Cultivated Reef

Help with new equipment

Treenk

Hi, I’m new to the whole forum thing but after a couple weeks of intense research I’m still struggling, hopefully you can help. 

My first tank was a bio cube like 10-15 years ago it was easy and I really liked it so I found a used one but it has so many upgrades that I’m not fully understanding. 

First off it has a sump (which I’ve never had) it had a tube that went over the top to drain water down to the sump. But it constantly lost prime so water wasn’t making it down to sump. It was also really loud. My wife made me take it apart and move it but it just ended up in the garage. I have a place for it now but I want to “make it better”.

First thing I want to do is drill the back so I don’t have the priming problem, I’ve watched a lot of videos and I think I know what to do I just haven’t been able to decide where to put the holes. If anyone has suggestions on that. 

Second thing the sump does not have the 3 slats to control bubbles I don’t know if that’s necessary. “I’m capable of doing that or making a custom sump” it just has 3 levels each one dropping some. And has a light which I believe means the big one is suppose to be a refugium. All the refugiums I see online have same height on either side I’m wondering how things like shrimp will not just waterfall out of it. I was thinking for 3 chambers first one water goes in and goes through skimmer then water goes into refugium and then goes into last one where water is pumped back into tank. I also have a heater and ultraviolet light thing that water goes through ”which I know very little about” should both of those go into sump as well if so where? 

I have many more questions but it’s hard to explain without adding pictures and I don’t know if I can put it all in one thread. Regarding extra filter in tank, how to make things more quiet. How to control the upgraded light system on it. How the ultraviolet light works. How to make the sump make less noise. If I should use the new upgraded skimmer and the actual one for biocube tank. Also how to clean tank that has been sitting in a garage for 4 years. If I can use the sand that’s been in there the whole time. I’ve researched the hell out of all this but it seems like each of them are relative to the combination of the things I have. 

• Like 1

This is the upgraded skimmer it has”I also have the small biocube one.

05938D6B-28C9-452B-9E27-C3516405070C.png

This is the ultraviolet light thing “I know very little about”

E13EAE13-695C-484F-A2EC-3615283E9694.jpeg

This is the custom light system “not sure what kind of coral it will support”

it it also has two bulkhead fans for circulation a water pump for sump one for skimmer and one that goes in back of the tank to move water into display side. 

Any and all insight would be very helpful. I really hope I’m doing this forum thing right if I’m not tips on that would be good too.

3E50117E-6157-4C59-BA6C-3B650E186F22.jpeg

• Like 1

Are you opposed to running it as an AIO like it was intended? The reason I ask is because your wife does not like noise and you would need to be particular about what type of overflow you added if you want to keep noise down. 

I believe an orbit can handle softies and maybe LPS. I am not sure which orbit this is.

The auto top off goes in the return chamber...either the sump if you add one with the return pump or the last chamber of the biocube if you keep it an AIO. 

The UV kills whatever flows through it if the particles are small enough. It can kill bad stuff but also good stuff too. It has to have the bulb changed regularly. Most people don't use them on nanos and I would suggest you don't bother with it as it is another thing to maintain and it may do nothing useful for you. 

I would just use the KISS method. Keep it simple stupid. A media rack in chamber one (or a sock in the sump)... With floss and a small bag of carbon under it and maybe a skimmer but they are totally optional on these small tanks so if it's noisy or you don't want to deal with it then don't bother. The lights look.more for softies and LPS so again...you want dirtier water. You will kill your corals if the tank ends up too clean...they starve. 

You can add a skimmer at any time you feel the need.

The sand can be reused but it has to be washed thoroughly...like with a hose outside until it runs clear. Many buy new sand because cleaning it well enough can be a real pain.

I have no idea what that second filter is but I wouldn't even bother with it. The fact I have no idea what it is and never needed it means you probably don't either. 

If you check out the TOTM threads... Most are very simple.

Water changes with RODI and weekly maintance will matter the most to the health of your tank.

On 7/4/2019 at 2:58 PM, Treenk said:

Hi, I’m new to the whole forum thing but after a couple weeks of intense research I’m still struggling, hopefully you can help. 

My first tank was a bio cube like 10-15 years ago it was easy and I really liked it so I found a used one but it has so many upgrades that I’m not fully understanding. 

First off it has a sump (which I’ve never had) it had a tube that went over the top to drain water down to the sump. But it constantly lost prime so water wasn’t making it down to sump. It was also really loud. My wife made me take it apart and move it but it just ended up in the garage. I have a place for it now but I want to “make it better”.

First thing I want to do is drill the back so I don’t have the priming problem, I’ve watched a lot of videos and I think I know what to do I just haven’t been able to decide where to put the holes. If anyone has suggestions on that. 

Second thing the sump does not have the 3 slats to control bubbles I don’t know if that’s necessary. “I’m capable of doing that or making a custom sump” it just has 3 levels each one dropping some. And has a light which I believe means the big one is suppose to be a refugium. All the refugiums I see online have same height on either side I’m wondering how things like shrimp will not just waterfall out of it. I was thinking for 3 chambers first one water goes in and goes through skimmer then water goes into refugium and then goes into last one where water is pumped back into tank. I also have a heater and ultraviolet light thing that water goes through ”which I know very little about” should both of those go into sump as well if so where? 

I have many more questions but it’s hard to explain without adding pictures and I don’t know if I can put it all in one thread. Regarding extra filter in tank, how to make things more quiet. How to control the upgraded light system on it. How the ultraviolet light works. How to make the sump make less noise. If I should use the new upgraded skimmer and the actual one for biocube tank. Also how to clean tank that has been sitting in a garage for 4 years. If I can use the sand that’s been in there the whole time. I’ve researched the hell out of all this but it seems like each of them are relative to the combination of the things I have. 

17 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Are you opposed to running it as an AIO like it was intended? The reason I ask is because your wife does not like noise and you would need to be particular about what type of overflow you added if you want to keep noise down. 

I believe an orbit can handle softies and maybe LPS. I am not sure which orbit this is.

The auto top off goes in the return chamber...either the sump if you add one with the return pump or the last chamber of the biocube if you keep it an AIO. 

The UV kills whatever flows through it if the particles are small enough. It can kill bad stuff but also good stuff too. It has to have the bulb changed regularly. Most people don't use them on nanos and I would suggest you don't bother with it as it is another thing to maintain and it may do nothing useful for you. 

I would just use the KISS method. Keep it simple stupid. A media rack in chamber one (or a sock in the sump)... With floss and a small bag of carbon under it and maybe a skimmer but they are totally optional on these small tanks so if it's noisy or you don't want to deal with it then don't bother. The lights look.more for softies and LPS so again...you want dirtier water. You will kill your corals if the tank ends up too clean...they starve. 

You can add a skimmer at any time you feel the need.

The sand can be reused but it has to be washed thoroughly...like with a hose outside until it runs clear. Many buy new sand because cleaning it well enough can be a real pain.

I have no idea what that second filter is but I wouldn't even bother with it. The fact I have no idea what it is and never needed it means you probably don't either. 

If you check out the TOTM threads... Most are very simple.

Water changes with RODI and weekly maintance will matter the most to the health of your tank.

This^.

It will be far easier and less complicated running the tank as intended. The back chambers are a sump.

The uv, not necessary. Keep it if the need for it arises.

The extra filter looks like an internal filter, probably used for added bio media or flow. It's not necessary, another thing to clean, and really bulky. 

I'd replace it with a powerhead.

Its probably easier buying new sand, wash it and done. 

I'd wash the tank with vinegar and water too 

• Like 1

I thought you wanted it as clean as possible and then a refugium to add the natural stuff the corals need + whatever chemicals each specific coral types need.. lol so lost and a lot of the plan for the sump is an extra 10-15 pounds seems like it would be easier to avoid a crash

13 minutes ago, Treenk said:

I thought you wanted it as clean as possible and then a refugium to add the natural stuff the corals need + whatever chemicals each specific coral types need.. lol so lost and a lot of the plan for the sump is an extra 10-15 pounds seems like it would be easier to avoid a crash

What do you mean as clean as possible?

There is definitely an issue with over filtration/media use. Corals need nutrients.

The purpose of an AIO is not needing a sump as the back chambers are a sump 

Skimmers aren't necessary on nano's, not all of us use them.

Refugiums can still be done in an AIO. Not everyone does them though.

Best advice is start reading through TOTM's, member journals, and sticky threads. Theres lots of great info found in other members and their reefs.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Treenk said:

Chasing low nutrients is something of the past. Fuge is optional and personal preference.

Nitrate 2-10 and PO4 0.03-0.08 is where I aim...WWC coral vender aims for Nitrates 10-20ppm. Scandalous! 

You only typically fill a sump half way full so a 10g is only 5g more water. Never seems to matter. Sumps or AIOs....either works fine... It is just a personal preference on how you want to hide equipment. Bigger tanks tend to have big fat pooping tangs and bigger skimmers and smaller water changes so they certainly benefit from sumps but you can't go wrong either way on a nano. Drill if you would like that idea 🙂 you could even just remove the entire false wall for more space in the display tank and drill and put a overflow box in.

• Like 1