Coral Vue Hydros

DIY Internal Sump

Brophy

Hi Guys,

Wonder if you can help me by taking a look over my next planned tank with internal sump. It's the first time I've ever looked at having a sump as I've always kept nano's with everything thrown in the display 😔

I'm having a tank custom made to fit my alcove which is 840mm x 400mm x 400mm. (Apologies, I work in mm not inches 😛)

I've got my planned 5mm acrylic sheet 100mm from the back of the tank and it's 15mm shorter than the height of the tank, just in case anything happens. The partitions between the areas have 40mm between either the top or bottom of the sheet depending on its location.

Is there anything wrong with it or do you have any recommendations? (Ignore the 'block' in the skimmer section, it was just the rough dimensions of my skimmer to make sure it fit)

Front View:

Front.thumb.png.58ea80bfc840574277bdde1e117b4ca5.png

Isometric View:

Isometric.png.1e256e17549d7cb8007f21c3f6c99fea.png

Top View:

Top.thumb.png.2f038b7c823b50568e9a30b171a13edc.png

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Okay so 33" x 15.74" x 15.74" you metric son of a biscuit! 😄 gonna be a sweet size and shape. 

Looks good, what equipment you looking at? Skimmer, return pump, etc!? 

Overall I can't see anything wrong with it. 

• Thanks 1

My current 74 litre consists of two clownfish, few hermit crabs, snails and a cleaner shrimp. Doesn't have any mechanical filtration in it, just the clean up crew and live rock. 

t5Bk3K5.thumb.jpg.093281a3eba9f2091279d6f58721a6b1.jpg

Going to reuse the stuff I already have, but might need some help determining the return pump size and pipe fittings. 

Current 75 litre tank equipment consists of:

2 x Fluval Sea CP1

Fluval Sea PS1 skimmer

100W heater

Cheers for taking a look. 

• Like 1

Yeah I see nothing wrong with the drawing. Just be sure to give yourself enough room to house the skimmer,return pumps ect. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Brophy said:

My current 74 litre consists of two clownfish, few hermit crabs, snails and a cleaner shrimp. Doesn't have any mechanical filtration in it, just the clean up crew and live rock. 

t5Bk3K5.thumb.jpg.093281a3eba9f2091279d6f58721a6b1.jpg

Going to reuse the stuff I already have, but might need some help determining the return pump size and pipe fittings. 

Current 75 litre tank equipment consists of:

2 x Fluval Sea CP1

Fluval Sea PS1 skimmer

100W heater

Cheers for taking a look. 

I see, I do not think the CP1's will be enough flow for the new build. You may want to upgrade. Heater also maybe a bit small, I would go 200watt min. Skimmer should be fine. For a return pump I would get a silent controllable DC return pump. MightJet by IM or Swirlstation on Amazon, or Jeabo DC pumps are good. 

Most AIO tanks use 1/2" (12.7mm) fittings and hosing

• Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, Matteo said:

I see, I do not think the CP1's will be enough flow for the new build. You may want to upgrade. Heater also maybe a bit small, I would go 200watt min. Skimmer should be fine. For a return pump I would get a silent controllable DC return pump. MightJet by IM or Swirlstation on Amazon, or Jeabo DC pumps are good. 

Most AIO tanks use 1/2" (12.7mm) fittings and hosing

Thanks for the help all. 

Do you have any recommendations on the powerheads? 

2 minutes ago, Brophy said:

Thanks for the help all. 

Do you have any recommendations on the powerheads? 

The jaebos are good little powerheads, I really liked my Current USA Eflux's if. If you want to go big $$$ and not have to worry ever again I would get a Nero 5 or an MP10. 

• Thanks 1

I used numerous jebao rw4's and never had issues. I have their dc650 pump as well,I've just tested it never really put it to use. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your skimmer chamber might be too deep for some skimmers to function correctly if you were to place the skimmer on the bottom of the chamber. If the skimmer is dependent on a certain water level, you could build a stand or platform for the skimmer out of egg crate or something similar. Just something to think about when considering skimmers. Otherwise, very nice design.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, matth6761 said:

Your skimmer chamber might be too deep for some skimmers to function correctly if you were to place the skimmer on the bottom of the chamber. If the skimmer is dependent on a certain water level, you could build a stand or platform for the skimmer out of egg crate or something similar. Just something to think about when considering skimmers. Otherwise, very nice design.

Cheers, the fluval sea ps1 does have a min and max line, so I'll make sure to take that into account. 

I'll be buying bits and bobs over the next few weeks/months, once I start the build I will make sure to post the pics as I put it all together. 

Thank you all very much for the help, really appreciate it 👍

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Just wondering now that I've looked at it again, do I need all the partitions/baffles I have designed? I'm just wondering if its needed as a AIO.

Would there be any negative effects if I removed say these two?

Front.png.4e748b88b0fd794282e184155af36994.thumb.png.e2423d7bbcf8b5f51ce571070b85ee51.png

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Brophy said:

Hi Guys,

Just wondering now that I've looked at it again, do I need all the partitions/baffles I have designed? I'm just wondering if its needed as a AIO.

Would there be any negative effects if I removed say these two?

Front.png.4e748b88b0fd794282e184155af36994.thumb.png.e2423d7bbcf8b5f51ce571070b85ee51.png

You could remove the left one but I wouldn't remove the right one. that way there is a nice divide between return pump and refug. Don't want a bunch of loose chaeto or whatever in your return pump

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Matteo said:

You could remove the left one but I wouldn't remove the right one. that way there is a nice divide between return pump and refug. Don't want a bunch of loose chaeto or whatever in your return pump

Good shout, cheers 👍

• Like 1