Top Shelf Aquatics

Pico Tank for work?!?!?

Falcon789

Hey Guys.

I am planning for an AIO Pico Reef tank at my workplace. Has to be 4 gallons or less. I dont think my cubicle desk could hold more then that. I wanted some advice before I start. First of all I am planning a softies with one fish. Either a goby or a damsel. Something hardy. I haven't decided on whether I would use substrate or not. Maybe I want the extra surface are for bacteria to adhere to, but cleaning substrate at work wouldn't be ideal. I am keeping it simple. I am planning on a good light to sustain softies, filter floss, heater, and activated carbon. Below are the reasons listed as why maybe I am on the edge about whether I should actually go through with it.

1. Quietness- I work in a cubicle that's pretty decent in size. I have coworkers sitting next to me. I am considering whichever all in one I get, upgrading to the quietest pump. (The reason I chose all in one is so I don't hear the water from a hang on back filtration). Even though I would find it soothing you can only imagine what other people might think) You think people will complaining even with the noise a pump would make?

2. Sustainable?- I have to do weekly maintenance. I cant imagine bringing saltwater jugs here and doing a whole cleaning. How would I go about doing that? Is this practical? I am definitely up for it. I just don't know how I would go about doing it. Should I mix at home and just bring it here? What if I forget? I dont want anything dying on me. I take fish and corals very seriously and their lives are in my hands!

3. Top Off?- Can I rig an ATO here? I cant have an ATO reservoir that's noticeable. I can't imagine topping off all the time. That's why I definitely need a hood. Less evaporation the better.

4. Weekend problems?- I wont be here on the weekends or if I call out sick. I can probably ask someone to feed my fish during the week but wut about the weekend? The auto feeders are huge and I cant imagine adding one to a pico tank. I would need it to add a minute amount. Will the tank be okay without someone not watching it during the weekend?

What are the best recommendations for an all in one pico thats not rimless and has a top.? I will be following up with my safety dept to see if its plausible and whether if its allowed. I'm excited just thinking about it. Thanks in advance for the insight.

I think the biggest challenge with a hood and going that small is the lights in anything pre-built that small will probably need to be changed/upgraded and require some DIY. They do make a hooded reef tank that can keep softies but it is around 13 gallons (Fluval Sea Evo 13.5g). 

If you own some power tools I would recommend building your own canopy for a small cube pico. 

Most fish will be fine not being fed over the weekend. 

With the right pumps the tank should be silent or near silent. This is where you want to pay attention to lighting, since you only want softies, less powerful light with a bigger heat sink and NO fan is important. 

You don't need sand in a pico/nano, bare bottom is fine and will be easier. You just want good enough flow to keep debris suspended and into the filter area. 

I would just mix at home and bring it with me. 

good point. I am not a great DIY. I was hoping to buy this already made. Maybe if there is a pico with a glass top, that would suffice I think.

17 hours ago, Falcon789 said:

Hey Guys.

I am planning for an AIO Pico Reef tank at my workplace. Has to be 4 gallons or less. I dont think my cubicle desk could hold more then that. I wanted some advice before I start. First of all I am planning a softies with one fish. Either a goby or a damsel. Something hardy. I haven't decided on whether I would use substrate or not. Maybe I want the extra surface are for bacteria to adhere to, but cleaning substrate at work wouldn't be ideal. I am keeping it simple. I am planning on a good light to sustain softies, filter floss, heater, and activated carbon. Below are the reasons listed as why maybe I am on the edge about whether I should actually go through with it.

1. Quietness- I work in a cubicle that's pretty decent in size. I have coworkers sitting next to me. I am considering whichever all in one I get, upgrading to the quietest pump. (The reason I chose all in one is so I don't hear the water from a hang on back filtration). Even though I would find it soothing you can only imagine what other people might think) You think people will complaining even with the noise a pump would make?

2. Sustainable?- I have to do weekly maintenance. I cant imagine bringing saltwater jugs here and doing a whole cleaning. How would I go about doing that? Is this practical? I am definitely up for it. I just don't know how I would go about doing it. Should I mix at home and just bring it here? What if I forget? I dont want anything dying on me. I take fish and corals very seriously and their lives are in my hands!

3. Top Off?- Can I rig an ATO here? I cant have an ATO reservoir that's noticeable. I can't imagine topping off all the time. That's why I definitely need a hood. Less evaporation the better.

4. Weekend problems?- I wont be here on the weekends or if I call out sick. I can probably ask someone to feed my fish during the week but wut about the weekend? The auto feeders are huge and I cant imagine adding one to a pico tank. I would need it to add a minute amount. Will the tank be okay without someone not watching it during the weekend?

What are the best recommendations for an all in one pico thats not rimless and has a top.? I will be following up with my safety dept to see if its plausible and whether if its allowed. I'm excited just thinking about it. Thanks in advance for the insight.

I currently have 2.5G Pico, 5.5G Cube and 10G windowsill tanks at my work. 

1. I actually find that the HOB filters (as much as I dislike them) are pretty silent. Keep the water levels higher if the trickle annoys people. Alternatively you could run a pump and airstone for water movement. 

2. I store 5G RODI and 5G SW mix in containers under my desk. WC I dump old water into a bucket. Rinse anything i need during this time (coral dips etc) fill up the tank and flush the water. 

3. I top off twice a week currently. It's about a single cup. You can hook up an ATO to do this for you.

4. I regularly leave mine up to 4 days without feeding, I plan to fully stock with pods prior to this years 10 day Christmas break and hope for the best

I have a 64 ounce glass jar with Opae Ula on my desk at work.  It is a jar with a gasketed lid, some substrate and 3 pieces of lava rock.  No filter, no light, no heater and no air stone.  They mostly eat algae though once a week I toss in a tiny shrimp pellet or two.  I take the lid off of the jar for an hour or two every week day but keep the lid on over the weekend.  They cruise around all day going about their shrimpy business or doing laps.  It is quite comical with 5 are cruising one way but 1 is going the other way and they all come to a screeching halt when they meet.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

I currently have 2.5G Pico, 5.5G Cube and 10G windowsill tanks at my work. 

1. I actually find that the HOB filters (as much as I dislike them) are pretty silent. Keep the water levels higher if the trickle annoys people. Alternatively you could run a pump and airstone for water movement. 

2. I store 5G RODI and 5G SW mix in containers under my desk. WC I dump old water into a bucket. Rinse anything i need during this time (coral dips etc) fill up the tank and flush the water. 

3. I top off twice a week currently. It's about a single cup. You can hook up an ATO to do this for you.

4. I regularly leave mine up to 4 days without feeding, I plan to fully stock with pods prior to this years 10 day Christmas break and hope for the best

Could I see your 2.5 gal and equipment you use? I figured it might be ok to not feed for 2 days.

1 hour ago, Wingy said:

I have a 64 ounce glass jar with Opae Ula on my desk at work.  It is a jar with a gasketed lid, some substrate and 3 pieces of lava rock.  No filter, no light, no heater and no air stone.  They mostly eat algae though once a week I toss in a tiny shrimp pellet or two.  I take the lid off of the jar for an hour or two every week day but keep the lid on over the weekend.  They cruise around all day going about their shrimpy business or doing laps.  It is quite comical with 5 are cruising one way but 1 is going the other way and they all come to a screeching halt when they meet.

Wow a jar. Thats hardcore!

19 minutes ago, Falcon789 said:

Could I see your 2.5 gal and equipment you use? I figured it might be ok to not feed for 2 days.

Build thread is here. I've had a very steep learning curve with it being my 1st SW set up

2 hours ago, Falcon789 said:

It is very simple.  They require very little care.  They mostly eat the algae that grows on the rock and glass.  I can hook you up with a website if your interested.  

• Like 1