Cultivated Reef

What lights are on your picos? Cheaper the better.

Kai

Hi everyone, 
I'm going to be setting up some picos with some things out of my 75g and I want to know what sort of lighting to use. My 75g just has two visparspectra black box lights, so I'm far from AI Prime territory. I've seen in the club pico thread that some people just seem to have regular LEDs but the majority of that thread is over ten years old so what are the modern options without spending a ton of money? How do the requirements change with a pico tank anyway, a lot of set ups I see seem to have pretty normal lights on them. 

Depends on size. I ran an ai prime on my 5.5g but had to run it fairly low as I fried a few corals. 

I have also used an Abi tuna blue par 38 - always get great growth and colouration with it.

Now using the asta 20 on my 2.5g. Nice light but still prefer the par38. 

32 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Depends on size. I ran an ai prime on my 5.5g but had to run it fairly low as I fried a few corals. 

I have also used an Abi tuna blue par 38 - always get great growth and colouration with it.

Now using the asta 20 on my 2.5g. Nice light but still prefer the par38. 

I'm planning to try out a 3g tetra half moon looking one, a 1.5g cube, and a 1g jar. Might see what small tanks petco has when I stop by later but that's the general idea.

I'm using the Aquamaxx Prism.  I have it turned down quite a bit and I've gotten noticeable growth on my SPS that have been in the tank for just a month.  

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Kai said:

Hi everyone, 
I'm going to be setting up some picos with some things out of my 75g and I want to know what sort of lighting to use. My 75g just has two visparspectra black box lights, so I'm far from AI Prime territory. I've seen in the club pico thread that some people just seem to have regular LEDs but the majority of that thread is over ten years old so what are the modern options without spending a ton of money? How do the requirements change with a pico tank anyway, a lot of set ups I see seem to have pretty normal lights on them. 

I started with a budget option (Nicrew LED - Cost about £15-20) I got no growth from my corals and the lights themselves made the tank look dim. I then went with the Asta 20 LED (£45) as recommended by others on here @Clown79, @MetaTank and @kimdawg (sorry anyone else I forgot). It is a nice light and can adjust it as needed (once you figure out the controller lol)

• Like 2

Depending on the size,you can do a ABI Tuna Blue par bulb,CC par bulb,diy led light ( this would be my route,I LOVE diy lights),Aquamaxx lights. There are TONS of options its just whatever your budget is. If you want to do a DIY light,let me know I can get you started. 

• Like 1