Top Shelf Aquatics

15 Gallon gorgonian biotope?

CD_Scapes

I’m back with a bigger tank! My 10 gallon was getting cleaned out and a crazy storm with 80 mph blew it over. The tank landed on rocks and shattered. So knowing I’m moving in 50 days what do I do? Definitely not waiting to see how much room I have in my dorm. Nope, I got and buy a 15 gallon tank from Petco...adulting is great. For this tank I’m going more for a tidepool type aquascape and stocking method. Livestock will be mainly macroalgea and zoas/palys with a blenny and some gobies. Lots of snails, hermits, a few shrimp and maybe an anemone or two. The plan is to get the dry rock cycled then move it to Bemidji State. I’ll get bags of sand, but I’ll leave them in the bag until I move the tank to college. I just ordered 3 frags of 10 polyp wild zoas from Gulf Ecosystems. I’m going to my LFS tomorrow to get the live rock too

• Like 2

I love phones and their autocorrects. I’m assuming you meant Caribbean and not Caribbeaver. 🙂

NR has some terrific biotopes to mimic and I think you’ll be quite happy with this move. 

Be be sure to check out KP Aquatics and Gulf Coast Ecosystems. They’ll likely be your source for all critters. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TatorTaco said:

I love phones and their autocorrects. I’m assuming you meant Caribbean and not Caribbeaver. 🙂

NR has some terrific biotopes to mimic and I think you’ll be quite happy with this move. 

Be be sure to check out KP Aquatics and Gulf Coast Ecosystems. They’ll likely be your source for all critters. 

Oh I meant caribeaver as it’s a Caribbean biotope but my school mascot are the beavers, lol. So, I thought why not combine them...I don’t know how well it will work but it will stay for now. I’m constantly checking out those two places plus reef cleaners has Florida/Caribbean stuff too. I’m making my list of potential live stock soon!

Well, I’m going to my LFS to see if they can order in some gorgonians for me...hopefully I can get some different speices 

29 minutes ago, ReeferWade said:

Also be aware of the temp requirements, some gorgonians are not shallow water so need a lower temp. 

I just looked at his selection, it looks good. I will have to keep temps in mind too. One of the other LFSs has a whitespotted Pygmy filefish. Maybe that could be a fish for this tank

Well I found a cool thing at my LFS, someone smuggled in some Palythoa heliodiscus and a sponge encrusting zoa from South America