- I have the same issue with calcium on tubes, dishes, anything water touches and very high tds levels.

Definitely agree, those machines with RO water aren't always trust worthy since you have no idea about the maintenance. Plus it's only RO water.

• Like 1

Luckily a good friend of my husband and I decided to leave the hobby and sold off his 150g. He still had his 7 stage RO/DI and I am getting it this week for a whole $50!! All I have to get is new filter cartridges for it. I am beyond excited. Now my more sensitive Orchids get to benefit from better water because of my new hobby. I just bought my last jugs of distilled today for my water change. No more lugging jugs!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, KimmyB75 said:

Luckily a good friend of my husband and I decided to leave the hobby and sold off his 150g. He still had his 7 stage RO/DI and I am getting it this week for a whole $50!! All I have to get is new filter cartridges for it. I am beyond excited. Now my more sensitive Orchids get to benefit from better water because of my new hobby. I just bought my last jugs of distilled today for my water change. No more lugging jugs!

That's a great price for the rodi.

I love orchids.

6 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

That's a great price for the rodi.

I love orchids.

Me too! My hubby calls them skunk weed just to tease me. I did have a little over 50, but lost a few due to being so darn hot here. Had to drag them indoors and now the Catleya's are not happy with me.

4 minutes ago, KimmyB75 said:

Me too! My hubby calls them skunk weed just to tease me. I did have a little over 50, but lost a few due to being so darn hot here. Had to drag them indoors and now the Catleya's are not happy with me.

I tried keeping them but I just don't have a green thumb. My mom laughed cause I could kill ivy's. Lol.

Wow, 50. That must have been a sight.

• Like 1

I kill cactus lol. It really was. I am down to about 15 or so and it is a ton easier. The key to orchids are to ignore them. If you pay attention to them, they die lol. Mine get wattered about maybe 1 time a month if I remember. Most people "love them to death" by over watering them. Most are found in the rainforest and only get water during rainy season, so very little water but more than what a cactus would get. 

23 minutes ago, KimmyB75 said:

I kill cactus lol. It really was. I am down to about 15 or so and it is a ton easier. The key to orchids are to ignore them. If you pay attention to them, they die lol. Mine get wattered about maybe 1 time a month if I remember. Most people "love them to death" by over watering them. Most are found in the rainforest and only get water during rainy season, so very little water but more than what a cactus would get. 

Lol.

I tried everything you just advised. I think the issue is I don't get direct light and no place near a window where my cats won't destroy them. 

Just now, Clown79 said:

Lol.

I tried everything you just advised. I think the issue is I don't get direct light and no place near a window where my cats won't destroy them. 

HAHAHA! Gotta love the kitties!! If it were not for these 2 butthole dogs of mine, I would have another kitty. They are jealous of me paying attention to my hubby lol.

• Haha 1
NSReefer902

Luckily my water isn't the least bit hard but I got a TDS meter today, kind of in a backwards way since the LFS didnt have any  i went to walmart and found one that came with a zero water filter thing (kinda like a britta filter). turns out I have a terrible amount of TDS 85ppm, so looks like future water changes are with distilled water until i get at least an RO system.

Thanks for the help!

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, NSReefer902 said:

Luckily my water isn't the least bit hard but I got a TDS meter today, kind of in a backwards way since the LFS didnt have any  i went to walmart and found one that came with a zero water filter thing (kinda like a britta filter). turns out I have a terrible amount of TDS 85ppm, so looks like future water changes are with distilled water until i get at least an RO system.

Thanks for the help!

I was actually looking at those yesterday. Didn't know they came with a TDS meter! I will be so happy when I no longer have to buy water. Hopefully my RO will be here this week.

1 hour ago, NSReefer902 said:

Thanks for the help!

85 isn't terrible. Mine ranges from 450-530 in summer and 350-430 in winter 

• Haha 1

i would say go to a rodi system, and i was sort of like you i was thinking about just using well water. Was told tests, came back great. then i tested it with my hand tds meter 400 TDS, so i bought a rodi and now its down to 2 TDS so for the money its worth not having the headache later.

• 2 weeks later...
NSReefer902

Just a quick update for anyone following.

I left for 5 days and had someone do top ups for me. i figured id stick with the well water until I got back and could do a water change with distilled water. when I came back my entire Tank was engulfed with brown diatoms, like completely over run. From what i could figure it was from what ever silica's are in my well water and they where continually being  fed with any water top ups. I also learned a valuable lesson on hydro-meters and their inaccuracy. I dropped mine and it broke so I went to the LFS and got a Digital Hanna Salinity checker, I made the new water and just before I scrapped all the brown off the tank and scrubs the rocks and my salinity was off by a fair amount compared to what the hydro-meter was saying, which probably means my sailintiy has been jumping all over the place, plus all my snails died my hermits are alive and since i changed the water and cleaned all the brown algae they are quite happy....

lessons learned: 

1. Water quality is very important

2. Do not waste money on a hydro meter and just buy a digital meter

Luckily the tank is back on track and looking good. RODI is certainly on my next purchase list.

Thanks everyone!!!

56 minutes ago, NSReefer902 said:

Just a quick update for anyone following.

I left for 5 days and had someone do top ups for me. i figured id stick with the well water until I got back and could do a water change with distilled water. when I came back my entire Tank was engulfed with brown diatoms, like completely over run. From what i could figure it was from what ever silica's are in my well water and they where continually being  fed with any water top ups. I also learned a valuable lesson on hydro-meters and their inaccuracy. I dropped mine and it broke so I went to the LFS and got a Digital Hanna Salinity checker, I made the new water and just before I scrapped all the brown off the tank and scrubs the rocks and my salinity was off by a fair amount compared to what the hydro-meter was saying, which probably means my sailintiy has been jumping all over the place, plus all my snails died my hermits are alive and since i changed the water and cleaned all the brown algae they are quite happy....

lessons learned: 

1. Water quality is very important

2. Do not waste money on a hydro meter and just buy a digital meter

Luckily the tank is back on track and looking good. RODI is certainly on my next purchase list.

Thanks everyone!!!

What Hannah checker did you get for salinity? The HI98319 Marine Salinity Tester, the pen type, is only good for testing newly mixed saltwater. For tank water, it is useless, as the suspended stuff in a tank interferes with the electrical conductivity. 

NSReefer902
On 7/18/2019 at 8:34 PM, Garf said:

What Hannah checker did you get for salinity? The HI98319 Marine Salinity Tester, the pen type, is only good for testing newly mixed saltwater. For tank water, it is useless, as the suspended stuff in a tank interferes with the electrical conductivity. 

Ohh no!! The LFS led me wrong!  Any suggestions on a good replacement for it it? I did some research and so far everything I found online says it was designed to test the salinity in an aquarium setting. Along with a lot of reviews boosting its accuracy against other refractometers testing with tank water. Just want to make sure I don’t kill anymore critters 

4 hours ago, NSReefer902 said:

Ohh no!! The LFS led me wrong!  Any suggestions on a good replacement for it it? I did some research and so far everything I found online says it was designed to test the salinity in an aquarium setting. Along with a lot of reviews boosting its accuracy against other refractometers testing with tank water. Just want to make sure I don’t kill anymore critters 

I saw some reviews on bulkreefsupply where they said it. I calibrated, tested mine and it was way off. Could not get a reading that would come close to my refractometer. I calibrated the refractometer with solution and my RODI water and it was spot on. If you can borrow a refractometer to test, perhaps yours may be OK. 

NSReefer902
On 7/20/2019 at 2:10 AM, Garf said:

I saw some reviews on bulkreefsupply where they said it. I calibrated, tested mine and it was way off. Could not get a reading that would come close to my refractometer. I calibrated the refractometer with solution and my RODI water and it was spot on. If you can borrow a refractometer to test, perhaps yours may be OK. 

Ill Try that and check it out, thanks for the info!