ReefCleaners.org

Rusting Inkbird?

NaturallyKait

NaturallyKait

I ordered an inkbird 308s (with the replaceable probe) mid May for my tank. Today during maintenance I pulled it out and it has a patch of what looks like rust to me?

E11F1A4D-2896-47A8-A50F-291FACA8D0E6.thumb.jpeg.59aee6c6499ebc7690df4d3567199cd7.jpeg

17D872B1-4855-402E-AED8-177B7A57DCCD.thumb.jpeg.f17a1fad7a71ff9167b0426b1daf7d6c.jpeg

Has as anyone had issues with rust on their inkbirds? I knew it was possible, but this probe is less than 2 months old and I certainly wasn’t expecting it to happen this quickly. If it’s not rust what else could it be? 

I have the itc 308. The probe is much smaller. I coated it with silicone, some has been removed over time but no rust after a year.

Their customer service is really good, I'd contact them.

• Like 1
NaturallyKait
1 minute ago, Clown79 said:

I have the itc 308. The probe is much smaller. I coated it with silicone, some has been removed over time but no rust after a year.

Their customer service is really good, I'd contact them.

Yeah the short probe version was out of stock when I ordered and I planned just replace the probe with the shorter one later on but I’ve been spending my tank money on other things first since I didn’t see it as an emergent issue. I’m going to contact them, I’m just really disappointed that it lasted less than 2 months and now I’m worried this will happen over and over. I may have to silicone the replacement. 

timeconsumer
1 hour ago, NaturallyKait said:

Yeah the short probe version was out of stock when I ordered and I planned just replace the probe with the shorter one later on but I’ve been spending my tank money on other things first since I didn’t see it as an emergent issue. I’m going to contact them, I’m just really disappointed that it lasted less than 2 months and now I’m worried this will happen over and over. I may have to silicone the replacement. 

It's a different brand of controller but on my Ranco temp probe they offered a heatshrink option for it specifically for aquarium applications. You can look into heatshrink as an option if you end up replacing that probe.

• Like 1

I didnt have any rust but did have mine fail after a year.. turned my heater off and tank got cold for a week. No losses but tank ran around 70F. I know a few other members here have had the same issue recently...  personally I wouldnt go with another inkbird again.. sucks bc I loved the display and they are reasonably priced..

NaturallyKait
22 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

I didnt have any rust but did have mine fail after a year.. turned my heater off and tank got cold for a week. No losses but tank ran around 70F. I know a few other members here have had the same issue recently...  personally I wouldnt go with another inkbird again.. sucks bc I loved the display and they are reasonably priced..

Yeah the price is why I bought it. Franky a $600+ apex just isn’t affordable and with the apex jr discontinued there’s just not a lot of options. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, NaturallyKait said:

Yeah the price is why I bought it. Franky a $600+ apex just isn’t affordable and with the apex jr discontinued there’s just not a lot of options. 

Aggred.. man I cant think of the names of the controllers I think finnex makes one and there was another temp controller that was recommended  by @StinkyBunny.. 

I picked up a used apex for 250 2 weeks ago after mine failed😊

NaturallyKait
7 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Aggred.. man I cant think of the names of the controllers I think finnex makes one and there was another temp controller that was recommended  by @StinkyBunny.. 

I picked up a used apex for 250 2 weeks ago after mine failed😊

Unfortunately the used equipment market doesn’t seem to be as great in Canada. Shipping here is expensive and there’s not much of a reefing community locally where I am. It’s a real shame. I’ve had my eye on the new Felix Smart controller that’s supposed to be released in September as a possibility but that’s a few months off obviously. 

5 minutes ago, NaturallyKait said:

Unfortunately the used equipment market doesn’t seem to be as great in Canada. Shipping here is expensive and there’s not much of a reefing community locally where I am. It’s a real shame. I’ve had my eye on the new Felix Smart controller that’s supposed to be released in September as a possibility but that’s a few months off obviously. 

Ahhhh Canadian ehh... that sucks jk jk🤣😂🤣... yea I've seen clown talking about how it's harder to get some stuff up there.. kinda weird I would think it would be exactly the same as here in the states🤷‍♂️

NaturallyKait
1 minute ago, FISHnChix said:

Ahhhh Canadian ehh... that sucks jk jk🤣😂🤣... yea I've seen clown talking about how it's harder to get some stuff up there.. kinda weird I would think it would be exactly the same as here in the states🤷‍♂️

We’re a small market and the exchange makes everything more expensive here so it just makes it harder to afford. Not to mention some things like meds are just plain illegal to be sold in pet stores now. It’s a headache. 

• Sad 1
timeconsumer
3 hours ago, NaturallyKait said:

If you're looking to replace the Inkbird entirely try a Ranco ETC. http://www.rancoetc.com/ranco-etc-111000-000-prewired-digital-temperature-controller

It's a little more expensive and it's pretty big and ugly and the relay is a little loud. But this is a piece of commercial equipment meant to operate heavy duty air conditioners and such so it's built to last.

• Like 1
NaturallyKait
7 hours ago, timeconsumer said:

If you're looking to replace the Inkbird entirely try a Ranco ETC. http://www.rancoetc.com/ranco-etc-111000-000-prewired-digital-temperature-controller

It's a little more expensive and it's pretty big and ugly and the relay is a little loud. But this is a piece of commercial equipment meant to operate heavy duty air conditioners and such so it's built to last.

Unfortunately big and loud isn’t going to fly. The tank is in the living room and my spouse already thought the inkbird was an eyesore. Plus loud isn’t a good idea. None of us handle loud background noise well. 

NaturallyKait
16 minutes ago, Wingy said:

The Inkbird 308S I just bought said it was for saltwater and has a coated replaceable probe.

Interesting, I haven’t seen a coated probe. Mine definitely wasn’t. I’m waiting for a response from their customer service now, we’ll see what they say. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, NaturallyKait said:

Interesting, I haven’t seen a coated probe. Mine definitely wasn’t. I’m waiting for a response from their customer service now, we’ll see what they say. 

https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Temperature-Controller-Freshwater-Ornamental/dp/B07R195CQF/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3C4CO47KLIJ83&keywords=inkbird+308s&qid=1562195849&s=gateway&sprefix=inkbird+308%2Caps%2C177&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

• Like 1
NaturallyKait
20 minutes ago, Wingy said:

Interesting, I don’t see it on the Canadian amazon but I do see the replacement probes. I’ll see what inkbird says first but this may be what I should do for replacement. Thanks! 

On 7/3/2019 at 3:42 PM, Wingy said:

The Inkbird 308S I just bought said it was for saltwater and has a coated replaceable probe.

Yup, that's the new model

On 7/3/2019 at 7:41 PM, NaturallyKait said:

Interesting, I don’t see it on the Canadian amazon but I do see the replacement probes. I’ll see what inkbird says first but this may be what I should do for replacement. Thanks! 

They have a rep on the ontario reef keepers on FB, they definitely sell a model with a coated probe here

NaturallyKait
Just now, Clown79 said:

They have a rep on the ontario reef keepers on FB, they definitely sell a model with a coated probe here

I actually just heard back from them this morning and they’re going to replace it with that probe for me. It is on amazon now, it must have either been out of stock when I ordered mine or maybe it hadn’t been added to the Canadian store yet. Either way I’ll have the saltwater probe soon. 

• Like 2