Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New Mandarin Goby Disappeared in Sump

infernotower

infernotower

My tank is fairly new but I managed to get some chaeto from an LFS and it turns out it came with some nice copepods. After a couple of weeks I noticed my refugium is thriving with pods so I decided to get a small mandarin goby. The problem is, i'm worried he wouldn't get the pods down to the bottom as the residents on the main display are competitive, so I decided to put him down on my refugium first until he gets bigger. He seemed happy at first hiding under the chaeto but the next day he just disappeared...

I tried looking inside the chaeto, he couldn't have jumped outside the sump since the water was too low to jump past the sump (tried looking as well), not on the sump sock, skimmer and return pump... where could he be... any ideas? Poor guy... he was too young 😞

3 minutes ago, infernotower said:

My tank is fairly new but I managed to get some chaeto from an LFS and it turns out it came with some nice copepods. After a couple of weeks I noticed my refugium is thriving with pods so I decided to get a small mandarin goby. The problem is, i'm worried he wouldn't get the pods down to the bottom as the residents on the main display are competitive, so I decided to put him down on my refugium first until he gets bigger. He seemed happy at first hiding under the chaeto but the next day he just disappeared...

I tried looking inside the chaeto, he couldn't have jumped outside the sump since the water was too low to jump past the sump (tried looking as well), not on the sump sock, skimmer and return pump... where could he be... any ideas? Poor guy... he was too young 😞

that is a hard one. I would just look at every rock and move things out, small chance he didn't make it and wilted away quick? You sure it didn't jump? I doubt it too.. 

sorry mate 😕 granted new tanks usually do not have that many pods. It takes time for populations to build up and a mandarin can deplete pretty easily. 

infernotower
2 minutes ago, Matteo said:

that is a hard one. I would just look at every rock and move things out, small chance he didn't make it and wilted away quick? You sure it didn't jump? I doubt it too.. 

sorry mate 😕 granted new tanks usually do not have that many pods. It takes time for populations to build up and a mandarin can deplete pretty easily. 

I don't have rocks on my sump. just a bit of sand that made its way there for some reasons but he should've been fairly easy to find. Even if he doesn't make it, there's no cuc on the sump to take care of him. He's quite small tho. probably less than an inch and pretty dark coloured for a mandarin goby (i assume that's their natural color when they're young)

I'm both curious and worried at the same time. how could this have happened? 😞🤔

13 minutes ago, infernotower said:

I don't have rocks on my sump. just a bit of sand that made its way there for some reasons but he should've been fairly easy to find. Even if he doesn't make it, there's no cuc on the sump to take care of him. He's quite small tho. probably less than an inch and pretty dark coloured for a mandarin goby (i assume that's their natural color when they're young)

I'm both curious and worried at the same time. how could this have happened? 😞🤔

tiny fish that can get caught in anything... baffles, skimmer, return pump...you have no rock for him down below. I would have left in DT

• Like 1

Probably tried to escape and ended up in a pump and possibly died. They are also good jumpers, they don't look like they would be, but boy they can launch themselves well. 

I would not replace him tbh... it is normal for a young tank to have a pod explosion, then the numbers die off. A mandy can not survive in a typical fuge on pods alone as the numbers would surely decrease..... nor is a fuge a natural safe feeling habitat for a mandy, they won't like living there. They need a safe space with rock and a top so they can't jump away from pumps/skimmers, ect. 

As far as cuc, the pods and worms would have started to eat the body too. If you dismantle your pumps, you may find the body inside one of them. 

• Like 4

If you had him in your sump with the possibility of flowing into the return pump he probably got sucked. Mandarin gobies sleep walk at night / sleep swim, they just float around like a piece of plastic all over the water column and probably flowed in your return chamber and got sucked by the pump to pieces.

7 minutes ago, Natereef said:

If you had him in your sump with the possibility of flowing into the return pump he probably got sucked. Mandarin gobies sleep walk at night / sleep swim, they just float around like a piece of plastic all over the water column and probably flowed in your return chamber and got sucked by the pump to pieces.

I always thought that was a bad thing when in the past mine did that, are they just asleep????

On 7/1/2019 at 9:37 AM, Matteo said:

I always thought that was a bad thing when in the past mine did that, are they just asleep????

Yes they are just asleep.

• Like 2

Mine never blew around when asleep, the scooters would bury in the sand and the mandy's would hunker down and go pale somewhere in the rocks/algae. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Tamberav said:

Mine never blew around when asleep, the scooters would bury in the sand and the mandy's would hunker down and go pale somewhere in the rocks/algae. 

Same. None of mine ever blew around. 

13 hours ago, Matteo said:

Wouldn't they just get munched on in the wild? 

In the wild they would hide between rocks and corals and wedge themselves in between. In captivity we dont really have as much intricate nooks and crannies in our rocks for them to do so. Some systems do some systems dont. Thats probably why some people never had the problem but a lot of people also had the same experience of them getting blown around.

• Like 1
Snow_Phoenix

None of mine ever blew around in the tank during night time. My Scooters would bury themselves in the sandbed and the mandarins would gray-out/turn very, very pale and stick to one spot throughout the night (as Tamberav has mentioned). This whole mandarin 'sleep-swims' is something new to me. Is it because the circulation was too much in the tank? 🤔

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Really good chance it all happens at night when you know...you are all asleep? 😄 

I don't sleep at night 🙂 or too much at all 😛 

Your google results link doesn't seem to have any recent results. Not to say they aren't there. Not saying it's not a thing either. Just something I've never seen with the 3 pairs of mandarins I've owned. 

I check randomly through the night too. Not specifically for mandarins, but for coral health and to check for any errant pests. 

Guess you learn something new everyday.