Cultivated Reef

Why I will always run a refugium in all my tanks

ninjamyst

4 hours ago, jbb_00 said:

Not a nano since I'm at ~75g total volume but I will never go without one. It seems all of my tank issues have been on tanks that didn't run a refugium. No dosing of refugium products and I do 25g change every 2 weeks 

20190704_152626.jpg

Looks like a dead rat floating on top there.  Hahahah.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Wow 2
On 7/11/2019 at 3:27 PM, mcarroll said:

A couple of drips of garlic juice or just a fish feeding will prolly have a similar effect - but you definitely have to do something for your sun corals until they get acustomed to feeding time. 

Some prolly never do get accustomed....I've never seen anyone have REALLY great success with that coral to be honest.  Neither black nor red types.

That was the only way I got any of them to eat anything, but it still didn't seem sufficient for them to thrive.  I had some gorgonians in the same system sometimes and I'd "blast feed" the whole tank almost daily for them....didn't seem to help any of the sun corals tho.

Once they have their polyps out do you hand feed them?

Might be a little off-topic, but if you've had better luck then I'm curious!  🙂

How much did you feed your suns and how often?

FYI This is my black one. It looks to be doing well. It probably eats one to two cubes of mysis per day depending if I get around to doing two feedings or not.

IMG_20190713_034608

• Like 1