inTank Media Baskets

Way to disperse flow in 20g nano reef

saltyandspooky

saltyandspooky

So I have an Innovative Marine 20 gal peninsula AIO tank. Comes with a Mighty Jet 326 return pump. I have frogspawn coral and no matter where I aim the nozzle they are getting too much flow. I have it set on the lowest flow possible and the frogspawn are still getting whipped about. Is there a different nozzle I can get to disperse the flow so its not as aggressive? these frogspawn are basically half my tank and I really want them to thrive. 

saltyandspooky
5 minutes ago, TheKingInYellow said:

VCA Random Flow Generator would be good.

That looks good, Im a total noob regarding parts though. I see it uses Loc Line but I am unsure what different parts to buy to attach to my pump.

saltyandspooky
2 minutes ago, 5*Chris said:

You'll need the adapter for your Nuvo 20 as well as the RFG. 19mm to 1/2" loc line I believe it is.

Thanks so much! I will order those!

• Like 1
saltyandspooky
On 7/4/2019 at 10:22 PM, Clown79 said:

I use the mighty jet with the rfg nozzles. It works well. 

I have the mighty jet on wavemaker.

Thanks! I will try that!

saltyandspooky

So the water flow is still too harsh even with the RFG! Now the frogspawn is still getting whipped around but in many directions instead of one haha. If I get the “Y piece” can I hook that to my adapter and then put 2 RFG on each side of the Y piece? That may help dilute it even more but want some opinions. Thanks so much!

4 hours ago, Cam_bo said:

So the water flow is still too harsh even with the RFG! Now the frogspawn is still getting whipped around but in many directions instead of one haha. If I get the “Y piece” can I hook that to my adapter and then put 2 RFG on each side of the Y piece? That may help dilute it even more but want some opinions. Thanks so much!

What do you mean by whipped around?

You may have to play with the direction the nozzle aims at, or wave mode vs reg mode, even how high you run it.

I have a Nuvo 20. With a Sicce 1.5 pump at full power and a SW-2 wavemaker. Try to set it on pulse mode and play around with settings.

• Like 1
saltyandspooky
5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

What do you mean by whipped around?

You may have to play with the direction the nozzle aims at, or wave mode vs reg mode, even how high you run it.

I mean that the tentacles are being blown too much, and they’re retracting because of it. I’ve tried both modes and the nozzle pointed every which way lol. It’s a bit frustrating but the frogspawn frags are small and easily blown around. I’ll keep trying though, not sure why it’s so difficult to find a sweet spot.

saltyandspooky
4 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Have you tried changing the gph level

Yes I have. It’s on the lowest setting. I’ll keep tampering with it more when lights come on but not sure there’s a good enough position haha

• 2 years later...
less than bread

I’m sure you tried this but I found good results aiming the flow up at the surface. This helps with not only getting good agitation but it seems to disperse the flow nicely as it hits the surface and returns back down to the tank.

The other two things I might try if everything else fails is to redo the aqua scape to disperse the flow differently or see if I could jerry rig something in front of the nozzle to break up the flow