Pod Your Reef

Why is my Xenia closing up?

HunterReliford

HunterReliford

I bought my Xenia yesterday alone with a GSP and the frag next to the Xenia (not sure what it is, they weren’t labeled at the store) and i left a low light on last night but when I woke up one head was closed up and within another hour another had closed, while this happened I work up and my cleaner shrimp was dead this morning laying on the sand. I have had my cleaner shrimp for about 3 days and it has eaten some flakes (I saw it eating) but I never moved from one spot.

EA28D45F-26EE-4E9D-85C0-4E5DDCFDF1FE.jpeg

05EB2750-CD59-43F4-B6A8-9ABB14D36905.jpeg

Edited by HunterReliford
Added photos

Could you post your parameters? 

Also mine tended to close up at lights out and usually took a little while to wake up in the AM (lights on) 

Also if they're a new addition it can take a while for the corals to come to terms with the new environment 

HunterReliford

I get my water tested at the local aquarium store But i am going today I will post them within an hour. What kind of flow do they like or where should I place it in the tank?

A2614038-3535-40CE-91AC-D48D1CA07E29.jpeg

It's normal for new corals to not open fully, they have to acclimate to all different conditions.

Xenia like light and flow. 

As for the shrimp, they can be sensitive to changes or parameter issues. How did you add it to the tank?

1 hour ago, HunterReliford said:

I get my water tested at the local aquarium store But i am going today I will post them within an hour. What kind of flow do they like or where should I place it in the tank?

A2614038-3535-40CE-91AC-D48D1CA07E29.jpeg

I like where you have it in the tank, it is isolated so cant overgrow the rockwork. I'd start worrying if it's still the same day 5 or 7 after adding