Coral Vue Hydros

CD_Scapes

I’m looking for a smaller clam species that could go in my future 15 gallon biotope and saw Reef Cleaners gets baby Cross Barred Venus Clams (Chinoe cancellation) and baby Hard Clams (Mercenaria mercenaria). I was planning on getting one or both speices eventually. Would I treat them like a feather duster and target feed them phyto and other small particle foods? Would it also be possible to get barnacles and mussels too or is my water volume too low?

These clams will live in your substrate and will be 100% undetectable once they are added to your aquarium. The only way to ever see them is if you intentionally place them directly up against your front glass. In general they should not require supplemental feeding unless your dissolved organics are very low.

Barnacles and mussels are very difficult to obtain in the aquarium trade; I imagine you would have to collect them yourself if you really wanted them in your tank. I think 15 gallons would be too small for most mussels and the larger species of barnacles, as they filter a large volume of water through their gills every day. You'd have to feed phyto like crazy to keep them alive.

35 minutes ago, billygoat said:

These clams will live in your substrate and will be 100% undetectable once they are added to your aquarium. The only way to ever see them is if you intentionally place them directly up against your front glass. In general they should not require supplemental feeding unless your dissolved organics are very low.

Barnacles and mussels are very difficult to obtain in the aquarium trade; I imagine you would have to collect them yourself if you really wanted them in your tank. I think 15 gallons would be too small for most mussels and the larger species of barnacles, as they filter a large volume of water through their gills every day. You'd have to feed phyto like crazy to keep them alive.

Okay, that’s what I was thinking too. I couldn’t “force” the clams to stay on the Rocks either? My nerite snail has some barnacles on its shells that’s why I asked about the barnacles. I’m guessing then most bivalves around out