Pod Your Reef

Water readings question...

KimmyB75

Hello,

First time posting here, but figured I could use the help. I recently acquired a 29 gal tank which had to be disassembled and moved almost 50 miles. Long story short, it was a task, but I got it done and kept 22 gal of the original water so it would hopefully not throw it into a cycle and kill the livestock that came with it. Today is day 3 I have had it placed. My best guess on age of the tank is 1 to 2 years (the person I got it from also got it from someone else.) I went to my LFS to get a couple of peppermint shrimp due to the Aiptasia problem. I did make sure they were actually peppermints. The 2 I got are really small so probably will have to get rid of the larger Aiptasia via syringe. (a little off topic, sorry!) Well, I decided that since I was waiting for Amazon to mail my test kit and I did add 7 gals of new water to the tank, I may as well have it tested. Never have I had a store actually charge for water test especially when I was making a purchase! There are other issues that went on as well, but I am not going down that hole. I will just take my business elsewhere from now on.

Readings were as follows:

Calcium- 420

Magnesium- 1170

Alk- 10.9

Nitrates- 20

Temp 76F

I am assuming they were trying to up-sale me because they told me that my Ca was to low and Mag was to low. They were correct with the Mag, but everything I have researched says that Ca of 420 is pretty good! Also, the No3 is to high. Needs to be a lot less for Softies or any corals for that matter. Needless to say, since I didn't know any better my trip for 2 peppermints turned into $70 worth of stuff.

To get to my original question, am I correct with the Ca being good? Also, any suggestions on how to decrease the No3?

Running 29g long, HOB filter rated for 150g tank with filter floss, sm bag of bio rings, and sm bag of charcoal. Lighting is Current Ramp Timer Pro LED 

Tank 062019.jpg

After transfering the tank with livestock in it, the most important test is salinity, temp, and ammonia.

The Ca is fine.

Mag is low which plays with alk and ca being balanced.

Nitrates a tad high, not emergency high. 

Why it's high depends on methods of maintaining reduction of it.

The best method is a 50% waterchange which will get it to 10. 

To keep it maintained at decent levels(u don't want 0), will all play on

- water that's used in the tank(rodi and distilled is best)

- amount of livestock

- foods fed and quantity

- husbandry of the tank and filter

Nitrates overly high may lead to issues but too low can give you issues.

Soft leathers like nutrients, most corals need some nutrients in the tank, some like acropora are known to be sensitive.

Welcome to Nano!

:welcome:

8 hours ago, KimmyB75 said:

sm bag of bio rings

You shouldn't need this additional bio-media.  The live rock should be sufficient.  However, I'd wait a couple of weeks to get rid of it as it might be helping process some ammonia due to the disruption of the move.

Temp 76F

Coral will grow better a bit warmer.  Somewhere in the 78 to 80 range would be good.

am I correct with the Ca being good?

As Clown79 stated, it's good.  Here's a helpful chart:

parameters_chart.jpg

Thank you so much! I will print the chart and tack it to the cover of my notebook I started to keep track of everything. (A bit OCD, but I am starting to get a bit forgetful since being over 40 lol)

Next Question: Should I hold off on adding additional Mag till everything else is in line? Also, how long should I wait before doing a full 50% water change. The water I used to top off from the move was only 7 gal of distilled. I am getting a 7 stage RO/DI system from a close friend who got out of the hobby next week then all I need is to replace the filters. I decided on the distilled because I don't know if I can trust Walmart's RO station since no one knew how frequently the vendor changes out the filters and I didn't have a TDS meter to check it.

Livestock are:

2 Cardinals

1 Clown (I think he may be an Ocellaris since he is pretty much all white)

1 Fire Goby

several small hermits for cleaning

2 Peppermint shrimp (Added yesterday to start controlling the Aiptasia)

1 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Star Polyp

Clown.jpg

Cardinals.jpg

• Like 1

Don't add mag. Do not add anything to bring parameters up until you are stable (could be several weeks). A lot depends on the salt mix you use, and the water you mix it with.  Do your 50% water change, then test params. Depending on your salt mix, your mag will more than likely increase to better levels. Document it all, the params before the water change, the params of your new saltwater mix, the params after the water change.  Your params are fine for now, and you do not have a lot of livestock. Use the next few weeks to get to know your tank. It is important to test and document your salt water mix you use for water changes, that will determine your target params you want to maintain. The goal is stability, you want to avoid any large swings in salinity, temp and alk. 

• Thanks 1