Coral Vue Hydros

Hello everyone. New to the forum. Not new to aquarium hobby.

AlexM808

What’s up everyone. New here. Just got into salt water a couple of months ago but have enjoyed freshwater tanks for a couple years. Was always into the pico/nano tank and recently decided to start a small reef. 

Right now I have a 2.5 set up nicely and am configuring a 40 breeder very soon. 

This 2.5 has been going for almost 2 months now.  Very steady and healthy. No swings what so ever. Small water changes every other day and a few pellets for the clones. Love this little tank. 

Fully aware that this is small for clowns but they’re not stressing at all and will be here until the 40g is up. 

8A920BAF-9F38-43D0-A24E-60CA6230E100.jpeg

557416D3-112C-4A65-86DE-6EEAB2E2F1DF.jpeg

F893EB64-24DB-4758-A164-AA9E6EAB8935.jpeg

335A46AA-5968-4FD7-925B-50AD5AE04A7B.jpeg

• Like 3

Welcome to NR! Nice care routine - it shows! I don't think that the 2.5 is too small for those clowns right now or very soon - but maybe the anemone though haha. I'm looking forward to see what you can do in a bigger setup seeing this pico as your first SW setup  :]

What light are you using for the pico? Do you have your 40G already?

8 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Welcome to Nano.

That's a really cute set up. 

Do you plan on keeping the 2.5g going or just the 40?

I plan on keeping the 2.5g when the 40 is up. It’s such a cool little tank. I’d like to keep it going for as a long as possible. 

2 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Welcome to NR! Nice care routine - it shows! I don't think that the 2.5 is too small for those clowns right now or very soon - but maybe the anemone though haha. I'm look forward to see what you can do in a bigger setup seeing this pico as your first SW setup  :]

What light are you using for the pico? Do you have your 40G already?

I’m using the Fluval Sea nano. Adequate spectrum and good adjustability. Can’t complain at all and yes I have the 40g. Bought it for a sweet deal with a large canister filter. Trying to figure out an over flow set up for at the moment and haven’t decided on a light yet. Once it’s cycled and corals added though the clowns and anemone will live there and 2.5 will be let to grow with just corals. Might add a shrimp. 

• Like 1
debbeach13

Welcome to NR! That pico is a nice little tank. I am not sure what you have in mind for the canister filter. Most people find it much easier to use a hang on the back power filter because it is so easy to change out the filter floss compared to a canister. This helps keep your nitrates lower. But some people also use no filter at all and make a little larger more frequent WC. There are so many different ways to do things for our tanks. High tech, low tech, or most of us are some where in between. After the 40 is up and running the pico can be a QT tank or for that special little pest hitchhiker that needs to be alone. Have fun.

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Welcome to NR! That pico is a nice little tank. I am not sure what you have in mind for the canister filter. Most people find it much easier to use a hang on the back power filter because it is so easy to change out the filter floss compared to a canister. This helps keep your nitrates lower. But some people also use no filter at all and make a little larger more frequent WC. There are so many different ways to do things for our tanks. High tech, low tech, or most of us are some where in between. After the 40 is up and running the pico can be a QT tank or for that special little pest hitchhiker that needs to be alone. Have fun.

I think the goal with the canister is just for the sheer amount of flow it can make. With JUST filter media like matrix or lava rock it will do fine for bacteria I guess but I’m not set in stone on it just yet. It came with the 40g so I’m justifying a use for it. Otherwise I’ll sell it and put that money towards a quality light. 

The 2.5 is coming along so nicely. I don’t want to take it down ever. Would love to see it totally engulfed by coral. 

95786063-04EE-4360-B316-8B17F3C7CB7F.jpeg

• Like 3
21 minutes ago, AlexM808 said:

I think the goal with the canister is just for the sheer amount of flow it can make. With JUST filter media like matrix or lava rock it will do fine for bacteria I guess but I’m not set in stone on it just yet. It came with the 40g so I’m justifying a use for it. Otherwise I’ll sell it and put that money towards a quality light. 

The 2.5 is coming along so nicely. I don’t want to take it down ever. Would love to see it totally engulfed by coral. 

95786063-04EE-4360-B316-8B17F3C7CB7F.jpeg

Why do you plan on using lava rock? Or do you mean liverock?

From previous research, lava rock can leach heavy metals into the tank

• Like 1