ReefCleaners.org

Weird Anemone-like thing

Frag Factory

Frag Factory

Hey guys,

Spotted this today in my tank, very curious what it is (and where it came from...). 

I've not added anything to my tank for a while, kind of confused how it got into it. 

Here's a couple of images, it kind of looks half anemone with ball like ends that remind me of a torch coral.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks!

They don’t ever seem to cause problems.  One showed up in my tank soon after it was set up.  Now, 2.5 years later I rarely see it as it has slowly migrated to a deep crack.  It seems to have grown to about 3 inches over the years.  When I feed corals it sometimes extends tentacles out to catch food.  It is an old friend.

• Like 2

I have never heard about one that became a pest.  They belong to Pseudocorynactis, there are several species.  One only gets to 1 cm or so and another gets to 10 cm.

They are not actually anemones per se but more related to mushrooms, think Ricordea.  There is one species that is orange, I have seem those for sale.

I had them many years ago when I started my first tank.  Loved em.  They never really spread anywhere, didn't grow very big at all, and never bothered anything.  One of them even was posted up right under my dendro so it got little bits of extra missed food when I fed my dendros at night.   Neither seemed to bother each other even though the ball tips definitely could touch some polyps.

The only 'negative' I ever felt about em was the fact that they are night time animals lol.  Makes it harder to enjoy em when you have to flashlight em.

• Like 1