Cultivated Reef

Please help - Leptastrea Dying

Daniel91

Everything else is doing great - parameters are all close to standard blue bucket Red Sea parameters. My lepta seems to be dying, rtn’ing with this red slime.

It’s been doing it for a few days now - low light, medium flow. 

infection? E3EA003B-67E7-49AD-9A48-1C17AB9354DF.thumb.jpeg.17f5e928c8242666cbfabbe30bd071f1.jpeg

Nano sapiens

Leptastrea are very hardy corals.  If they don't have enough light, the polyps will try to expand and stretch towards the light.  If there is some type of infection, they'll shrivel and withdraw into the skeleton (I'd try a freshwater dip with iodine for this).

Place into medium light and flow.  This is one of the so called 'zombie corals', so even if the coral looks like it's dead it'll often come back again.

Good luck!

• Like 3
  • 5 weeks later...

A full tank shot may help, but it's hard to tell though a photo and I don't know how bright the tank is in general...is it in dark shade, or is it just a little shaded yet still getting a lot of light?

Also, that rock looks NAKED-clean...should be seeing some coverage with algae and/or detritus.  

How old is the tank?   Are there phosphates and nitrates available according to your testing?  (test them if you haven't)

Is there any sign of green or coraline algae growing in the tank?

zoomed in, the polyps look extended and healthy with no sign of rtn or exposed skeleton. I've never seen a coral with an infection that gives off a red slime and doesn't mean it can't exist, but It looks like red cyanobacteria which could be bothersome to corals. If you have a turkey baster, take it and gently blast it away or carefully siphon it out.

Thanks everybody.

Just updating the thread - I moved it to a better light spot and it has definitely improved with no sign of the slimy stuff.

I do believe it was a mix between injury and shaded light.