inTank Media Baskets

Frogspawn polyp bailout

b_roddd720

b_roddd720

Hello, my green Frogspawn seems to be having polyp bailout which is weird because it is in a low flow area, it wasn't happy in a high flow. It is currently with the other Frogspawn on the sand bed. The tentacles are swaying in a low to mid flow. Please help

IMG_20190701_140648.jpg

IMG_20190701_140648.jpg

First thing I would do is move the hammer a bit farther away. While they can get along most of the time, they can still irritate each other. 

• Like 1
b_roddd720

Will do, it was having polyp bailout long before I purchased the hammer. It started off as a bubbly in it's mouth and slowly progressed over time. I got happy thinking it was splitting

.1 pm nitrates is basically zero.

Not the worst thing since po4 is in the +, but how is your filtration/media set up?

b_roddd720

Right now I'm running rubble rock for bio filtration, then it goes into a reactor with Seachem Phosban, and Carbon, then a Bubble Magis curve 5 with wet skimming. The skimmate is a dark green. Running two Jebao SW8 wavemakers but I turned one off as it was too much flow

41 minutes ago, b_roddd720 said:

Right now I'm running rubble rock for bio filtration, then it goes into a reactor with Seachem Phosban, and Carbon, then a Bubble Magis curve 5 with wet skimming. The skimmate is a dark green. Running two Jebao SW8 wavemakers but I turned one off as it was too much flow

Oh my.... why so much filtration? 

I know your thread says your toadstool isn't growing, too clean of water could be the cause.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
mitten_reef

Don’t see any bailout. People sometimes mistaken torn flesh as bailout. I interpreted “polyp” bailout as the whole crown comes off of skeleton, which I’m not seeing in photo. 

• Like 1
b_roddd720
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

I know your thread says your toadstool isn't growing, too clean of water could be the cause.

I thought I was understocked on filtration haha. What do you recommend I do? I have LPS and Montis in the tank as well

1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

Don’t see any bailout. People sometimes mistaken torn flesh as bailout. I interpreted “polyp” bailout as the whole crown comes off of skeleton, which I’m not seeing in photo. 

If it's torn flesh would it be from too high of water flow?

b_roddd720
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

I also feed the tank about once a day or once every other day. I feed corals every 3 to 4 days

39 minutes ago, b_roddd720 said:

I thought I was understocked on filtration haha. What do you recommend I do? I have LPS and Montis in the tank as well

I only use a skimmer and floss, a tiny bit of carbon in case there are pollutants in the air or on my hands and I run the carbon passive, not in a reactor. I try to skim dry as too not remove too much. 

The thing is if you are growing enough coral, they will eat up your PO4 and Nitrate. If they don't have enough nutrients available, this will ofc limit growth. Other things effect it like lighting/flow/alk/ca/mg, trace elements, etc. 

Think of it instead of growing algae... you are growing fields of coral 🙂

When I turned up my light on my SPS tank over the past month, growth skyrocketed (was only running it peak for 2 hours before). This brought my Nitrate from 5-10 back to 0....now I am dosing Nitrate again :rolleyes: I am sure a dino threat is looming. 

I would also look up the Redfield Ratio. Lets say, if you run out of Nitrate, your coral/algae/bacteria... whatever... is now Nitrate limited and can no longer drop your PO4. Different organisms will use it in a different ratio. 

Warning: bringing Nitrate up can cause your PO4 to plummet so you need to watch this closely. 

• Wow 1
mitten_reef
37 minutes ago, b_roddd720 said:

Possibly, or other type of physical trauma. I had clownfish that was nipping at euphyllia before. Or sometimes they try to host and rub on the coral to hard. Idk though as I never had the actual bail out happened to me personally, maybe a picture of what you think is the bailed-out portion?

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I would also look up the Redfield Ratio. Lets say, if you run out of Nitrate, your coral/algae/bacteria... whatever... is now Nitrate limited and can no longer drop your PO4. Different organisms will use it in a different ratio. 

I bet the OP would like the combination of some Redfield Ratio action (usage and storage of nutrients) along with some action from Liebig's law of the minimum (which is the one that talks about nutrient limits).  Redfield gets more attention than deserved and poor Liebig usually gets none.  :slap:

:biggrin:

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mcarroll said:

I bet the OP would like the combination of some Redfield Ratio action (usage and storage of nutrients) along with some action from Liebig's law of the minimum (which is the one that talks about nutrient limits).  Redfield gets more attention than deserved and poor Liebig usually gets none.  :slap:

:biggrin:

That is because Redfield Ratio has a nice ring to it. He should have just kept it as "Liebig's Law"

• Haha 2
b_roddd720
6 hours ago, mcarroll said:

That's odd for wet skimmng.  What are you feeding?

I do Omega One pellets for fish, but switching over to mysis. I feed the corals Roids