Coral Vue Hydros

Colin's IM 30L

colinadam

This isn't going to get wet for another month or so but I am so excited to get this build started! 

I was inspired to upgrade from my BioCube 16g to the IM 30L after seeing @dcNano build thread. This is an awesome tank with a unique footprint and it will be my first non-cube tank (Nanocube/Biocube). 

Here's the hardware: 

Innovative Marine 30L AIO with APS Aluminum Stand

Lighting: AI Prime HD with 12” Flex Mounts (x2)

Replacement Pump: Sicce 2.0 (568/gph)

Additional In Tank Powerhead: Hydor KPS Wavemaker

Heater: 75W Eheim

Skimmer: IM Midsize NuvoSkim

ATO: Smart ATO Micro

Intank: Surface Skimmer (x2) and Floss Holder (x2)

5# Stax Rock

Items coming from 16g Biocube:

15# Live Rock

Fish:

Helfrichi Firefish

SPS:

AquaSD Blackmetal Milli

ORA Green Birdsnest

Bubblegum Digi

Orange Digi

Orange Monti Cap

Blazing Inferno Monti

LPS:

Neon Green Candycane

Acan (4 different color variants)

Frogspawn

Blast Welsi (2 different variants)

Favia

Softies:

Pulsing Xenia

Florida Ricordia

Zoa’s & Paly’s

Future Plans

Fish:

Mystery Wrasse (My all-time favorite fish)

Midas Blenny

Gladiator Clown pair

Inverts:

Peppermint Shrimp

Pom Pom Crab

• Like 2

Have to have some pics in a build thread so I figured I would upload a pic of the equipment, how I arranged the Stax Rock (Thanks to Reef Weld), the tank and the Helfrichi that the livestock plan will flow around 🙂 

20190629_124539.jpg

20190630_141930.jpg

20190630_142247.jpg

Helfrichi.jpg

• Like 4

Plans look good - remember with 1 Prime you need to center your rockwork accordingly. One prime won’t be able to cover full spread of the tank (you could always put lower light corals on the ends)

Haha, that was just a small sample size! 

Booze and fish, top two priorities 🙂

(Also I have 2 AI Primes, just haven't unboxed the other yet). 

20190707_140956.jpg

• Like 1

Nice!!!!!! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

What kind of overflow boxes are those? I'm looking for some too to raise my water height. I tried using flat plastic pieces but then I get water slushing noises--the overflow boxes should be more quiet since the water will drop to the original level before it goes into the overflows.

3 hours ago, dcNano said:

Nice!!!!!! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

What kind of overflow boxes are those? I'm looking for some too to raise my water height. I tried using flat plastic pieces but then I get water slushing noises--the overflow boxes should be more quiet since the water will drop to the original level before it goes into the overflows.

I went with the InTank surface skimmer, heard that using them raises the water level in the display. 

I'm excited for the tank but dont want the water level to be so far below the top of the tank. 

3 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Looks like you have enough wall space for a 125 gallon instead =P

Then I wouldnt be welcome here 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • 2 weeks later...

The 30L is slowly getting there, plan to get it wet in August. 

Picked up a Ponape Birdsnest and JF Jack o Lantern Lepto at a LFS for cheap today. Amazing pieces 

20190720_130134.jpg

20190721_140950-01.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

The cycle starts now. 

Picked up a small piece of live rock from the LFS to seed the Staxx rock and the dead piece. 

Fighting bubble algae and aiptasia in the BC16 so the rock in there will be bleached before going in the 30L. 

IMG_20190908_190304_705.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, colinadam said:

Fighting bubble algae and aiptasia in the BC16 so the rock in there will be bleached before going in the 30L.

Is this (from your other thread) what you're referring to, or has something bad happened between that pic and what you're describing?   (Can you post a pic of the problem area(s)?)

20190811_095504-01.thumb.jpeg.273fb69289

I was just paging through that thread and none of the pics seemed to show anything that looked like a problem. 

Don't be so down on that little tank!!!  🙂  🙂  🙂 

IMO it looks like a new tank that's just going through some VERY MINOR uglies. 

Bleaching rock is one of those weird trends in the hobby.....it seems like it would be a mistake to go bleach-nuclear when the rock is just getting rev'd up.

Based on pics, whatever pests appear to be minor....which should mean they are easy to deal with by hand without wasting everything.

• 1 month later...

About halfway through the exchange this weekend. 

Still have a lot of work to do on getting stuff moved over, then figuring out the AI Prime settings I want long term. 

20191013_085054.jpg

And my ORA Gladiator and Black Ice Clown pair. 

20191013_085018.jpg

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Helfrichi did ok for a few days after the tank transfer then went MIA, presumed dead which is a bummer. 

Not sure what fish additions will be made down the road...

20191014_214000.jpg

• Sad 2

Holy cow. Just found the Helfrichi, over 2 weeks since I last saw him he has been chilling in the sump. I looked in when he first went MIA and never saw him but the little jerk is back there alive and kicking it 😂 

Rescue mission is next up....

20191103_133327.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 2

Reintroduced the drama queen back to the main tank today after almost 3 weeks in the rear chamber and a week in isolation fattening him back up. 

I bought new smaller mesh and literally while that was in transit the yellow wrasse went carpet surfing. 

Can't win, that's for sure. 

20191110_084544.jpg

• Sad 3

Got a few nice shots of the tank. My LFS has had this awesome Mystery Wrasse for the last month, now that my lid is solid couldn't resist. 

20191110_214552-01.jpeg

20191110_124747-01.jpeg

20191110_124730-01.jpeg

• Like 4

Got this frag (between the two orange digi's) from Cherry Corals at Aquashella. 

Sold as an ASD Rainbow if I remember right and it is coloring up amazing. Pink base and green polyps, will be a showstopper once it grows out more. 

20191110_214622-01.jpeg

• Like 2