ReefCleaners.org

Dpoltsdsu's Peninsula Nano Reef

dpoltsdsu

Hello everyone!! I'm back after a couple of months hiatus after moving and acquiring a new job.

For my next nano reef, I setting up a 20 gallon peninsula reef tank. For every reef tank I setup, I like to have a unique style to the tank. My last tank was a larger nano reef that was dominated by soft coral.

For this reef, I am going to focus a bit more on SPS corals. Over the last month I have been tinkering with the aquascape and finally have a look that I really like. I used some KP Aquatics rock from my old setup so there was no cycle and the tank will hopefully be off to a good start with some mature rock. I have a beautiful and unique colony of Montipora Spongodes that I wanted to be the focus of the tank and I really like where I was able to place it. 

Here is the equipment list so far:

Lighting: SB Reef 16 inch LED fixture

Water Flow: Vortech Mp10 at 100% 

Heater: Jager

ATO: Tunze Osmolator 

Dosing: B-Ionic 2 part

Filtration: Carbon/GFO and Purigen

Here is the tank so far: 

15619316379896667799845044452115.jpg

• Like 5
43 minutes ago, dpoltsdsu said:

Hello everyone!! I'm back after a couple of months hiatus after moving and acquiring a new job.

For my next nano reef, I setting up a 20 gallon peninsula reef tank. For every reef tank I setup, I like to have a unique style to the tank. My last tank was a larger nano reef that was dominated by soft coral.

For this reef, I am going to focus a bit more on SPS corals. Over the last month I have been tinkering with the aquascape and finally have a look that I really like. I used some KP Aquatics rock from my old setup so there was no cycle and the tank will hopefully be off to a good start with some mature rock. I have a beautiful and unique colony of Montipora Spongodes that I wanted to be the focus of the tank and I really like where I was able to place it. 

Here is the equipment list so far:

Lighting: SB Reef 16 inch LED fixture

Water Flow: Vortech Mp10 at 100% 

Heater: Jager

ATO: Tunze Osmolator 

Dosing: B-Ionic 2 part

Filtration: Carbon/GFO and Purigen

Here is the tank so far: 

15619316379896667799845044452115.jpg

I like the scape  😊

• Thanks 1

Thanks!!

Fish selection so far is my rescue clownfish half-stripe who I've had for years and a small 6 line wrasse.

Think i may try to add a couple small Barnacle Blennies or something along those lines as well 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I added a beautiful Yellow Sea Whip Gorgonian to the left rock structure and I think it looks great there! The tank is still pretty new but I'm really enjoying it so far.

Going to be adding quite a bit to the reef over the next month or so!

FTS with Gorgonian added

Screenshot_20190711-195024_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2

I want to add a couple more small nano fish to the reef. I love fish where its not always super easy to see them. Kind of like diving on a reef where the closer one looks, the more one sees.

To go with that theme, I got a pretty cool male Sailfin Blenny. He ate within a minute of being in the tank as well which is always good to see.

I was able to snag a pretty cool picture of him in a rock crevice

Screenshot_20190711-195707_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2
On 7/13/2019 at 9:23 AM, DutchNanoReefer88 said:

That´s a nice fellow! 🙂 And you have enough coralline algae on your rocks. 😉

Thanks!! ... the rock is absolutely covered in it lol. I love the look of it!!

• 3 months later...

I have been awful at updating this thread but the tank has been doing really well! I am seeing nice coral growth and I have added quite a bit of Montipora on left side. I'm really liking the look of the scape at this point!

I will be updating a lot more but here is a picture of it as of today!

20191020_133035-01.jpeg

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...