Top Shelf Aquatics

Skimmer yes or no

Madmin

Ok I've got a juwel vision 450L tank just cycled with saltwater setup using the internal XL filter with upgraded 1500 lph pump also using the aqua one ocellaris uvc 1400 lph external pump which has a uv light inside so I have 2900 lph filteration! That's well over 6 times an hour Do I also need a skimmer. Currently got some snails and hermit crabs in no fish yet

6 minutes ago, Madmin said:

Ok I've got a juwel vision 450L tank just cycled with saltwater setup using the internal XL filter with upgraded 1500 lph pump also using the aqua one ocellaris uvc 1400 lph external pump which has a uv light inside so I have 2900 lph filteration! That's well over 6 times an hour Do I also need a skimmer. Currently got some snails and hermit crabs in no fish yet

Nope. Not really needed on Nanos or any tank rather. Adequate water changes with responsible bioload is all you need!

Many on here run filterless! UV will help with algae control but I am not aware of its long term affects on nano reefs. 

• Like 2

Skimmer is not necessary but can be beneficial for certain systems. 

I haven't used 1 on my tanks and I struggled to keep my nutrients high enough for the tanks needs, with a skimmer I would have had even more issues. So there are pros and cons to them.

Most don't run uv regularly as it can kill off beneficial bacteria as well.

FlytheWMark

In short... it depends.  I started out with no skimmer on both of mine then added them because I was having nitrate issues (some of that is my fault).   I feed heavily and really only wanted to do water changes every 2 weeks (vs 1 week which many on here recommend).  The skimmer allows me to do that.  So, I'd start out without one, see how your tank goes and if you need the additional help that a skimmer can provide, add it later.