SaltCritters.com

Light schedule for sbreef led?

DOJOLOACH

One thing I'm still unsure about is the photoperiod length of my light cycle. I am having a bit of nitrate issues

Moon uv 13 hours

Blue at 65percent 11 hours

White at 20 percent 10 hours

I know lighting is only one factor but o have mostly addresses other issues with no success

• 2 weeks later...

I have to clean the glass daily of algea, brown algae, looks kinda like diatoms and a decent amount on my rocks...

Nitrates are like 2-5ppm, phosphate at .03. not running gfo or carbon.

Seems like a lot of algea growth if I'm cleaning glass daily

20190715_211918.jpg

On 7/15/2019 at 9:17 PM, DOJOLOACH said:

Nitrates are like 2-5ppm, phosphate at .03.

Sounds about right, bordering on too-low maybe.

How old is the tank and what is living in it so far?  

What are you feeding the tank and how often?

On 7/18/2019 at 2:07 AM, mcarroll said:

Sounds about right, bordering on too-low maybe.

How old is the tank and what is living in it so far?  

What are you feeding the tank and how often?

The tank is 6 months old, has 2 juvi clowns, 1 smaller Valentino puffer, yellow goby and shrimp (both adults).

Soft leather coral trees, zoa's, acans, and a spa montipora encrusting. 

You just have a new tank loaded with livestock.  The uglies (various algae blooms that new tanks all go through) hit harder the bigger the load of livestock is.

I don't know about the rest of your setup, but maybe consider cutting back the lights a little bit until the tank matures?

Also make sure you have a good cleanup crew.  If they aren't eating the algae then it's up to you to clean!  🙂 

Too much work for you means you probably could use some more snail-help.  Turbo, trochus, cerith, astrea, nerites...

• Like 1
18 hours ago, mcarroll said:

You just have a new tank loaded with livestock.  The uglies (various algae blooms that new tanks all go through) hit harder the bigger the load of livestock is.

I don't know about the rest of your setup, but maybe consider cutting back the lights a little bit until the tank matures?

Also make sure you have a good cleanup crew.  If they aren't eating the algae then it's up to you to clean!  🙂 

Too much work for you means you probably could use some more snail-help.  Turbo, trochus, cerith, astrea, nerites...

I appreciate your advice and you've helped me address a nitrate phosphate issue in another thread successfully. Would 2-3 snails work for each type of unwanted algae? I.e. get turbos if they like green algae, and emerald crabs if they like green bubble?

When I bought a cuc online from the beginning they all died off and when I stopped running gfo... Things went crazy!!! But stabilized

1563836886943872903716.jpg

• Like 1

If algae growth is very heavy then up to two snails per gallon.

If it is not that heavy then one or less than one snail per gallon.

Don't forget that you should probably be doing the lions share of the catch-up work of removing masses of algae if any exist right now. So keep that in mind and don't overstock snails. Do try to shoot for the guideline though so you have plenty of help keeping the tank clean.   same idea for the specialty algae — Emerald crabs are a good idea, but if there's a lot you should be (carefully) removing most of it, so don't overbuy.